What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Maximus

Coach
So any positive articles about PNG are fanciful. Any negative articles are spot on. The proposal is ridiculous. The funding is now inadequate. The bid is over. All this without a reliable source as to what is actually proposed? Well played men. Trial by speculation.

Weren't you and your mates speculating the other day that it was going to get 10s of millions of dollars in sponsors.

Vlad59

Bench
Weren't you and your mates speculating the other day that it was going to get 10s of millions of dollars in sponsors.
My position is this. Until there is a bid I’m in no position to have an opinion on its merits. I have no idea who the ‘mates’ are by the way. I’m happy to be disliked by everybody. Try again.

Canard

Immortal
Be interested to see what further negative press this generates.

Fox will never criticise PVL, but there sister channel Sky will gladly take up the mantle.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like the idea of pumping money into PNG’s domestic digicel cup competition so that every kumul sees the benefit of investment rather than just those in Port Moresby.
You'd think given the level of avg wage over there it wouldnt cost much to make digicell cup a FT competition, relatively speaking?
Imprve that comp, imprve their facilities and crowds, get Foxtel screening 2 or 3 games a week from there.
Get another Qlnd cup team in from other part of PNG, get elite kids teams in the qlnd comps,
get all qlnd NRL clubs to offer 3 train and trial places to PNG players, salary cap exempt. Bingo!

Vlad59

Bench
Be interested to see what further negative press this generates.

Fox will never criticise PVL, but there sister channel Sky will gladly take up the mantle.
I’m sure that with your relentless subjective negativity you’d be a great asset to them. You could label everybody in favour of the proposal a ‘dick head’ and, without a shred of evidence to back your claims yell down anybody who disagrees with you. You can then go into a corner and suck your thumb..

final say

Juniors
The reality though, is that PNG has far greater funding needs then Rugby League.

RL is about 999 on a list of 1000.
To be fair, PNG has something crazy like 1000 different languages and tribes.. only a very young country. Sport ( in this case Rugby league) is a major unifying thing and that will help many of the problems that they face.
Community's are built around sports .

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m sure that with your relentless subjective negativity you’d be a great asset to them. You could label everybody in favour of the proposal a ‘dick head’ and, without a shred of evidence to back your claims yell down anybody who disagrees with you. You can then go into a corner and suck your thumb..
I dont think we need to see the bid proposal to have a reasonable opinion on the massive challenges of starting up a $35mill a year professional sports club in a developing country rife with serious crime, lacking basic amenities, plagued by corruption and political instability tbf.

And thats before we get into the logistical issues, the need for years of player development and huge sums of money to produce first graders, the need for the club to not actually be in that country, the total reliance on Govt funding and so it goes on.

In the grand scheme of forming opinions I think most people's skepticism about the long term viability of this idea is warranted.

Perth Red

Post Whore
To be fair, PNG has something crazy like 1000 different languages and tribes.. only a very young country. Sport ( in this case Rugby league) is a major unifying thing and that will help many of the problems that they face.
Community's are built around sports .
Can you think of any major social, financial or health change that has occurred in a country due to a professional sports teams admission to a comp?

Vlad59

Bench
I dont think we need to see the bid proposal to have a reasonable opinion on the massive challenges of starting up a $35mill a year professional sports club in a developing country rife with serious crime, lacking basic amenities, plagued by corruption and political instability tbf.

And thats before we get into the logistical issues, the need for years of player development and huge sums of money to produce first graders, the need for the club to not actually be in that country, the total reliance on Govt funding and so it goes on.

In the grand scheme of forming opinions I think most people's skepticism about the long term viability of this idea is warranted.
The only way I see a bid being rational and acceptable is if it is part of a bigger strategy to improve the living standards across the country. It needs to be more than just a footy club. Got a feeling I might be disappointed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The only way I see a bid being rational and acceptable is if it is part of a bigger strategy to improve the living standards across the country. It needs to be more than just a footy club. Got a feeling I might be disappointed.
I think thats what most on here, and people like Olam are saying. Dont pss the money away on a load of aussies living in Cairns and fifo'ing into Port Moresby a handful of days a year, build the infrastructure and pathways in PNG then have a genuine PNG club in PNG when all of that has matured. But thats not rugba leagues way, long term strategy is over rated apparently. We should have been investing in NZ for last decade along with WA and other states, but we remain short sighted.

Vlad59

Bench
I think thats what most on here, and people like Olam are saying. Dont pss the money away on a load of aussies living in Cairns and fifo'ing into Port Moresby a handful of days a year, build the infrastructure and pathways in PNG then have a genuine PNG club in PNG when all of that has matured. But thats not rugba leagues way, long term strategy is over rated apparently. We should have been investing in NZ for last decade along with WA and other states, but we remain short sighted.
Well all the noise is coming out of PNG at the moment. I’d like to see Perth as the 18th club personally. Great time slot. Good for the national footprint. Massive growing economy. Solid RL tradition and money all over the place.

Latest posts