What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

aqua_duck

Coach
What is with the media and taking aim at higher ups for going on a holiday….im by no means a scomo supporter….but I couldn’t care less if he goes on holidays during a bush fire…or tigers ceo goes on holidays when they have lost a couple of games
its ridiculous, its like these journos live in the stone ages where phones, email and zoom does not exist

Sir Galahad

Juniors
What is with the media and taking aim at higher ups for going on a holiday….im by no means a scomo supporter….but I couldn’t care less if he goes on holidays during a bush fire…or tigers ceo goes on holidays when they have lost a couple of games
that there is the MO of the Murdoch press, like him or not Murdoch pioneered the successful outrage media model.

Rather than outlay on quality investigative journalism, the less expensive opinion pieces are the order of the day, if there's no story, make one. Whatever garners the clicks and keeps those advertizing dollars rolling in.

Murdoch morons prefer the outrage to any critical thinking. It's far easier to be told what to think than think for yourself.

Murdoch is a cancer on Australian society.

PhilGould

Bench

Dad desperate to salvage Ponga’s $3.3m Knights deal

The father of star fullback Kalyn Ponga has met Newcastle management to resolve increasing tension in a last-ditch bid to have a withdrawn $3.3m deal for his son reinstated.

Aware he had unsettled the Knights, Andre Ponga met with club officials over the past 48 hours to heal agitation between the two parties and attempt to have his son’s three-year extension rekindled.

A Sydney radio broadcaster even suggested Andre had “apologised”.

It appears Andre’s contrition has worked with well-placed sources indicating Kalyn’s deal for 2025, 2026 and 2027 could now be revived.

Newcastle also felt the need to firmly tell Andre that it was management who ran the club — not him. With Andre promising to pull back at the club, Newcastle now believe the deal can be salvaged.

There is even a suggestion the messy contract drama could be resolved soon with Ponga to remain a Knight although several senior officials will still need to be convinced.

Knights recruitment manager Clint Zammit was spotted by a Telegraph reader flying into Newcastle on Monday to talk with club officials about the Ponga drama.

There are concerns within the Knights organisation about the influence Andre has at Newcastle.

Ponga agreed to the new contract a fortnight ago but Andre – not Newcastle — wanted authority over when to publicly announce the deal. And the club was also concerned at Andre’s intrusion into the club’s NRLW side.

Former NRL player and commentator Jimmy Smith also secured important details on the drama, telling SEN Radio: “The dissatisfaction with the influence that Kalyn’s father, Andre, has at Newcastle … it got to the point where the deal was pulled. It took some resurrection on behalf of Andre.

“From what I understand, Andre spent (Monday) time apologising to key figures within the club. He was involved in the women’s side and then there was speculation around him wanting to manage some of the players, which is a clear conflict of interest.

“The final straw was that they wanted to make the announcement on the Kalyn deal at a time when Andre felt it was appropriate as opposed to the Newcastle Knights.

“The deal gets pulled, it’s back on the table because of Andre’s actions on Monday. We will watch with interest, the deal to be announced very shortly. But it’s a case of the Knights pulling their foot down and saying: ‘Hey, we are in control of this club — not you (Andre)’.”

Another source close to the club said “The story was 100 per cent spot on. The offer was pulled. People are saying it’s not true but it was f...ing true.”

Some officials in rugby league also question why Andre is acting for Kalyn when he’s not an accredited NRL player agent. Andre is however, under NRL rules, permitted to act as an agent for his son given he is a family member.

The Dolphins’ interest in Ponga remains genuine but seems to be waning.

It appears the new NRL club is more focused on Melbourne’s Cameron Munster than Ponga. Young Penrith fullback Sunia Turuva has also been linked to the Dolphins.

Ponga has an option his way for the next two years in his existing Newcastle contract. The three-year extension means the overall deal would span five seasons.

Newcastle CEO Phil Gardner will return from a Hawaiian holiday within the week to clean up the Ponga mess. Gardner has been telling media representatives he will not comment on player contract movement.

“Unfortunately, caught in the middle of all this is Kalyn, who just wants to play some footy. And based on what we saw on Sunday (against St George Illawarra), when he is able to do that and concentrate on his footy, he’s exceptional,” Smith said.

Burwood

Bench
So according to NRL360 last night, Gardner is the only official who was handling the contract negotiation and everyone else at the club had zero involvement. But now it will go ahead after several senior officials are convinced, even though they would have had no input in pulling the contract?

And this is happening although Gardner is presumably still in Hawaii, even though that was apparently gross negligence to the guys on 360 last night because he couldn’t possibly do two things at once?

Sir Galahad

Juniors
how would they know an apology took place or what was said to who and when? Phill Gardner called them ? maybe Bedsy ? or 1 of them told a friend who told the journo ? ffs

These wakers just make up whatever crap they want.

Apey

Staff member
I'm sure it's a case of where there's smoke, there's fire, but I'm also sure the Daily Telegraph literally just make things up to create drama so yeah. I doubt anyone besides Ponga's dad and the clubs higher ups know what's going on.

Burwood

Bench
What I want to know is, if the story is true, what exactly was Andre waiting for to announce it? It makes no sense to put it off for weeks when there has been so much speculation around that is obviously distracting Kalyn and the team and not helping recruitment.

Jono078

Referee
What I want to know is, if the story is true, what exactly was Andre waiting for to announce it? It makes no sense to put it off for weeks when there has been so much speculation around that is obviously distracting Kalyn and the team and not helping recruitment.
Exactly.

My initial speculative thought was maybe Ponga is trying to launch some kind of merch thing in line with his re-signing, to maximise exposure.

aqua_duck

Coach
News Limited journos are literally the last ones who get a scoop because everyone involved in the NRL knows they're a bunch of absolute parasites. 95% of News limited articles aren't even news but rather opinion pieces by jibberers who've never been involved in rugby league at any level what so ever

Frederick

Staff member
Knights recruitment manager Clint Zammit was spotted by a Telegraph reader flying into Newcastle on Monday to talk with club officials about the Ponga drama.
Yeah, because your average newspaper reader knows what a clubs recruitment manager looks like 🙄🙄🙄

I wouldn't be able to pick Zammit our of a lineup!

Spot On

Coach
Sure will be a shitload more pressure on Ponga to play like the highest paid player in the game, week in week out, if this circus ever ends and a contract is signed at Newy.

Sure, he’ll have his $$$ and security etc but I’m not sure if some in the media will be as ‘gentle’ on him during periods of poor performance in the future.

perverse

Referee
Sure will be a shitload more pressure on Ponga to play like the highest paid player in the game, week in week out, if this circus ever ends and a contract is signed at Newy.

Sure, he’ll have his $$$ and security etc but I’m not sure if some in the media will be as ‘gentle’ on him during periods of poor performance in the future.
Forget the media, are we seriously going to have to suffer you every week Kalyn trips and has an ordinary game?

Jono078

Referee
Wow! That is way better than I expected. 1m per season isn't bad at all and surely the cap grows within that time too.

It's a great move of confidence by him in the club too.

Spot On

Coach
… and we didn’t have to wait till R10. What a great decision by Team Ponga.

Sanity has prevailed… somewhat.

Bulldog Richie’s ‘source’ pulled the right rein.

Knight Tales

Bench
I was expecting him to agree to the two years with no extension. This is impressive work by the club. Gardner has the bottle his predecessors lacked. If KP starts carving teams up now we can safely say he has been very distracted by this.

Jono078

Referee
I was expecting him to agree to the two years with no extension. This is impressive work by the club. Gardner has the bottle his predecessors lacked. If KP starts carving teams up now we can safely say he has been very distracted by this.
No doubt was some distraction, also who knows how that knee was/is.

But he was looking very lively in the Dragons game.

perverse

Referee
Without knowing the exact details of the contract - no clauses is excellent. The media reporting it as a $5m contract rather than $5.5m or $6m means it's probably closer to $1m a year than $1.2m or $1.25m. Not a significant pay-rise, although I'm sure we've found ways to sweeten the deal.

All in all, I'm sure some people will still find a way to be grouchy about it... but on what is reported thus far, this is the best possible result for the club. You can say he's not worth a mil a year based on his on-field performance, and I'd probably agree... but we're no realistic chance of getting a player anywhere near his calibre to replace him. Had he left on the back of the Barnett release it would have been a PR disaster for the club and honestly set us back years.

It's all on him and the club now. Him to start delivering - and honestly I thought he was great against the Dragons. Not his best - but his attitude was clearly switched on and his involvement was spot on. It's on the club to put a team around him.