What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Yosh

Coach
Sh*t... Is it confirmed that the Dolphins representatives were at the game tonight? They probably don't want him now...

Woosh

Head Moderator
On his current form he’s no chance of making QLD this year.
But he needs to work with Slater asap.
Like his BFF he’s not going to reach his potential under O’Brien.

Jono078

Referee
Mate he's had a dream run of working with top level talent.. There's footage of him with Slater just not looking interested..

Slater, Johns, Tedesco, Gidley.. He's had time with Thurston. He was a kid that was talked up far too much and has really relied on that. You could argue his game has gone backwards since his first couple of years with us.

He just doesn't have that championship do-anything-to-win mentality in him.

He'd be thinking about which logo he can get tattooed on him next. Maybe it'll be a milkshake tattoo..

Knight Tales

Juniors
They’ll pick him. I think his issues are he simply sees this as a game and not his job.

Old dog

Juniors
Have been relatively quiet re Ponga but tonight was not only HIS worst game but he stuffed up, got in the way and seemed to interfere with the play. No happy, if he goes then it’s goodbye, start looking for a f/b, this one is overpaid and not performing.
And aside from that he will likely miss next game, injury???

Has anyone ever seen a fullback stand a metre behind the hooker at the play the ball as much as Ponga does? I was confusing him for Randall’s shadow several times each set.
That's what I was saying in the main game thread. The only reason he stands back there or quickly gets in to dummy half is so he doesn't have to get involved. It's the type of crap Darius Boyd used to do.

Spot On

Coach
The coach could grow a set and give him an arse kicking.

But he never did it with Pearce so it won’t happen with Ponga.

He’ll have a dig for QLD and be lauded as a superstar. As is the way with a few of those blokes.

Apey

Staff member
Haha oh please, this is not an O'Brien issue. This is a 100% Ponga issue. He's always been a bit lacklustre in the desire department but tonight he looked like he cared less than Darius Boyd out there.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I want to know who acted as legal counsel on the club’s behalf during contract negotiations.

Gun crew could get me a raise, and I’m self-employed.

Silent Knight

First Grade
The fact the Dolphins officials were at the Sharks game tonight tells me all I need to know.

We have a Newcastle captain who doesn’t believe in Newcastle. He doesn’t believe in his teammates and he doesn’t believe in his club.

I’ll think back to the days when we had Paul Harragon, Andrew Johns and Kurt Gidley as our captains. Blokes who hated losing, loved the fans and threw their bodies into the fray every week. Blokes who felt pain after every loss.

Tyson Frizell should be our captain.

I also want to say I smell the reek of Wayne Bennett in this. If Kalyn goes to the Dolphins I suspect there will be some gloating involved from him immediately afterwards.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Dylan Edwards wouid look great in a Knights jumper. His efforts every week are 100%.

Dylan Edwards was a Penrith junior. He would have dreamed of playing for the Panthers as a kid and now he would consider it a honour and a privilege to play for his mighty club. I very much doubt he would be as passionate playing for any other club.

No we can’t import a player with that much passion and loyalty. We need to manufacture one ourselves. We need to surround him with players who are proud to play for Newcastle who don’t want to let their teammates down.

That whole Penrith team is stacked with loyal and committed juniors.

Reflector

Juniors
The fact the Dolphins officials were at the Sharks game tonight tells me all I need to know.

We have a Newcastle captain who doesn’t believe in Newcastle. He doesn’t believe in his teammates and he doesn’t believe in his club.

I’ll think back to the days when we had Paul Harragon, Andrew Johns and Kurt Gidley as our captains. Blokes who hated losing, loved the fans and threw their bodies into the fray every week. Blokes who felt pain after every loss.

Tyson Frizell should be our captain.

I also want to say I smell the reek of Wayne Bennett in this. If Kalyn goes to the Dolphins I suspect there will be some gloating involved from him immediately afterwards.
Contrast this with Gagai's form since returning from his stint with Souths. Underlining what a difference attitude makes and when you're playing with a purpose.

macavity

Referee
If he announces mid season he is taking his talents to the putrid mud flats of Redcliffe… does he get booed?

Knight76

Juniors
Dylan Edwards, Fairly ordinary as far as fullbacks go, but geez he puts in, runs the ball back hard on kick returns and is there to back up when a chance is on. Dufty is another.

I'd settle for a player doing that for us, instead of what we get with Ponga.

One point tonight, he caught the ball 10m from our line, looked to pass and nobody there, so he crabs across field and bit and throws a 20m pass in windy conditions just so he doesn't have to run the ball back. Now I am sure that is coaching as it is automatic when he catches the ball. And you see when they know Ponga will catch it you get a back running to get in to place ready to take Ponga's pass and return the ball.

But, if that is the extent we are coaching around this "Ferrari" then we need a change. No player is bigger than the team's performance.

Latest posts