What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

The guy was saying they had no internet access. That's bullshit and it has racist undertones. And if you agree with him, then you go f**k yourself too.

Internet use in Papua New Guinea in 2022

There were 1.66 million internet users in Papua New Guinea in January 2022.

Papua New Guinea’s internet penetration rate stood at 18.0 percent of the total population at the start of 2022.

Kepios analysis indicates that internet users in Papua New Guinea increased by 310 thousand (+23.0 percent) between 2021 and 2022.

For perspective, these user figures reveal that 7.55 million people in Papua New Guinea did not use the internet at the start of 2022, meaning that 82.0 percent of the population remained offline at the beginning of the year.

mongoose

Coach
Definitely agree but Europeans profited from war and conquest more than anybody else from the Middle Ages onwards. They literally built wealth from conquered lands.

A good example is British India. The empires of India once held the most material wealth in the world but they lacked unity (because India unlike China didn’t have this conception of a unified nation) and they were easily exploited by the British who had more sophisticated weaponry (also private companies paying off soldiers didn’t help)

India as a developing country now finds it hard to retain its best and brightest when a developed country offers better pay and lifestyle. That will eventually improve but it will take generations on generations to fix.

Now I’m not saying that hard work or talent aren’t important (far from it) but what I’m saying is that it is only one aspect and there are limitations to that theory. A lot of things are just down to luck: where you’re born, what support networks you have (who you know) and just being on the good side of fortune. For example, I could have been born in a third world country or suffered some illness that seriously affected my life. That’s got nothing to do with hard work or pulling myself up from my bootstraps crap; that is just bad luck.
India are aiming to become the new China and they will burn through all the coal in the world to make it happen (just like China are currently doing). Countries like Australia will provide it to them, while at the same time tell them "naughty, naughty!" India will tell us to f**k off and they have every right to.

Iamback

Coach
When I was over there doing consultancy work, I was volunteering with a charity group actually installing drinking wells and purification systems. So I laugh when that argument gets tossed around by people who haven't lifted a finger or stepped foot there.

The PNG team idea has been around for a long time. PNG government officials were talking about it when I was over there. That was like 4 or 5 Australian prime ministers ago. So when people pin this squarely on Albo, I also laugh. PNG has wanted this for decades. But now they've got some leverage to make it happen.

I agree that there's easier bid locations and it's a lot of hassle. Whoever said doing good things are easy though? I wouldn't stress too much about terrorism stuff though. I crossed that border into Jayapura in West Papua and that's where those issues are. It's probably a 0.001% chance of a terrorist action in Port Moresby. We've played multiple international in PM without incident.

It will a take a long time to build the pool of NRL quality players from PNG. But the same could be said about Perth. However, unlike Perth the game is everywhere. It's hard for people to fathom but you can't turn your head in PM without someone wearing an NRL or RL kit. Walk 3 streets and you'll see kids passing balls. Think of how into rugby league Queensland gets during Origin and multiply it several times. That's an average day for rugby league in PNG.

I think this Google trends data highlights it:
View attachment 89008
People in PNG search for 'NRL' on Google at 25 times the volume of Australians. There's about a million locals with internet access thanks to mobile phone increase. If the rest of the country had access, I suspect that ratio would be higher. 50 to 1 potentially.

PNG might be poor. But I'd estimate 8-9 million of them are rugby league fans. There are definitely more rugby league fans in PNG than there are in Australia. There's no real reason that out of that pool of interest that you couldn't eventually end up getting 25-50 players of NRL quality.

If you converted every person in Perth you are looking at 2m people. Realistically you are looking at 10-20%

You easily get get more from PNG. If you get enough more you may actually make some cash from it.

Test footy is where I see the side adding value. If the NRL side is made up of mainly locals and you improve the test side.

Assuming they sort out the logistical issues that is

Wb1234

Referee
If you converted every person in Perth you are looking at 2m people. Realistically you are looking at 10-20%

You easily get get more from PNG. If you get enough more you may actually make some cash from it.

Test footy is where I see the side adding value. If the NRL side is made up of mainly locals and you improve the test side.

Assuming they sort out the logistical issues that is
To the perf fans on here one Perth fan is equal to 10000 png fans

Wb1234

Referee
Love the debate about PNG being poor but being Rugby league mad should have a team...
Or Perth not being League but being rich should have a League team...

Seems nobody wants to address the NEW ZEALAND in the room lol
Nobody is saying nz shouldn’t get another team you big sook

Its just the clubs wanting more money. Means nothing really because they would be doing the same for any bid.

