What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

The Great Dane

First Grade
NRL powerbroker’s plans to introduce a Papua New Guinea franchise have been halted due to a $170 million request, with existing clubs asking for financial incentive to back the bid.

That is according to The Daily Telegraph, who are reporting initial plans between the NRL and the Australian government were to announce the 18th franchise in July.

They had originally brokered a $600 million deal that would bankroll the PNG franchise, whilst also serving as a way to strengthen international relations and reduce the threat China poses in the Pacific.

However, club bosses reportedly contacted the NRL asking what they would receive in return for backing the 18th team.

NRL clubs could reportedly be paid $60 million between them, meaning each team would receive $3.5 million as a lump sum under terms being discussed by the league.

Club powerbrokers, however, are seeking an additional $2 million for five seasons form 2028, when the PNG franchise would likely enter the comp, on top of player payments.

As it stands, ARLC commission Peter V’landys has made it clear no deal has been formally agreed on between the federal government regarding the fresh expansion bid.

“It is certainly premature. It hasn’t gone to cabinet to start with and our board hasn’t signed off on it, so there’s no agreement,” he told News Corp.

“There were discussions held during Magic Round, but each party was due to come back, again, so there’s nothing concrete at this stage.

“I was surprised as to how this speculation started, because it certainly didn’t come from the NRL, put it that way.”

Reports have also emerged prospective players who sign for the new franchise could be offered major financial incentives to join the 18th team.

Those include potential tax breaks, however rival club bosses are reportedly sceptical of that move.

“Some of the clubs may raise that but we were criticised heavily before that we should have given more incentives for the Dolphins and given them salary-cap exemptions,” V’landys said.

“Here it won’t cost them one cent. If they agree, we will be in a position to go to the clubs and show them what our plan is. We want to make sure there is sufficient time for consultation from our members.

“You have to give the clubs the opportunity to provide analysis, but I am confident that what the clubs will see, they will be happy.”

I'd be asking for more than that if I was them. We may as well all take our share if we're going to be forced to participate in this grift.

If I was the Raiders I'd have been demanding a stadium for my support, and encouraging other clubs to do similar. It's the AFL's Tasmania strategy. It's a win/win; if they meet our ridiculous demands we all benefit, if they don't we don't have to worry about the PNG side we never wanted in the first place and aren't forced to fast track expansion to 20 sides.

That's nice, it's got absolutely nothing to do with the situation the Raiders find themselves in now though.

God only knows where you're sourcing that statistic or if it's accurate given the goings on in that time period and the often dodgy way such numbers were measured and recorded at the time, but I don't really care to be honest.

I'm sourcing my data from a Brad Walter article on NRL.COM.

Admission criteria

All clubs had to meet a Basic Criteria based on playing facilities, administration, solvency and development.

To determine which teams survived, clubs were ranked for the 1995, 1996, 1998 and 1999 seasons on:

• Home crowds (1. Broncos, 2. Knights, 3. Eels);
  • Away crowds (1. Broncos, 2. Eels. 3. Roosters);
  • Competition points (1. Storm, 2. Broncos, 3. Bulldogs);
  • Gate receipts (1. Broncos, 2. Storm, 3. Knights);
  • Profitability (1. Bulldogs, 2. Panthers, 3. Sharks), and;
  • Sponsorship (1. Knights, 2. Broncos, 3. Cowboys).

Clubs were also required to have a minimum revenue of $8 million per season, including gate receipts of $1.25m and net sponsorship of $2.5m.

While the three Sydney clubs who had aligned with Super League – Canterbury, Penrith and Cronulla – were considered the most profitable, every non-Sydney club produced larger gate receipts than their Sydney rivals.

The final rankings were:

1 Brisbane, 2 Newcastle, 3 Melbourne, 4 Canterbury, 5 Cronulla, 6 Sydney Roosters, 7 Parramatta, 8 North Queensland, 9 Warriors, 10 Canberra, 11 Manly, 12 Penrith, 13 Balmain, 14 North Sydney 15 Western Suburbs, 16 South Sydney.

St George Illawarra were not included as they had merged at the end of the 1998 season – meaning Norths, Wests and Souths were excluded from the 2000 premiership.

