What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Seriously late to be making a decision if you were actually keen on staying. If he was staying a cursory telephone call with the Dolphins to ensure some due diligence in the process would surely be enough.

I read a while ago that Ponga has a girlfriend from up that way, hooked up last year when the Knights were based in QLD. Could have something to do with it.

Ponga has been on a pay level above his ability and on potential, sadly that investment doesnt look like being returned. The reality is Bennett may very well not be around by the time the Dolphins kick off, at that age nothing is certain.

knightsarmy

Juniors
NRL360 said the other week that the problem with ponga is that he never rushes in on contract talks .. leave till the last minute .This hinders us if he goes as potential players det snapped up

Old dog

Bench
The Tele item was more shock due to circumstances those being he had a shocker on Friday, carrying an injury that might put him out next game or longer, returns to Sydney to have lunch about his future despite an offer of over $1m, no recovery time, no dealing with his injury, no thoughts for his club, team, fans just SHOW ME THE MONEY

Spot On

Coach
Question on the medical and coaching staff if Ponga was carrying such a bad injury into the game Old Dog.

drizzy drake

Juniors
Should’ve never been made captain, zero leadership. Really hope he leaves even if it means more Tex hoy yuck

Meeting Bennett after the awful effort on Friday has tipped me into the "f**k off then mate" camp regarding Ponga. I've given him the benefit of the doubt in the past based on his talent and the times he's won us games singlehandedly (1 while literally shitting his pants pre game) but enough is enough and we need to move on. Bloody shame cause he's an absolute freak but in the end just isn't a committed footballer

Johns Magic

Referee
I don’t necessarily think he’s gone just based on a lunch. I also think it’s fair enough to take a meeting from a bloke trying to throw $1m+ at you.

If he does go, we’ll move on.

We have Bailey Hodgson on the books for next year who will be 20 and was very highly rated in the UK. Without setting the world on fire, he looked like a composed fullback in the limited time I got to watch him in NSW Cup last year. His pre-season this year looked good. He has been injured too much to date but maybe Ponga leaving would be a blessing in disguise if Hodgson steps up.

In theory that leaves $1.2mn to spend on Pryce and Pearce-Paul who if it’s possible to get them over would fill the right holes for us nicely. Or whoever else pops up.

Johns Magic

Referee
Also there are no other good fullbacks on the market. So I don’t think we’ll be throwing spare cash at another star fullback to fill the void.

Jono078

Referee
I don’t necessarily think he’s gone just based on a lunch. I also think it’s fair enough to take a meeting from a bloke trying to throw $1m+ at you.
When you throw extra context in, I disagree.

He is the captain here and has been offered 1.2m. How do you think the rest of the team and staff view him now? After his shit performance as well. I'd be pissed if I found out someone I'm meant to believe is in it whole heartedly did something like this. There were other ways he could go about it.

Johns Magic

Referee
When you throw extra context in, I disagree.

He is the captain here and has been offered 1.2m. How do you think the rest of the team and staff view him now? After his shit performance as well. I'd be pissed if I found out someone I'm meant to believe is in it whole heartedly did something like this. There were other ways he could go about it.

I don’t think shit performance the night before can be used as context. But yes I agree actually. A Zoom call would have been the play.

Jono078

Referee
I don’t think shit performance the night before can be used as context. But yes I agree actually. A Zoom call would have been the play.
It's not a good look. You'd be questioning whether he phoned in the game or his mind was elsewhere (with the Dolphins meeting). That's what I mean by context around his performance.

Anyway, debating the little things now which won't change anything. Wait and see for us with what he does.

But I think I prefer if he left and we hedged our bets on Hodgson, Pryce and Pearce-Paul - it honestly sounds like best case scenario for us.

Burwood

Bench
So after all this time, the media still don't know what the player option is for Ponga in 2023/24? During the offseason, it was being widely reported that the 2 year contract extension could only be activated if Ponga got a premiership (which made zero sense).

Pretty much, it has always just been a regular player option for Ponga to extend if he wished? No other conditions applied?

macavity

Referee
I think we just need to take a minute to acknowledge that other players don’t view these things like us fans do. They won’t be filthy that he met with an opposing coach after the game.

The last player to bleed red and blue was Kurt Gidley… They are all very much in the “it’s a business” camp now.

if he signs with the dolphins the other players and indeed the club won’t do Jack. The players because they are all “mates” before any loyalty to clubs, and the club because if they are perceived to treat him like crap it makes it harder to sign other players.

he might get booed though.