What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

perverse

Referee
Not sure about the points winner but Tedesco was close to best for Blues and Ponga was great. If picking an Aussie side now one would be hard done by not to be the No1
Incumbency is definitely a thing if you're still playing good footy. Tedesco will want to hope he doesn't cop an injury at the wrong time, though.

Yosh

Coach
Let's all appreciate the fact he is uninjured. The lad plays Origin like he Gordon Tallis or Webcke. He threw himself at Mitchell and even at the final bell threw himself at the ball to slide it out..

I'm just happy any game Ponga comes off uninjured!

Looking at the halves in the game these days, there is no real play makers anymore. That touch of genius play making the lads had back with Joey, Langer, Lockyer and the sort. Ponga was the best play maker out there by a long shot.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Quite first half but lit it up in the second.
Klemmer was a beast as well.
Not sure what Fitler was doing with his interchanges though.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I've got little doubt he's the player of his generation at this point.
was there ever any doubt ? Been watching footy for 40 years. Pongs is one of, if not the most gifted young athlete I've ever seen. Injury aside will finish a great of the game. I have "little doubt" an immortal....the kid is the real deal

Knight Vision

First Grade
Looking at the halves in the game these days, there is no real play makers anymore. That touch of genius play making the lads had back with Joey, Langer, Lockyer and the sort. Ponga was the best play maker out there by a long shot.
no Ponga and QLD do not win that game. It was the weirdest feeling to be a NSW supporter and willing KP to have a great game. Ponga has skills that Tedesco could only dream of- a passing game for 1. Those passes were sublime.

Tedesco should savour every moment of his time in the Australian side- it will be short and sweet. My guess is 2 years.

Knight Vision

First Grade
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...ain-maroons-and-brush-the-all-blacks/?cs=2503
"I think he can be a future captain of Queensland," Slater said. "He's only 21 years old, but the way he understands the game, the presence that he already has in the group, I can see him captaining for a long time."

Then this, from arguably the best fullback of all-time: "It's easy working with someone like Kalyn - because he's already there. He's not uncomfortable being the superstar."

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
was there ever any doubt ? Been watching footy for 40 years. Pongs is one of, if not the most gifted young athlete I've ever seen. Injury aside will finish a great of the game. I have "little doubt" an immortal....the kid is the real deal
It's always hard to say how someone is going to kick on, and I tend to have a lot of trepidation given the past 15 years. It's hard to fathom good things happening to our club, I'm conditioned otherwise lol. I still leave room in my mind for a horror injury or some such... but I can only see this kid going all the way now.

Absolutely he's the real deal. I can only name 2 or 3 players I've ever seen have an impact like he has so early. One is an immortal.

TheFlash

Juniors
It's always hard to say how someone is going to kick on, and I tend to have a lot of trepidation given the past 15 years. It's hard to fathom good things happening to our club, I'm conditioned otherwise lol. I still leave room in my mind for a horror injury or some such... but I can only see this kid going all the way now.

Absolutely he's the real deal. I can only name 2 or 3 players I've ever seen have an impact like he has so early. One is an immortal.
Have to agree Ponga will be become one of the greats, killing it now imagine in a year or so, then 5 years later, cant wait to see he's career unfold...

Burns

First Grade
Rothfield saying again in the Sunday Telegraph that the Knights might lose Ponga. Says that management and Ponga haven’t spoken in three weeks, and that’s his salary of $600,000 a year is less than the other ‘superstars’.

They are going to keep pushing this story aren’t they?

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Rothfield saying again in the Sunday Telegraph that the Knights might lose Ponga. Says that management and Ponga haven’t spoken in three weeks, and that’s his salary of $600,000 a year is less than the other ‘superstars’.

That’s because Andre is handling the contract negotiations.

Typical News Ltd agenda against us.

PhilGould

Bench
Brian Canavan, our Director of Football, said literally last week that talks are well down the track and Ponga has given no indication he wants to look elsewhere.

Zoidberg

First Grade

Of course he’s on less than other “superstars” at the moment, when we signed him he had played about 10 first grade games. Obviously his next contract will be a big step up.

Burwood

Bench
Wasn’t his contract full of bonuses for playing rep footy and helping Newcastle reach the finals?

And good ol’ News Corp making digs at the club two years ago for giving too much money to an unproven player, and now the exact same contract is undervalued and will result in Ponga being snapped up by another club.

Spot On

Coach
I know Rothfield has been 'unreliable' in the past and hides behind the "my sources tell me" line (sources are wrong most of the time but he keeps using them) but some of the dribble he has come up with in regards to players on the FOX sport shows is down right laughable. However, they keep him on those shows and feed the beast so this sort of speculation will not go away.

Add to that the clip of Ponga talking about the All Blacks which spurs articles such as Neil Breen's in the SMH today.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ru...-all-blacks-are-watching-20190607-p51vkv.html