What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

reanimate

Bench
Definitely agree but Europeans profited from war and conquest more than anybody else from the Middle Ages onwards. They literally built wealth from conquered lands.

A good example is British India. The empires of India once held the most material wealth in the world but they lacked unity (because India unlike China didn’t have this conception of a unified nation) and they were easily exploited by the British who had more sophisticated weaponry (also private companies paying off soldiers didn’t help)

India as a developing country now finds it hard to retain its best and brightest when a developed country offers better pay and lifestyle. That will eventually improve but it will take generations on generations to fix.

Now I’m not saying that hard work or talent aren’t important (far from it) but what I’m saying is that it is only one aspect and there are limitations to that theory. A lot of things are just down to luck: where you’re born, what support networks you have (who you know) and just being on the good side of fortune. For example, I could have been born in a third world country or suffered some illness that seriously affected my life. That’s got nothing to do with hard work or pulling myself up from my bootstraps crap; that is just bad luck.
Western Europeans, sure. A good chunk of South-East Europe, the Middle East and North Africa spent a lot of that time period under Ottoman rule.

Current profits approx 60 mill

pvl backing himself to make it up by growing revenues

eg I suspect qld govt paid more for magic
More revenue from higher ticket sales at nrl events like magic etc

he’s Greek they can find blood from a stone

He might have bitten off more than he can chew this time.

Not all fans will be happy about this cash grab him V'landys and the clubs.

docbrown

Coach
Why? Corporations are pouring in 60 million a year out of the goodness of their hearts?
What planet are you on?
You do realise that the $60 million figure you're quoting includes all funding to all those other Pacific nations too? The amount going to the team itself is only part of that amount.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Bringing an nrl team will give so many png people joy

their own team in the big league

the crowd atmosphere will be unlike anything at an Aussie league game
I think we underestimate how big a role sport can play in building the identity and confidence of a nation. It can put them on the map...

Don Bradman - Australia
All Blacks - New Zealand
Rugby Union 7s - Fiji
Soccer - Brazil
Manny Paquiao - Philippines
(Not a nation, but...) Maroons - QLD
Maradona - Argentina
Djokovic - Serbia

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Which is why pvl is bribing them

imo they will get that 2 million pa out of arlc profits

its not a bad thing clubs getting so much money it makes them bulletproof
Yeah, I don't see why the existing members shouldn't benefit from a fee paid by clubs that want in on membership.

Latest posts