What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Good on them and they are right after all.
I don't know what can be done to make PNG a better country. What I do know is it ain't a football team full of tax-dodging Aussies.

Roads. Schools. Hospitals. Building more of them will help. If the Aus Gov pays Australian companies and tradies to build them then it's a win-win for both countries.

docbrown

Coach
Most Australians are against this proposal.
Based on what objective data? The opinions of a bunch of people on a rugby league forum? I hate to break it to you but most Australians can't even point to Port Moresby on a map.

Yea I don't think that's fair. My negativity on the team comes from NZ2/Perth/QLD5 all being better options for Rugby League and the NRL. They're shooting for the sky in PNG and I just don't see it working. Hoping I'm proven wrong and we're earballs deep in PNG talent in 20yrs. But calling anybody opposed to the team racist, or even worse an AFL fan, isn't the go mate.
A PNG club existing does not stop that NZ2, Perth or QLD5 from existing. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I do find it interesting though that some people say that another team in Brisbane is need before a PNG club, when fans in Brisbane now have 2 to pick from and people in PNG don't.

I'm not saying everyone that is against PNG is racist, an AFL fan or against giving Australian money to poor people in other countries. But yes, a lot of the people involved are saying racist or classist things on this forum. And just be careful who you are aligning yourself with. You lay down with dogs you're going to get fleas.

Quite the opposite actually. Most of the money is going to benefit rich, white Australians and corrupt politicians. You and your mates want money to be taken off kids in poverty to benefit rich white people. You and your mates want those rich white people to not have to pay tax so they can get even more rich white people who pay no tax.

I'd suggest the racists are the ones who wanted money to be taken out of the existing aid budget so it could be given to the NRL and NRL players.
Half the money is going to pathways in the Pacific Islands, not rich white Australians. As that is half of the overall the funding, then your argument that MOST is going to rich white Australians is obviously bullshit and fails on all logical grounds.

They're not taking money away from anybody. Nobody is snatching money out of poor kids hands and giving it to rich white people. That is pure hyperbole. This is just another increase in funding, as has consistently happened over the past 15 years of funding to PNG. This is going to encourage more poor kids to go to school. You are making this comments as a privileged richer Australian who likely has never stepped foot in one of these villages in PNG, which unlike you, I actually have.

It's also lovely to see you describing politicians in PNG as corrupt in one broad thoughtless stereotype.

1717291909578.png

Based on what objective data? The opinions of a bunch of people on a rugby league forum? I hate to break it to you but most Australians can't even point to Port Moresby on a map.

A PNG club existing does not stop that NZ2, Perth or QLD5 from existing. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I do find it interesting though that some people say that another team in Brisbane is need before a PNG club, when fans in Brisbane now have 2 to pick from and people in PNG don't.

I'm not saying everyone that is against PNG is racist, an AFL fan or against giving Australian money to poor people in other countries. But yes, a lot of the people involved are saying racist or classist things on this forum. And just be careful who you are aligning yourself with. You lay down with dogs you're going to get fleas.

Half the money is going to pathways in the Pacific Islands, not rich white Australians. As that is half of the overall the funding, then your argument that MOST is going to rich white Australians is obviously bullshit and fails on all logical grounds.

They're not taking money away from anybody. Nobody is snatching money out of poor kids hands and giving it to rich white people. That is pure hyperbole. This is just another increase in funding, as has consistently happened over the past 15 years of funding to PNG. This is going to encourage more poor kids to go to school. You are making this comments as a privileged richer Australian who likely has never stepped foot in one of these villages in PNG, which unlike you, I actually have.

It's also lovely to see you describing politicians in PNG as corrupt in one broad thoughtless stereotype.

View attachment 89006
Australia isn't in a position to waste money on a foreign country when its debt is through the roof and growing.

PNG has its own national RL competition. Port Moresby has a team in the Queensland Cup.

If we give an NRL licence and $600m to PNG then what is stopping Fiji, Tonga and Samoa from demanding the same treatment?

Brisbane can support a third NRL team. PNG cannot support one at Queensland Cup level without assistance from Aus Gov.

Wb1234

Referee
Australia isn't in a position to waste money on a foreign country when its debt is through the roof and growing.

PNG has its own national RL competition. Port Moresby has a team in the Queensland Cup.

If we give an NRL licence and $600m to PNG then what is stopping Fiji, Tonga and Samoa from demanding the same treatment?

Brisbane can support a third NRL team. PNG cannot support one at Queensland Cup level without assistance from Aus Gov.
So let’s say png was still a colony it would be ok ? Australia took a lot of resources out of there

Colk

First Grade

Mate it is in the interests of a governments like ours to issue foreign aid in order to promote some sort of economic and social stability around the world. Foreign aid is a good thing. You could argue whether this proposal is good but foreign aid is a good thing because it pays for itself in the long run.

MugaB

Coach

Oh but we are, coz somehow this is happening, and debt through the roof isn't caused by anything else but corporate greed pushing up cost of living, and we are doing zero about it, but sure blame is fir giving some to foreign aid

docbrown

Coach

Australia has given money to foreign countries as a form of diplomacy for a long time. Long before the idea of a PNG NRL team. We want our regional neighbours to be more stable and more aligned to our own interests. Most countries do this regardless of their debt levels. If you stop doing this, then you create a void in poorer countries that are more likely to have that funding void filled by another country that might have opposing interests to Australia. In which case, you'll see fewer Australian companies operating in PNG and more from that other opposing power. Be it China, Indonesia or whoever. However, all of this is beyond the scope of a rugby league forum.

Our debt is growing because we've put all our eggs in housing and mining and we don't tax the right groups enough. We're on par with African countries in terms of our economic diversification. We're a stupid country filled with stupid voters run by stupid leaders in a stupid two party system. We are headed to an American styled declining/failing democracy. We only a generation from a Trump of our own, maybe not even that.

Yes PNG has it owns RL comp and team. Hence why the government is using rugby league to shore up the relationship. If PNG was interested in fumbleball then they'd be using that.

Again - the $600 million isn't all going to PNG. It is also going to Fiji, Tonga and Samoa player pathways. And yes, these countries all the time threaten to go to other countries if Australia doesn't fund certain things. And sometimes they do. It all comes down to choices as to where we see value and what we're trying to avoid. If we can grow rugby league, strength connections between PNG & Australia and prevent a Chinese military presence from happening in PNG, then that's achieving multiple objectives. For $60 million a year, that's not that bad.

docbrown

Coach
Mate it is in the interests of a governments like ours to issue foreign aid in order to promote some sort of economic and social stability around the world. Foreign aid is a good thing. You could argue whether this proposal is good but foreign aid is a good thing because it pays for itself in the long run.
This is why I visit this forum! To discuss the nuances of foreign aid diplomacy.

You're 100% right though.

docbrown

Coach
I've done enough work in politics to tell you this. Whenever people say "it's not the right time to do this" because of whatever reason, the truth is they just don't want to do it all. Australia could have a $400 billion surplus and it still wouldn't be the right time. We all have our agendas. Some want an expansion bid in their city and not PNG. Others are AFL trolls. Others are racists and don't like giving money to poor people. For those people, there will never be a right time for PNG.

BuffaloRules

Coach

View attachment 89006

Ive never been one to oppose the PNG expansion on the basis of the “ what about the hospitals and clean drinking water over there ?” argument … Aust is the biggest aid provider to PNG already and the amount in question is a drop in the bucket, compared with other proposed govt spending like the $300B on 6 nuclear submarines…. which is really just being done to keep the US happy and pay them some rent money to live under their nuclear umbrella ..

I just ask the question if this new team is in the best interests of the NRL in the long term? I have thought this move was inevitable as soon as PNG requested it … its been doing the rounds of the diplomatic circles for sometime i have heard … apparently this is PNG‘s price for telling China to F off ..and whilst this will hardly be binding to them in the long term …maybe Aust and USA don’t care about the long term and just want to get past the next decade or so when what might happen in Taiwan is likely brought to a head …

However just because I think it might be inevitable doesn’t mean I think it’s a good idea..

I just don’t see what’s in it for NRL… there must be more to it than the money being quoted as the hassle is immense for the NRL …. there is the obvious security risks of having AustralIans based there and probably a couple hundred away fans travelling over there every game…the team and games would also become a high profile terrorist target in a country sharing a porous land border with IndonesIa… its a pain for broadcasters as well…

I think that PNG is decades away from generating meaningful NRL playing numbers like NZ does now…and by then the Govt money will be long spent ..

Unless there are other favours to come we don’t know about..it just doesn’t seem worth it to me when other expansion areas are jumping to get in …with a lot less hassle that might even bring in more money longer term …

Australia has given money to foreign countries as a form of diplomacy for a long time. Long before the idea of a PNG NRL team. We want our regional neighbours to be more stable and more aligned to our own interests. Most countries do this regardless of their debt levels. If you stop doing this, then you create a void in poorer countries that are more likely to have that funding void filled by another country that might have opposing interests to Australia. In which case, you'll see fewer Australian companies operating in PNG and more from that other opposing power. Be it China, Indonesia or whoever. However, all of this is beyond the scope of a rugby league forum.

Our debt is growing because we've put all our eggs in housing and mining and we don't tax the right groups enough. We're on par with African countries in terms of our economic diversification. We're a stupid country filled with stupid voters run by stupid leaders in a stupid two party system. We are headed to an American styled declining/failing democracy. We only a generation from a Trump of our own, maybe not even that.

Yes PNG has it owns RL comp and team. Hence why the government is using rugby league to shore up the relationship. If PNG was interested in fumbleball then they'd be using that.

Again - the $600 million isn't all going to PNG. It is also going to Fiji, Tonga and Samoa player pathways. And yes, these countries all the time threaten to go to other countries if Australia doesn't fund certain things. And sometimes they do. It all comes down to choices as to where we see value and what we're trying to avoid. If we can grow rugby league, strength connections between PNG & Australia and prevent a Chinese military presence from happening in PNG, then that's achieving multiple objectives. For $60 million a year, that's not that bad.
It's hard to swallow all of this foreign aid on a PNG-BASED football team when small businesses are struggling to survive because the idiots running the place are driving up the cost of living with dumb green policies and a high tax rate. The forced shut down of small businesses in 2020 and favouritism towards multinationals made things worse. You're right about our politicians and voters being dumb. They're also corrupt. Some times I feel like getting out of this country.

Maximus

Coach
8% of it is going to the NRL so they can bribe other clubs to agree to it. A further 16% is going to build a compound to protect the rich white Australians from the locals. And then we want to tell the PNG govt to allow those rich white people to pay no tax, putting the govt out of pocket by having to pay for all the services, but get no contribution back. But no apparently it's racist to oppose that.

Wb1234

Referee
I've done enough work in politics to tell you this. Whenever people say "it's not the right time to do this" because of whatever reason, the truth is they just don't want to do it all. Australia could have a $400 billion surplus and it still wouldn't be the right time. We all have our agendas. Some want an expansion bid in their city and not PNG. Others are AFL trolls. Others are racists and don't like giving money to poor people. For those people, there will never be a right time for PNG.
Nail on the head

covered all the reasons why people are anti png

Latest posts