You blamed Camberra's low sponsorship revenue on their stadium. The Cowboys' example from 1995-99 disproves your claim.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd be asking for more than that if I was them. We may as well all take our share if we're going to be forced to participate in this grift.

If I was the Raiders I'd have been demanding a stadium for my support, and encouraging other clubs to do similar. It's the AFL's Tasmania strategy. It's a win/win; if they meet our ridiculous demands we all benefit, if they don't we don't have to worry about the PNG side we never wanted in the first place and aren't forced to fast track expansion to 20 sides.
It’s a funny article. On one hand Vlandys says nothing is certain and on the other he’s talking it up saying clubs will be happy.

id have thought any club grant increase will be in line with the new tv deal in 2028, or are the clubs really asking for the Australian govt to give them $100mill plus?

Canard

Immortal
Despite the attempts at trying to stifle all conversation about PNG, as some sort of culture war, no-one can deny that PNG is one of the poorest nations on Earth and that having a NRL team there does nothing to help with that fact.

No-one from the pro-Government grift side seems to want to discuss the logistical issues, and worse seems to want to ignore them in favour of shouting "You're racist" in response.

This team is going to cost much more to run than an Australian based team, will struggle to recruit anything but the dregs, will raise no money in local TV, merchandise or gate receipts and worse still it's setting back expansion by decades.

For our game to be still only a 2 state sport in Australia by the 2030's shows how poorly or game is administrated.

Maximus

Coach
maybe but you asked the question of where the money would come from

now you are shifting the goal posts

as a rugby league fan first any govt money into rugby league is a good thing imo

Admitting you want to prioritise money for rugby league over money for kids in poverty is not a good thing.

Wb1234

Referee
I love this forum

originally I guessed 300 million figure as what the govt would tip into this bid

Certain people laughed and said it was no chance of happening

now the figure is actually double that they are still saying it won’t work

lol

Brian potter

Bench
I love this forum

originally I guessed 300 million figure as what the govt would tip into this bid

lol
So you were wrong.

sometimes I wish I gambled.

Steel Saints

Juniors
On the financial football side of things, the NRL could help out PNG. During the ten year government funding period, the NRL could invest in multiple assets on PNG's behalf in Australia. Maybe buy more hotels. After ths ten year duration, the NRL could hand over the assets to PNG.

Another way to help out PNG is media broadcast deals where the grant could increase the gap over the grant. Currently the total salary cap is $11,650,000, which includes motor vehicle and veteran allowances. The grant is around $17 to $18 million. By the time 2038 rolls around, hypothetically the cap might be $24-$25 million and the grant $38-$40 million.

An increase of the gap between the grant and cap maybe be useful in helping PNG become more financially sustainable.

On the lifestyle issues surrounding this new club, I like to see PNG based in Australia in the first decade and then make the permanent move back home. It allows time for PNG players to come through. And also more time for some infrastructure to be built in PNG, rather than just a compound.

Canard

Immortal
On the financial football side of things, the NRL could help out PNG. During the ten year government funding period, the NRL could invest in multiple assets on PNG's behalf in Australia. Maybe buy more hotels. After ths ten year duration, the NRL could hand over the assets to PNG.
When companies start investing in areas that are their core expertise, it can be a huge risk that can often lead to disaster.

I mean Bunnings couldn't even make Hardware Stores work in the UK, nor NAB make banks work, I would be surprised if the NRL is suddenly going to be a major player in the hotel sector (beyond the few strategic assets located adjacent teams grounds that they already have).

PNG has a revenue problem, and everyone is trying to "wish" it away.

I love this forum

lol

My concern is no amount of government funding can overcome the logistical problems that will plague this bid for decades.

Recruiting quality talent will be borderline impossible because no one will want to live in Port Moresby.

The other clubs will never agree to give a PNG club any advantages to offset their disadvantages.

Steel Saints

Juniors
When companies start investing in areas that are their core expertise, it can be a huge risk that can often lead to disaster.

I mean Bunnings couldn't even make Hardware Stores work in the UK, nor NAB make banks work, I would be surprised if the NRL is suddenly going to be a major player in the hotel sector (beyond the few strategic assets located adjacent teams grounds that they already have).

PNG has a revenue problem, and everyone is trying to "wish" it away.

