What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible NSW Origin Line-ups

voltron

Juniors
atm i would take carney above mullens as well
mullens is getting his confidence up, playing without johns
see how mullens is later in the season with a few more wins
but right at this moment, carney by a length or two
heh

perverse

Referee
carney has had a much more stable start to the season than mullen. he's absolutely carving it up when he's given the opportunity by his forwards, and good on him. raiders fans have obviously been waiting for this for a while, and it's great to see talented juniors popping up all over the place.

i agree with R69.. i think mullen and carney would look great together in the halves sometime in the future.. however one must keep in mind that they are both 5/8th's.. although it is possible that smith and joey will turn mullen into a halfback over time. not sure at this stage what the knights have planned for him long term anymore.

Special K

Coach
i'd feel more safe with bird in the halves then kimmorley!!!!!

as for mullen or carney.. I think both are a year off, but if chosen would stand up. I'm just scared on the risk of a young half with no stand out partner.

mxlegend99

Referee
From the form displayed so far, i'd have the team as:

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Luke Rooney
3. Matt King
4. Matt Cooper
5. