What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Silent Knight

First Grade
If he announces mid season he is taking his talents to the putrid mud flats of Redcliffe… does he get booed?

I’m going to find it hard to look him in the eye if the Queensland members event is on this year. I might make a beeline for Gags, Friz and Leo.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Haha oh please, this is not an O'Brien issue. This is a 100% Ponga issue. He's always been a bit lacklustre in the desire department but tonight he looked like he cared less than Darius Boyd out there.

Yes and no.
Ponga looks lost out there, doesn’t know what his role is.
The game plan seems to involve him touching the ball less this season?
You’re basically paying him 1 million to play first receiver dumping it off to a forward.
Can you imagine game plans involving Turbo, Teddy, Paps etc touching the ball less?
Ponga was rubbish tonight but I don’t think the game plan is doing him any favours as well.

Reflector

Juniors
Yep, I reckon he's out the door. Wouldnt want to get injured and ruin negotiations now would he.

He's a pea heart IMO. All the talent in the world and no passion or heart, no win at all costs, take no prisoners attitude of champion.
The most infuriating thing for Knights fans would be if he heads to Redcliffe and proceeds to put in performances on the level of Teddy/ Slater or even Paps on a near weekly basis, just highlighting the fact he was taking the piss at Newcastle.

Even before tonight's spineless, cowardly performance I had been wondering where his big step has gone. Like I seriously feel as though it's been 2 years now since we've seen it. For all his weaknesses, now he isn't even leaning into the strengths he actually has. Does he not realise he can do things that other players can't or is it just that he doesn't care?

I sadly feel that I know the answer.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Yes and no.
You’re basically paying him 1 million to play first receiver dumping it off to a forward.
Can you imagine game plans involving Turbo, Teddy, Paps etc touching the ball less?
Ponga was rubbish tonight but I don’t think the game plan is doing him any favours as well.
anyone see the interview with AOB before the game ? He basically said 1 out percentage footy on a day like today, play it safe, and boy did we play like it.

AOB lives in 2016

Jono078

Referee
anyone see the interview with AOB before the game ? He basically said 1 out percentage footy on a day like today, play it safe, and boy did we play like it.

AOB lives in 2016
Please don't tell me that's true? I see too much of a negative mentality from AOB when I thought he would be the tough task masker always seeking the best.

Woosh

Head Moderator
Well you only need to see how Clifford kicked tonight.
Should’ve been causing havoc with his bombs but instead played it safe.

Old dog

Bench
Can’t believe some of the opinions on here re dolphins watching the game and Ponga playing bad.
Ponga was bad, by his best standard it was really bad but surely he didnt play bad in front of dolphin scouts when possibly looking to sign for mega bucks, let’s get real.
Ponga is not fit, either mentally or physically, possibly both.
We played better without him in previous weeks, he seems to control or disjoint what’s happening, our best attack recently has been from Clune and Clifford when Ponga was absent.
The captaincy is effecting his play, standing next/behind Randall at play the ball means he isn’t going to turn up in attack for that play and is out of play once Randall passes it back.
Something has to be done, changes made if success is to come. If Ponga goes to dolphins we will survive and if recruitment is smart we will buy both a f/b and a 2nd row for about 500k each, the cost of Ponga, and be stronger for it.
We don’t need megastars just very good team footballers

Yosh

Coach
Clifford's kick summed up our attitude. We didn't turn up to win. Why is Clifford instructed to play it safe? His best weapon is his huge kick but today's game plan was basically to turn his nuke into a pistol.

The best players back themselves to make the big plays when it counts. Clifford should have been instructed to kick it out above the stadium every time, even if it meant kick it dead or out.

Very disappointed with Ponga and AOB's mentality heading into the game.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Please don't tell me that's true? I see too much of a negative mentality from AOB when I thought he would be the tough task masker always seeking the best.
sadly yes , FOX interview pre-game.

His conservative style is evident in a lot of our decisions and game plan.

It really is 2016 style footy.

Knight76

Juniors
Yes and no.

AOB said before the game that the more time KP touches the ball usually something good happens from it.

I doubt it's OB's game plan for Ponga to touch the ball less.

No, thats on Ponga.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Yes and no.

No need to analyse it so deeply
He knows what his role is
He's just a cat

Silent Knight

First Grade
No need to analyse it so deeply
He knows what his role is
He's just a cat

Analyze this…
eyJpZCI6ImE0OTFiNzQyNDhjOTQ0OGNjODBkNDk2OTAwYWJlOTAyIiwic3RvcmFnZSI6InB1YmxpY19zdG9yZSJ9

Woosh

Head Moderator
O’Brien presser was a bit of a train wreck.
He mentioned a couple times he probably over thought the conditions.
Gees why changed what worked for the team in the first 3 rounds?
He’s going to be another Seibold and over analysis everything.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
O’Brien presser was a bit of a train wreck.
He mentioned a couple times he probably over thought the conditions.
Gees why changed what worked for the team in the first 3 rounds?
He’s going to be another Seibold and over analysis everything.
the sign of a man who is uncertain, this leans into a lack of confidence, and that's exactly what the team looked like - they were beaten before they took the field.

Has anyone ever seen a fullback stand a metre behind the hooker at the play the ball as much as Ponga does? I was confusing him for Randall’s shadow several times each set.
No. He tries to sight the game from there but deadset useless place to hang out.

slotmachine

First Grade
If he announces mid season he is taking his talents to the putrid mud flats of Redcliffe… does he get booed?

Yes.

It's pretty embarrassing how the club has bent over, touched their toes and spread their cheeks for the pongas, and he dishes that garbage up and is negotiating with the dolphins anyway.

He shouldn't be captain next week.

Spot On

Coach
That would require a coach with balls and leadership Slots.

It is also the exact message the clubs needs to send.

Why bend over to please a bloke who won't run the ball or attempt to tackle?

Out of curiosity, did anyone in the media question why Ponga was unable to run or attempt to tackle anyone during the game?

Latest posts