What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Seriously mate you couldn’t come across as more ignorant if you tried.

All those examples either required brutal takeovers of other lands (something that shouldn’t be celebrated or is even an option now) or b) required massive flows of capital going into them because they served some strategic purpose - money flowed into China and Japan after Mao and WWII because there was money to be had.

More importantly, they all had or have access to resources - this is the important distinction.

You or I don’t work harder than some starving farmer in some African country riddled by civil conflicts, with no access to clean water or food. That is just f***** nonsense.

I would love to see somebody like yourself, go over to a third world country and tell somebody who has no access to food or clean water that they just need to ‘work harder’

You cannot blame it all on war and conquest. Every civilisation has blood on its hands.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
A PNG club existing does not stop that NZ2, Perth or QLD5 from existing. The two aren't mutually exclusive. I do find it interesting though that some people say that another team in Brisbane is need before a PNG club, when fans in Brisbane now have 2 to pick from and people in PNG don't.

I'm not saying everyone that is against PNG is racist, an AFL fan or against giving Australian money to poor people in other countries. But yes, a lot of the people involved are saying racist or classist things on this forum. And just be careful who you are aligning yourself with. You lay down with dogs you're going to get fleas.

But it does. PNGs inclusion kills one of those teams. I can live with it if Perth and NZ2 are the next two(within a decade) but I think we are missing out waiting for QLD5 in that case.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Paywa

paywalled
Its just the clubs wanting more money. Means nothing really because they would be doing the same for any bid.

The NRL’s plan to expand into Papua New Guinea has hit a $170 million roadblock as the game’s existing clubs agitate for a greater slice of the pie in return for backing an 18th team.
This masthead reported earlier this week that the NRL and federal government were hopeful they would be in position to confirm PNG as the 18th team as early as July, as part of a $600 million deal designed to foster rugby league in the Pacific and fend off the threat of China.

That news prompted a flurry of text messages between the game’s existing club bosses as they sought to unify their stance on the 18th team and what they would expect in as a sweetener to back the bid.

It is understood the NRL and federal government have discussed paying the clubs as much as $60 million to be shared among them – each club would receive around $3.5 million in the form of a one-off payment.

It is believed the clubs preference is for an additional $2 million a season over and above player payments for at least five seasons from 2028, when the PNG is expected to enter the season.

In total, that would mean an extra $170 million in payments to the clubs in return for their support for a PNG franchise. The clubs raised the issue with NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo at a meeting prior to Magic Round and the matter is expected to heat up over the next month or so as an announcement on expansion edges closer.

ARLC Chairman Peter V'landys says he has spoken with the Australian government over a team in Papua New Guinea. Picture David Clark

ARLC Chairman Peter V'landys says he has spoken with the Australian government over a team in Papua New Guinea. Picture David Clark
ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys insisted no agreement had been struck with the federal government over PNG.

“There is no agreement at this stage,” V’landys said.

“It is certainly premature. It hasn’t gone to cabinet to start with and our board hasn’t signed off on it, so there’s no agreement.

“There were discussions held during Magic Round, but each party was due to come back, again, so there’s nothing concrete at this stage.

“I was surprised as to how this speculation started, because it certainly didn’t come from the NRL, put it that way.

“I won’t comment on confidential negotiations, because naturally I have to go to the members first with the details, which is the clubs.”

There have been suggestions players could be offered extra incentives to play for an 18th PNG franchise – including major tax breaks – given the security challenges that would accompany a move to PNG.

Papua New Guinea currently has the second highest crime rate of any country in the world and attracting players would be a major concern for any consortium hoping to field a competitive side.

Existing clubs have also privately raised concerns over players receiving tax breaks to move overseas.

[IMG alt="V’landys and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo have led the charge on PNG.
Picture: Justin Lloyd"]https://content.api.news/v3/images/bin/abff9bab1ebab9d40c8fbd371f439509[/IMG]
V’landys and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo have led the charge on PNG. Picture: Justin Lloyd
“Some of the clubs may raise that but we were criticised heavily before that we should have given more incentives for the Dolphins and given them salary-cap exemptions,” V’landys said.

“Here it won’t cost them one cent. If they agree, we will be in a position to go to the clubs and show them what our plan is. We want to make sure there is sufficient time for consultation from our members.

“You have to give the clubs the opportunity to provide analysis, but I am confident that what the clubs will see, they will be happy.”

V’landys and Abdo have led the charge on PNG as the federal government looks to soft diplomacy to keep China at bay in the Pacific.

“I’ve spoken to the Prime Minister about the 18th team,” V’landys said.

“That’s the level we’re at now, we’re at the highest levels.

“The government is extremely keen because of national security there is no doubt about that.

“They have the right strategy in how to strengthen the relationship with Papua New Guinea. If you are part of the sporting competition and your sport will be throughout PNG, that will strengthen the relationship significantly.

“It’s a very smart plan by the government, no two ways about it. When you consider the government spends billions on submarines, this is peanuts by comparison.

“Soft diplomacy sometimes works better than anything else.”

Vee

First Grade
8% of it is going to the NRL so they can bribe other clubs to agree to it. A further 16% is going to build a compound to protect the rich white Australians from the locals.
Where do these figures come from? Did I miss a memo?

Colk

First Grade
You cannot blame it all on war and conquest. Every civilisation has blood on its hands.

Definitely agree but Europeans profited from war and conquest more than anybody else from the Middle Ages onwards. They literally built wealth from conquered lands.

A good example is British India. The empires of India once held the most material wealth in the world but they lacked unity (because India unlike China didn’t have this conception of a unified nation) and they were easily exploited by the British who had more sophisticated weaponry (also private companies paying off soldiers didn’t help)

India as a developing country now finds it hard to retain its best and brightest when a developed country offers better pay and lifestyle. That will eventually improve but it will take generations on generations to fix.

Now I’m not saying that hard work or talent aren’t important (far from it) but what I’m saying is that it is only one aspect and there are limitations to that theory. A lot of things are just down to luck: where you’re born, what support networks you have (who you know) and just being on the good side of fortune. For example, I could have been born in a third world country or suffered some illness that seriously affected my life. That’s got nothing to do with hard work or pulling myself up from my bootstraps crap; that is just bad luck.

Vee

First Grade
Definitely agree but Europeans profited from war and conquest more than anybody else from the Middle Ages onwards. They literally built wealth from conquered lands.

A good example is British India. The empires of India once held the most material wealth in the world but they lacked unity (because India unlike China didn’t have this conception of a unified nation) and they were easily exploited by the British who had more sophisticated weaponry (also private companies paying off soldiers didn’t help)

India as a developing country now finds it hard to retain its best and brightest when a developed country offers better pay and lifestyle. That will eventually improve but it will take generations on generations to fix.

Now I’m not saying that hard work or talent aren’t important (far from it) but what I’m saying is that it is only one aspect and there are limitations to that theory. A lot of things are just down to luck: where you’re born, what support networks you have (who you know) and just being on the good side of fortune. For example, I could have been born in a third world country or suffered some illness that seriously affected my life. That’s got nothing to do with hard work or pulling myself up from my bootstraps crap; that is just bad luck.
Guns, germs and steel.

Apparently. I read the article today. They are wanting $2m more per annum over and above what they are getting know.

I’m not surprised to be fair that they wanted more from this PNG idea
Albo and V'landys are to blame for putting $600m on the table. The clubs were always going to want a slice of it.