What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Wb1234

Referee
That’s true as well. It’s likely to happen now whether we agree with it or not. I just hope it works.
PNG with 600 milion behind it has way more chance of working than Perth does

if this expansion forum was around in 94 the chat would’ve been the same about Auckland north qld and Perth.

if this expansion forum was around in 94 the chat would’ve been the same about Auckland north qld and Perth.
Those three teams needed financial assistance from News Ltd to survive. This has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions. You think they were rich and signed with News Ltd out of greed.

The 1995 expansion template was a disaster and has set the game back several decades. It's bizarre that people want us to go down that route 30 years later.

Wb1234

Referee
Those three teams needed financial assistance from News Ltd to survive. This has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions. You think they were rich and signed with News Ltd out of greed.

The 1995 expansion template was a disaster and has set the game back several decades. It's bizarre that people want us to go down that route 30 years later.
The template which the arlc is basically copying now ? Perth Brisbane two ?

it’s obvious what set the game back 20 years

The template which the arlc is basically copying now ? Perth Brisbane two ?

it’s obvious what set the game back 20 years
I've shown you the official account of the Cowboys' defection to Super League.

If the ARL didn't burden the expansion teams with having to pay their opponents' flight and accommodation expenses then things might have worked out a bit better. They would have been foolish to turn down News Ltd's assistance after the ARL sent them broke and refused to offer any aid.

Do I need to remind you that Arthurson and Quayle provided the Knights with financial assistance in 1988, but refused to do so for the interstate expansion clubs?

Wb1234

Referee
I've shown you the official account of the Cowboys' defection to Super League.

If the ARL didn't burden the expansion teams with having to pay their opponents' flight and accommodation expenses then things might have worked out a bit better. They would have been foolish to turn down News Ltd's assistance after the ARL sent them broke and refused to offer any aid.

Do I need to remind you that Arthurson and Quayle provided the Knights with financial assistance in 1988, but refused to do so for the interstate expansion clubs?
They

could’ve

or should’ve ???

said no

the arl has 20 teams back in 1995

it will take close to 40 years to get back to that number again

almost half a century of missed opportunity

and fyi the cowboys warriors turned out fine

Perth would’ve too

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I thought I'd post this here as it was a bit of an eye opener for me...

My girlfriend works as a marketing manager for a major car manufacturer and has just returned from a week in Port Moresby on a business trip.

Feedback was that there was quite a large expat population in the city and in certain areas of the city are quite wealthy and well secured / safe. I was worried about her safety there but she said she felt safe in the area she stayed and worked in. She did say however that there were security guards assigned to them "just in case" during their stay.

She said the harbour area is quite well developed and has quite a few resorts under construction and other improvements currently happening to make it an attractive waterfront area to try and attract more tourists.

An interesting anecdote that could suggest its not as bad as we imagine (in the parts the NRL players would be living) with potential for further improvements.

They

could’ve

or should’ve ???

said no

the arl has 20 teams back in 1995

it will take close to 40 years to get back to that number again

almost half a century of missed opportunity

and fyi the cowboys warriors turned out fine

Perth would’ve too
Warriors went bust in 1999.

Cowboys were bailed out by News Ltd in the 90s and early 00s. It wasn't until the mid-2000s that the Cowboys became financially stable.

I'd the clubs said no then they wouldn't have been admitted into the ARL.

What's your position on Arthurson and Quayle providing special privileges to the Knights in 1988 while ripping off the Cowboys, Crushers, Warriors and Reds in 1995?

Those two bastards were biased and corrupt. There's a reason they were booed whenever they set foot in front of a Lang Park crowd in the 80s and 90s. Their corruption and bias led to Super League.

Wb1234

Referee
Warriors went bust in 1999.

Cowboys were bailed out by News Ltd in the 90s and early 00s. It wasn't until the mid-2000s that the Cowboys became financially stable.

I'd the clubs said no then they wouldn't have been admitted into the ARL.

