What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Woody90

Juniors
I’ve gotta say, I’ve been really impressed with Ponga and how he’s handled himself since returning this year. After all the head knocks in the last few years and then his return against the Eels, I really thought he was done.

I don’t think we can underestimate the psychological effects of what he’s gone through in the past 2 seasons. He has a bit of a reputation for being soft, but I don’t think a lot of players could return from that and play 3 best on ground performances, moving between 2 positions too.

He seems more mature, vocal on the field, and committed to the team’s performance than I ever saw him earlier in his career. I still don’t think he’s a captain, but I’m starting to see signs that he’s getting there. Not sure if it’s due to what he’s experienced with the head knocks or just natural maturing getting older, but something seems to have changed.

He’s always going to experience criticism due to his salary. Even with how much football he’s missed I’m actually still happy we re-signed him (Also mainly because I don’t think we would have spent his salary smartly). At his best he’s still one of the best attacking players there is which we saw last night. I think Reece Walsh is a fantastic young player, but fit and healthy I wouldn’t trade KP for him.

I’m not sure what the future will bring for Ponga. I think we all know that he’s probably one more bad head knock from retirement, but I’m just going to enjoy watching him play while ever we still can.

Jono078

Referee
To Ponga’s defense as well, he was thrown in the deep end with no experience, and asked to provide leadership of a veteran.

I think what we see now is a product of the experience he’s accumulated and especially over the last 18 months. The guy is starting to look like a leader that is demanding his team to follow his lead.

Nkt perfect by any means but just saying the signs are there that he’s finally starting to meet the expectation line we all had for him.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Oh well, the silver lining from QLD belting the Blues tonight is that Ponga & Gags probably won’t get selected for Origin next year unless there are some injuries, so we’ve probably got those two playing some more games for the Knights next year.

Woody90

Juniors
Oh well, the silver lining from QLD belting the Blues tonight is that Ponga & Gags probably won’t get selected for Origin next year unless there are some injuries, so we’ve probably got those two playing some more games for the Knights next year.

This is literally the only positive thing to come out of whatever clusterf**k we just witnessed.

Woody90

Juniors
Not sure he’d even want to play tbh. Could imagine it would feel a bit hollow coming in for a dead rubber to a series you didn’t contribute to. Game 3 could be good experience for younger blokes who haven’t been there before but not sure KP would benefit from it (other than maybe trying to prove to himself he could play without getting knocked out).

Burwood

Bench
I’d slot Brimson straight in at fullback.

If Gagai didnt have his worst performance of the season against Penrith, you’d might have put him at centre and shifted hammer to fullback, but can’t see that happening now.

perverse

Referee

If Gagai didnt have his worst performance of the season against Penrith, you’d might have put him at centre and shifted hammer to fullback, but can’t see that happening now.
Funnily enough Gags has had both of his absolute stinkers this year when there were potential Origin jerseys on the line.

Knight Tales

Juniors

His performance against Tracey was worse.