What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

docbrown

Coach
We are called the ‘lucky’ country (as Spike Milligan once said) for a reason. Massively deluded like the Yanks in believing that some sort of inherent exceptionalism exists.

That’s why you get absolutely ignorant comments like why can’t poor countries be more like us or some sort of other incoherent babble because they have never been to first world countries. Unfortunately life is more about luck (or at least just as much) than hard work. People don’t want to believe that though because it would require a re-framing of their own ego

As Horne said: "Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise."

That lack of curiosity extends to the general population too. A bunch of morons who don't know how lucky they've got it, and totally unappreciative of it, who have convinced themselves that they are somehow inherently superior, whilst thumbing their nose at the poors, both here and abroad. All the while purposefully ignorant of the Sword of Damocles above their heads, a slight ill-wind, and the whole f**king house of cards will collapse.

We are called the ‘lucky’ country (as Spike Milligan once said) for a reason. Massively deluded like the Yanks in believing that some sort of inherent exceptionalism exists.

That’s why you get absolutely ignorant comments like why can’t poor countries be more like us or some sort of other incoherent babble because they have never been to first world countries. Unfortunately life is more about luck (or at least just as much) than hard work. People don’t want to believe that though because it would require a re-framing of their own ego
Europe didn't have much luck during the Dark Ages, did it?

Disease wiped out one-third of the population over several centuries. Invasions were frequent. Europeans worked their way out of poverty.

Canard

Immortal
Well considering that Australia is ranked 72 out of 179 countries for internet speeds I'm not sure if that's the hill you want to die on. For the record, the media cellular internet speed in PNG is 18.95 Mbps. It's lower than Australia's but there's places in Australia with speeds like that.

I am aware of the logistical challenges the team will have. I've said them multiple times on this forum. But that doesn't take away from the fact that you want to make out like people from PNG are savages who don't know how to use the internet or a mobile phone.

No I'm not a UN peacekeeper but here's a post from 2011 where I spoke about building water wells. The PNG expansion team wasn't even on the radar then. I still support this organisation financially. The different between you and I is that I've actually done things for the people of PNG that have made a direct positive impact on their lives. And you've whined about them on an internet forum.

You don't know anything about my background or heritage.

Unlike you, I don't constantly bring it up, to win internet points.

You keep ignoring the risk and challenges, and seemingly refuse to even discussit, without resorting to some childish slander.

It's no understatement to say this team will be by far the most challenging in all of world professional sports.

How are they going to attract players?
Where are there families going to live?
Will there schedule be limited to day games only?
How can they generate any non tax payer revenue?
What happens with a change of government? Or any political instability?
How will their pathways develop players?
Why have so few Papuans become NRL players to date?

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
The problem against PNG isn’t the money being spent (well it shouldn’t be because foreign aid is foreign aid and an increase in foreign aid is at worst unremarkable and at best socially beneficial) it is the logistics. Essentially it is a can it work argument.

Think of your own experience in PNG and others can reflect on their own in first world countries and then one can ask, how probable is it that this side is going to attract and keep players (sans something like a draft coming in) and secondly what happens when the government funding ceases to exist.

If it works wonderful but the solutions to these questions haven’t been particularly convincing thus far.
Honestly, I think the club will be privately funded by corporate backers after the initial 10 year government funding ends. There'll be enough of them who will want this club to work and be around long term.

Well considering that Australia is ranked 72 out of 179 countries for internet speeds I'm not sure if that's the hill you want to die on. For the record, the media cellular internet speed in PNG is 18.95 Mbps. It's lower than Australia's but there's places in Australia with speeds like that.

I am aware of the logistical challenges the team will have. I've said them multiple times on this forum. But that doesn't take away from the fact that you want to make out like people from PNG are savages who don't know how to use the internet or a mobile phone.

No I'm not a UN peacekeeper but here's a post from 2011 where I spoke about building water wells. The PNG expansion team wasn't even on the radar then. I still support this organisation financially. The different between you and I is that I've actually done things for the people of PNG that have made a direct positive impact on their lives. And you've whined about them on an internet forum.

Australia has shit fixed internet speeds because it is a sparsely populated island continent.

Did you know that Australians invented wifi?

docbrown

Coach
You don't know anything about my background or heritage.

Unlike you, I don't constantly bring it up, to win internet points.

You keep ignoring the risk and challenges, and seemingly refuse to even discuss it, without resorting to some childish slander.
I know you haven't been to PNG and your experience on the subject is limited to what you've read online.

I'm sorry that you think the people there don't know how to use the internet or what google is but the truth is different. And yes, that's racism. I don't care if you don't understand it. You don't seem to understand a lot of things.

Canard

Immortal
I know you haven't been to PNG and your experience on the subject is limited to what you've read online.

I'm sorry that you think the people there don't know how to use the internet or what google is but the truth is different. And yes, that's racism. I don't care if you don't understand it. You don't seem to understand a lot of things.
You keep ignoring the logistics for some petty internet points.

Childish behaviour

How are they going to attract players?
Where are there families going to live?
Will there schedule be limited to day games only?
How can they generate any non tax payer revenue?
What happens with a change of government? Or any political instability?
How will their pathways develop players?
Why have so few Papuans become NRL players to date?

What happens if Labor is voted out in a landslide?

Does the other mob continue with this deal?

How many deals have the various state and fed Govs torn up?

All valid questions.

I have zero faith in our politicians to do anything efficiently or to stand by their word.

Without sounding too pessimistic, I think life is going to get really tough in Australia over the next 20 years. We rely on foreign nationals buying prime real estate in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. There's only so much of it available and the result is young Aussies cannot afford to buy property in the places they need to live for work.

People aren't going to support $600m to a PNG football team and Pacific nations when they're struggling to afford a loaf of bread. It doesn't help that the ARLC has never been richer and is putting its hand out like a bum. RL is going to lose support due to its greed. That'll be the legacy of V'landys, Beattie and Jones.

Canard

Immortal
Nobody is going to blame any organisation for accepting government funding (bribes?).

The government is, and should be, the one's held responsible.

It's like blaming a player for being selected for Origin.

Colk

First Grade
Europe didn't have much luck during the Dark Ages, did it?

Disease wiped out one-third of the population over several centuries. Invasions were frequent. Europeans worked their way out of poverty.

Mate, Europe worked their way out of poverty through slavery and conquest in the most part. Heck European history is riddled with internecine wars and battles and after 1494 with the Treaty of Tordesillas and the commencement of colonial empires therein began the essential raping of other cultures and their resources (Africa, South America and parts of lower Asia).

Do you suggest that a) it is likely to happen in the future or a likely course of action for poorer countries now (i.e are there vast swaths of land that they can pilfer or a bunch of people that they can put in bondage and b) do you think that this something we should do

Europeans aren’t more enlightened than other races of people. Heck, the Chinese Empires of the Song and Ming for instance were arguably more advanced than the Europeans at the time. The Europeans overtook them mainly through the advent of slavery and the conquest of land.

Colk

First Grade
Mate, Europe worked their way out of poverty through slavery and conquest in the most part. Heck European history is riddled with internecine wars and battles and after 1494 with the Treaty of Tordesillas and the commencement of colonial empires therein began the essential raping of other cultures and their resources (Africa, South America and parts of lower Asia).

Do you suggest that a) it is likely to happen in the future or a likely course of action for poorer countries now (i.e are there vast swaths of land that they can pilfer or a bunch of people that they can put in bondage and b) do you think that this something we should do

Europeans aren’t more enlightened than other races of people. Heck, the Chinese Empires of the Song and Ming for instance were arguably more advanced than the Europeans at the time. The Europeans overtook them mainly through the advent of slavery and the conquest of land.

Btw the discovery of Americas which was a pretty big turning point was pretty lucky. It definitely wasn’t planned.

I never said Europeans are more enlightened. I said they worked their way out of poverty. Conquering faraway lands required knowledge and technological discoveries by smart minds who didn't sit on their arse all day waiting for some one to do it for them. The East Asians were just as good at it.

Japan turned itself into a manufacturing and technological hub after it was nuked.

China has made great leaps and strides after Mao's rule led to much of the country starving to death. Where there's will there's a way.

Look at the transformation of Poland since it was freed from the USSR in 1991!

Half a century earlier it was razed to the ground and lost 4.5m people. Joining the EU has helped, but the main reason behind its success is the will of its people to work hard and make something of themselves. Poland rebuilt itself after WWII without any assistance from rich white western countries.

Colk

First Grade
I never said Europeans are more enlightened. I said they worked their way out of poverty. Conquering faraway lands required knowledge and technological discoveries by smart minds who didn't sit on their arse all day waiting for some one to do it for them. The East Asians were just as good at it.

Japan turned itself into a manufacturing and technological hub after it was nuked.

China has made great leaps and strides after Mao's rule led to much of the country starving to death. Where there's will there's a way.

Look at the transformation of Poland since it was freed from the USSR in 1991!

Half a century earlier it was razed to the ground and lost 4.5m people. Joining the EU has helped, but the main reason behind its success is the will of its people to work hard and make something of themselves. Poland rebuilt itself after WWII without any assistance from rich white western countries.

Seriously mate you couldn’t come across as more ignorant if you tried.

All those examples either required brutal takeovers of other lands (something that shouldn’t be celebrated or is even an option now) or b) required massive flows of capital going into them because they served some strategic purpose - money flowed into China and Japan after Mao and WWII because there was money to be had.

More importantly, they all had or have access to resources - this is the important distinction.

You or I don’t work harder than some starving farmer in some African country riddled by civil conflicts, with no access to clean water or food. That is just f***** nonsense.

I would love to see somebody like yourself, go over to a third world country and tell somebody who has no access to food or clean water that they just need to ‘work harder’

Reactions: Vee

final say

Juniors
Three million+ people in PNG have internet access. That's more than the population of Brisbane. 37% of the population has a mobile phone.

Google is the biggest search engine in the world and their trends reflect broader internet user interest. Only an uninformed or biased person would think otherwise.

Saying that they have basically no internet coverage is racist. I know you want to look down on them as a bunch of primitives who have never seen a computer or mobile phone but the reality is different.
I was on board until the " racist " remark. f**k right off with that shit.

final say

Juniors
Honestly, I think the club will be privately funded by corporate backers after the initial 10 year government funding ends. There'll be enough of them who will want this club to work and be around long term.
Why? Corporations are pouring in 60 million a year out of the goodness of their hearts?
What planet are you on?

Latest posts