I used hotels as an example, because the NRL have purchased The Gambaro in Brisbane and The Quest, located next to Shark Park. Of course, the NRL could diversify their portfolio in the future.

As a fan, I am trying to find ways on how a PNG club could work in the NRL. How they attract players to come and live in PNG will be their biggest challenge.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I'm sourcing my data from a Brad Walter article on NRL.COM.

Admission criteria
All clubs had to meet a Basic Criteria based on playing facilities, administration, solvency and development.​
To determine which teams survived, clubs were ranked for the 1995, 1996, 1998 and 1999 seasons on:​
  • Home crowds (1. Broncos, 2. Knights, 3. Eels);
  • Away crowds (1. Broncos, 2. Eels. 3. Roosters);
  • Competition points (1. Storm, 2. Broncos, 3. Bulldogs);
  • Gate receipts (1. Broncos, 2. Storm, 3. Knights);
  • Profitability (1. Bulldogs, 2. Panthers, 3. Sharks), and;
  • Sponsorship (1. Knights, 2. Broncos, 3. Cowboys).
Clubs were also required to have a minimum revenue of $8 million per season, including gate receipts of $1.25m and net sponsorship of $2.5m.​
While the three Sydney clubs who had aligned with Super League – Canterbury, Penrith and Cronulla – were considered the most profitable, every non-Sydney club produced larger gate receipts than their Sydney rivals.​
The final rankings were:​
1 Brisbane, 2 Newcastle, 3 Melbourne, 4 Canterbury, 5 Cronulla, 6 Sydney Roosters, 7 Parramatta, 8 North Queensland, 9 Warriors, 10 Canberra, 11 Manly, 12 Penrith, 13 Balmain, 14 North Sydney 15 Western Suburbs, 16 South Sydney.​
St George Illawarra were not included as they had merged at the end of the 1998 season – meaning Norths, Wests and Souths were excluded from the 2000 premiership.​

You blamed Camberra's low sponsorship revenue on their stadium. The Cowboys' example from 1995-99 disproves your claim.
You're using the janky, lets say influenced, post Super League NRL admission criteria findings. LOL.

No the "fact" that something on the other side of the country happened 30 years ago under completely different circumstances has no impact on the realities of today.

Firstly I never said it was the only impact, it's just one of roughly half a dozen, but the overall lack and dated nature of the corporate facilities, and the fact that there're no hospitality ticket options available at all, at Bruce stadium is a significant impact on the Raiders FC and sponsorship revenue. It is what it is, and you simply don't know what you're talking about if you think otherwise.

The current economic climate is a big factor at the moment as well. Canberra is a public service town with a relatively low corporate base to begin with, and when times get tough those opportunities restrict even further. Most of the larger companies here aren't the sort that need or want to advertise to punters at the footy anyway, which is another issue.

Iamback

Coach
I used hotels as an example, because the NRL have purchased The Gambaro in Brisbane and The Quest, located next to Shark Park. Of course, the NRL could diversify their portfolio in the future.

As a fan, I am trying to find ways on how a PNG club could work in the NRL. How they attract players to come and live in PNG will be their biggest challenge.

Those staff that come to work with the team, Your hotel might not be too far off the mark.
You'd think the very least a cafe close to the football office will do well.

Locals work there and that is the flow on the team brings

Wb1234

Referee

Another way to help out PNG is media broadcast deals where the grant could increase the gap over the grant. Currently the total salary cap is $11,650,000, which includes motor vehicle and veteran allowances. The grant is around $17 to $18 million. By the time 2038 rolls around, hypothetically the cap might be $24-$25 million and the grant $38-$40 million.

An increase of the gap between the grant and cap maybe be useful in helping PNG become more financially sustainable.

On the lifestyle issues surrounding this new club, I like to see PNG based in Australia in the first decade and then make the permanent move back home. It allows time for PNG players to come through. And also more time for some infrastructure to be built in PNG, rather than just a compound.
No chance

Just stop believing what internet trolls write on this forum

there’s a professional bid being put together which will have to be approved by the arlc

The same people (mostly) who are Anti png also said the dolphins would be a failure

if the alts had seen the actual bid proposal and were attacking that maybe they would have a point

they are just against it because

Latest posts