What's your position on Arthurson and Quayle providing special privileges to the Knights in 1988 while ripping off the Cowboys, Crushers, Warriors and Reds in 1995?

Those two bastards were biased and corrupt. There's a reason they were booed whenever they set foot in front of a Lang Park crowd in the 80s and 90s. Their corruption and bias led to Super League.
John robit was cheered for the super league grand final at qe2 for expanding rugby league to china ?

docbrown

Coach

My girlfriend works as a marketing manager for a major car manufacturer and has just returned from a week in Port Moresby on a business trip.

Feedback was that there was quite a large expat population in the city and in certain areas of the city are quite wealthy and well secured / safe. I was worried about her safety there but she said she felt safe in the area she stayed and worked in. She did say however that there were security guards assigned to them "just in case" during their stay.

She said the harbour area is quite well developed and has quite a few resorts under construction and other improvements currently happening to make it an attractive waterfront area to try and attract more tourists.

An interesting anecdote that could suggest its not as bad as we imagine (in the parts the NRL players would be living) with potential for further improvements.
The Harbour/Beach is where all the government workers, civil servants and foreigners live. You could transport it to North Queensland and it wouldn't look out of place. That's not to mean there aren't dangerous places. It's about common sense precautions, just like you do when you travel to any non-developed country. Is it as rich a place as Perth or Christchurch? No way. But I'd argue there's a local middle class/foreigner population that's as big as the equivalent population of Cairns in a similar kind of geographic area. But you can't just get into a car and drive wherever you want without planning ahead, and that's off putting for people who aren't used to it. It'd be a similar experience to an Australian joining the old South African or current Fijian super rugby teams. You kind of have to treat it like the FIFO miners. Only a handful of people would live in the remote parts of Western Australia. But if the money is right, they'll work there.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Where’s the players coming from for a png team? How will they sign a competiveteam?

Perth Red

Post Whore

How is it the same template? The only issue in 95 was burdening some teams with travel and the SL war. Neither of which are relevant now.

Perth Red

Post Whore

For a week on business maybe, to live there 9 months with your family? Hmmmm.
I went for two weeks work in Pakistan. Had an armed driver with me at all times. Was a great experience but I can tell you I wouldnt have wanted to be there any longer than I was.

How is it the same template? The only issue in 95 was burdening some teams with travel and the SL war. Neither of which are relevant now.
Where is the game going to find 90 players to cover three teams in the span of 4 years?

For a week on business maybe, to live there 9 months with your family? Hmmmm.
I went for two weeks work in Pakistan. Had an armed driver with me at all times. Was a great experience but I can tell you I wouldnt have wanted to be there any longer than I was.
The armed driver probably didn't want to be with you any longer than he was.

MugaB

Coach
Where’s the players coming from for a png team? How will they sign a competiveteam?
That's exactly what I said about a stand alone Perth side, they (Png have the hunters as depth, and the whole digicel cup to choose from locally, Perth have a very low barr to pull from, now that the bears are involved, I'm definitely hoping for Perth to do well, (not just coz it the bears, but coz they have some reserve grade links) as I know they have a jump start in a pathway system so they are not starting from scratch and relying on park footy- bottom of the SG ball ladder level players

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's exactly what I said about a stand alone Perth side, they (Png have the hunters as depth, and the whole digicel cup to choose from locally, Perth have a very low barr to pull from, now that the bears are involved, I'm definitely hoping for Perth to do well, (not just coz it the bears, but coz they have some reserve grade links) as I know they have a jump start in a pathway system so they are not starting from scratch and relying on park footy- bottom of the SG ball ladder level players
You think the challenge of signing young or established Australian, English or kiwi players to move to perth is going to be the same as signing them To move to port Moresby? Cuckoo cuckoo

how many years before hunters players make up the bulk of a nrl png team? Or should I say how many decades?

so i come back to the question how will png sign a first grade squad to be even closely competitive.

Last edited: