What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Positives from Today's Loss

Alex28

Coach
we finally saw some fire in the belly today which was good - the last 10 minutes in particular was good. we were unlucky - simple as that.

Terminator

First Grade
About time they showed some mongrel, but I thought Quinn was a bit out of his depht, when Tallis and Meyers were about to launch him into space.

stevo

Juniors
one game out of the game
hardly end of season
rabs is a goose

today was just another reason why we should resign o'davis. i can't explain it but i feel so much better knowing he's a fullback

i thought we'd be flogged after the half time score but to my surprised we played reallly well. good thing kidley got it together after half time

good game. pity the result went the wrong way

~bedsy~

First Grade
Terminator said:
Im proud of the team they showed true grit, we came so close to winning, but it wasnt to be, the best part of the match was when Kennedy said give it to them at the end, and they did!
Ennis should have been bought on much earlier, Parsons was simply tops and must be kept for amother season at least, ODavis and Quinn never gave up, Hall was at his best and Carmonts intercept and his general improvement in defence gave me hope for his future, I think if Perry had played we would have won, Price and M.Kennedy played solidly, all players Hughes, Matt Gidley stood up in the second half and showed what they were made of, yes we will miss BK next year, he was awesome today as was Buderus.
Same here... I thought he had a better game defensivly today.

I was happy that we hung in there and didn't give in once. That's a different Newcastle to past season's.

yep, well done guys, good game. i wont rub it in coz i dont think its right to do that (even though i talk shit before the game). i reckon buderus has really become a great captain. o davis was good today and kennedy showed a lot of heart. good defence too, gidley needs to work on his kicking and there was a bit of dropped ball but i was really happy with the way the broncs played so ill have to say well done to knights you will probably make the 8 i reckon.

astrogirl

First Grade
chriswalkerbush said:
I posted this in the post match discussion, but don't want the loss to tarnish the fact that we did play very well. So, here's my list of positives to come out of today's game. Feel free to add to it.

Despite what Rabs says, our season isn't over.

Ben Kennedy was magnificent. We're going to miss his inspired runs. When he told the boys to fire up, they did accordingly. Our last two near tries came from that intensity.

Parsons has to start over Perry, and if we can, he has to stay on. He was one of our best today.

Defense! Aside from the bad miss leading to Harmichael's try, we were defensively quite good. Hall was a rock. O'Davis was inspirational. It was probably our best game for defensive intensity since Round One.

Kidley found a kicking game that doesn't suck! His short, low chip bombs in the second half were quite effective. I'm still spewing at that Ennis try. Benefit of the doubt should have come in, I don't think you can rule he knocked that on fairly.

Ennis didn't see enough game time IMO, but who can blame Hagan when Buderus was in fine form, and Matty Gidley was producing some good passes from five eighth?

Simpson, O'Davis, and Hall's return from injury. All solid

We're not out of this race, but we're going to need to play like that for the rest of the season to make it. There was something bubbling beneath the surface tonight, and I think if we can scrape into the eight, and we keep that spirit- we could shake things up. We're not dead. There was passion aplenty in our jersey tonight. I'm wearing mine proudly.
Great topic chriswalkerbush :D

I was surprised to see that Gidley started at 5/8 but he did a great job.

Was awesome to see Newton score a try.

I thought Hall did really well in a couple of defensive situations where there were a lot of Broncos players near his wing.

Quinn's attempts at taking the ball up for the 2nd tackle were inspiring.

In defence, it was great to see BK turning around to inspire the boys while being involved in every second tackle himself.

Kidley had a solid game (other than a couple of instances of dropped ball).

Parsons - great game. What can I say. He busted his gut yesterday.

O'Davis was great at the back in sh_tty conditions.

Overall, I thought we played well. We grabbed our chances towards the end of the game with both hands and we were unlucky not to come away with the win.

macavity

Referee
I have grave doubts we will make the 8.

But im not as upset as I should be.

The boys put in well and we were ROBBED with the Ennis no-try. The ball DID NOT hit the ground before he grounded it with his tum.... HOW was it a knock on?????

Anywhoo, the biggest positive we can take out is GUTS - we actually played with some FOR ONCE.

antonius

Coach
A huge positive is the continued rise of Clint Newton, he has really got it together since coming back. Another positive is that we learnt we should never stick Matt Gidley at 5/8th again.

gaterooze

Bench
stevo said:
one game out of the game
hardly end of season
rabs is a goose

Because the Sharks and Raiders both lost this week, we are still exactly the same chance of making the 8 as we were before yesterday's game.

Nothing has changed.

macavity

Referee
I cant believe the SHARKS are killing us.

They are CRAP!!!!

I had a bet with a guy at work (his bro is Paul Franze) - he bet the Sharks would make the 8... lucky I quit or he would be giving me MAJOR sh!t about now....

I don't think we will make the 8 this year, I just cant see us winning ALL of our remaining games.

But hope springs eternal.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Great game boys. We were robbed of the Ennis try though which really pissed me off.
I had to watch it on tele being up in Brissy, and after the Broncs scored their 3rd try in 12 minutes I kicked my remotes to the floor expecting a flogging. But we hung in and I was jumping around when Ennis planted it, then a F***ING NO TRY, HORSESH*T.
Were still in it though, we have to play as well or better in the final rounds, and we have to win our next 4 games against NQ, Souths, Manly and Canberra.

Johns Magic

Referee
Zoidberg said:
Great game boys. We were robbed of the Ennis try though which really pissed me off.
I had to watch it on tele being up in Brissy, and after the Broncs scored their 3rd try in 12 minutes I kicked my remotes to the floor expecting a flogging. But we hung in and I was jumping around when Ennis planted it, then a F***ING NO TRY, HORSESH*T.
Were still in it though, we have to play as well or better in the final rounds, and we have to win our next 4 games against NQ, Souths, Manly and Canberra.

Ennis knocked it on. It was a no-try.

keeney

First Grade
antonius said:
A huge positive is the continued rise of Clint Newton, he has really got it together since coming back. Another positive is that we learnt we should never stick Matt Gidley at 5/8th again.

i didnt think he went that bad, he set up our first try

Alex28

Coach
keeney said:
he looked very sus in defence, hes gotten worse as the season has gone on

Carmont? I saw him drop off one tackle yesterday. He made a few try saving tackles that kept us in the game. It was probably his best defensive game for the club.

You really have a set against him don't you...

(If you weren't talking about Carmont I apologise...)

Terminator

First Grade
Carmont was really tryimg out there and if he missed one he was usually on the same guy with someone else seconds later, he just has to improve his sliding and marker defence near the tryline, he has a lot of potential, and I sense that hes gratefull for the chance next year, the recognition and the money of course.

keeney

First Grade
Alex28 said:
keeney said:
he looked very sus in defence, hes gotten worse as the season has gone on

Carmont? I saw him drop off one tackle yesterday. He made a few try saving tackles that kept us in the game. It was probably his best defensive game for the club.

You really have a set against him don't you...

(If you weren't talking about Carmont I apologise...)

i was one of carmonts biggest fans ever since i saw him at the 7's so no i dont havea set against him, i just feel now that clubs realise hes a weak link in defence hes getting shown up a fair bit

antonius

Coach
keeney said:
antonius said:

i didnt think he went that bad, he set up our first try
He gave the Broncs their first try,when he forced a pass and dropped the ball on the first or second tackle. Then kicked on the 3rd tackle late in the game when we had a two man overlap inside the Broncs 40, the kick went straight to Hunt, end of story. He takes poor options at 5/8th.