I just read that article and (if true) I find it quite disgusting, but not surprising, that the NRL clubs are seeking to take a cut of the money promised to the PNG bid.

Any "cut" that the clubs receive should come from a significantly boosted TV rights deal because the NRL can now offer an extra game. Not from the $600m. There should be strict clauses from the Federal Government that the $600m can only be spent on the PNG bid, and not one cent given to the ever grasping hands of NRL club CEOs.

I can't remember what recent thread it was posted in, but there was a summary of the most profitable clubs in the NRL, with the Dolphins near the top. Just about all the clubs are posting healthy profits. They can't cry poor anymore. But as always, short-term myopic thinking, "what's in it for me", rules the day.

Wb1234

Referee
I just read that article and (if true) I find it quite disgusting, but not surprising, that the NRL clubs are seeking to take a cut of the money promised to the PNG bid.

Any "cut" that the clubs receive should come from a significantly boosted TV rights deal because the NRL can now offer an extra game. Not from the $600m. There should be strict clauses from the Federal Government that the $600m can only be spent on the PNG bid, and not one cent given to the ever grasping hands of NRL club CEOs.

I can't remember what recent thread it was posted in, but there was a summary of the most profitable clubs in the NRL, with the Dolphins near the top. Just about all the clubs are posting healthy profits. They can't cry poor anymore. But as always, short-term myopic thinking, "what's in it for me", rules the day.
Clubs have the power to say no to png

the federal govt will have agreed to the 50 million to nrl clubs

If it gets png in then so be it

and all future clubs should be paying a license fee

Perth should be paying one too which will be funded by the state govt

Maximus

Coach

Because they would get that money from the tv deal with any new team. A PNG team brings additional risks and costs associated with away games that wouldn't apply to any other team. It makes sense for them to want more money to accept it.

Wb1234

Referee
However, club bosses reportedly contacted the NRL asking what they would receive in return for backing the 18th team.

NRL clubs could reportedly be paid $60 million between them, meaning each team would receive $3.5 million as a lump sum under terms being discussed by the league.

Club powerbrokers, however, are seeking an additional $2 million for five seasons form 2028, when the PNG franchise would likely enter the comp, on top of player payments.

As it stands, ARLC commission Peter V’landys has made it clear no deal has been formally agreed on between the federal government regarding the fresh expansion bid.

Last edited:
Love the debate about PNG being poor but being Rugby league mad should have a team...
Or Perth not being League but being rich should have a League team...

Seems nobody wants to address the NEW ZEALAND in the room lol
If I had my way then expansion would go like this.

18. South Island Kea
19. Brisbane Tigers
20. Wellington Orcas

I think New Zealand can support three clubs. If we want the game to reach its potential in New Zealand then we'll need to give them three clubs.

PNG is at least two or three decades away from being able to a support an NRL club. It lacks the basic infrastructure, such as roads, transport, internet and electricity for most of its citizens. Only one in six Papuans earns a wage.

final say

Juniors
If I had my way then expansion would go like this.

18. South Island Kea
19. Brisbane Tigers
20. Wellington Orcas

I think New Zealand can support three clubs. If we want the game to reach its potential in New Zealand then we'll need to give them three clubs.

PNG is at least two or three decades away from being able to a support an NRL club. It lacks the basic infrastructure, such as roads, transport, internet and electricity for most of its citizens. Only one in six Papuans earns a wage.
I can't believe that you said internet! Racist bigot !

Canard

Immortal
As it stands, ARLC commission Peter V’landys has made it clear no deal has been formally agreed on between the federal government regarding the fresh expansion bid.

“It is certainly premature. It hasn’t gone to cabinet to start with and our board hasn’t signed off on it, so there’s no agreement,” he told News Corp.

“There were discussions held during Magic Round, but each party was due to come back, again, so there’s nothing concrete at this stage.

“I was surprised as to how this speculation started, because it certainly didn’t come from the NRL, put it that way.”

Seems like some on this forum are suffering from erectile disfunction and gone off very early.

Albanese and V'landys are f**kwits for allowing it to progress this far. Every club has a vote on matters that are brought before the ARLC. They were always going to use their voting power to get a significant chunk of monkey out of this corrupt deal.

Albanese deserves to be voted out in a landslide for putting this preposterous deal on the table during a cost of living crisis.

There are hard working tax paying Australians who are forced to live in a tent due to the housing crisis. Anyone who tries to justify this cash grab by V'landys is an arsehole and an extremist who lives in a bubble.