What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Police harassed me: El Masri

ucantseeme

Juniors
Strange that this "incident" happens a couple weeks after Hazem releases a book. Can anyone thing of a good way to get some publicity for the book by getting the spotlight off Joey and on Hazem?

It's also strange how Mudine talks about a return to the NRL just before tickets go on sale for his next fight against another taxi driver from Thailand.

"excuse me sir..may i see your ID please?"
"sure..there you go officer..no problem"
"have a good evening mr el masri"
"thanks"

wait..you dont recognise me?..you dont recognise me??..no should i..i play league.for the bulldogs..no sir i do not recognise you..have a good evening

Perhaps it is El masri who has the problem with police..maybe ..maybe not..either way its a molehill that got built up into a mountain...i can imagine his manager being a right idiot about it tho.

[furrycat] said:
and FTR, Hazem is silly for getting so huffy about this. All he had to do was show ID and that would be the end of it. The police acted appropriately and within their powers.

Agree...the cops are just doing their job and if El-Masri feels he can get precious about it then he needs to understand that there are consequences...just because he plays league does not make him above the law...:roll:

gunnamatta bay

Referee
If they were minding their own business in a public place then El Masri is right. In those circumstances the police cannot demand to see their id. Simple as that.

By the way I assume this area is frequented by many middle eastern men which makes the police actions all the more ridiculous if they had nothing else to indicate these men were involved in a crime.

My theory is a couple of rookies stumbled into this situation feeling cocksure in their blue suits only to find they were dealing with people who know their rights. Young police in particular find this disconcerting and call for the assistance of their supervisor who usually smooths the waters and everyone goes their separate ways.

As I said if a cop asks for you name and address you are no obligation to supply it. If he insists and prevents your free passage ask him, " Am I under arrest?"

We still live in a free and democratic society.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
kia ora storm said:
Agree...the cops are just doing their job and if El-Masri feels he can get precious about it then he needs to understand that there are consequences...just because he plays league does not make him above the law...:roll:

What is it you don't understand about living in a country where you have rights? Good on them for sticking up for themselves and not bowing to a couple of over officious police.

Just what 'job' were the cops performing? What motivated them to approach these men and demand their id?

innsaneink

Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
What is it you don't understand about living in a country where you have rights? Good on them for sticking up for themselves and not bowing to a couple of over officious police.

Just what 'job' were the cops performing? What motivated them to approach these men and demand their id?

Cops arent usually in the habit of detailing their actions to everyone they deal with, I think that makes catching the smart baddies just that bit harder.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
innsaneink said:
Cops arent usually in the habit of detailing their actions to everyone they deal with, I think that makes catching the smart baddies just that bit harder.

Inky are we upping the ante here? Are you suggesting these men are the subject of some protracted investigation where confidentiality is all important?

The simple fact is we do not live in Nazi Germany. We have rights. We do not have to produce id to cops when we have done nothing to warrant it.

IMO these police were out of their depth and panicked. Hence the backup.

innsaneink

Referee
gunnamatta bay said:
Inky are we upping the ante here? Are you suggesting these men are the subject of some protracted investigation where confidentiality is all important?

The simple fact is we do not live in Nazi Germany. We have rights. We do not have to produce id to cops when we have done nothing to warrant it.

IMO these police were out of their depth and panicked. Hence the backup.

Just providing a possible explanation to your question.

Just what 'job' were the cops performing?

I mean...if youve done nothing wrong, whats the problem?

Do you have a theory on the racial bit too?

brooksy19

Bench
Since when did you need an ID to go to a Cafe though?

I can understand why he's upset. I wouldn't of shown my ID either.

brooksy19

Bench
I hate those Civil Libertarian people, but for those saying "if he's done nothing wrong, hes got nothing to hide" what a load of crap, I wonder if others at the cafe were asked for ID ?

Rusty

Juniors
IMO Hazem should just accept that the Police are an authority and he is not exempt from the law. Police are trying to do their job and although he is a footballer he needs to cooperate just like every other person instead of whining that "it was racially motivated". Calling for backup though was a bit over the top!

innsaneink

Referee
brooksy19 said:
I hate those Civil Libertarian people, but for those saying "if he's done nothing wrong, hes got nothing to hide" what a load of crap, I wonder if others at the cafe were asked for ID ?

I think you're confused, youre are on the civil libertarians side. LOL

Latest posts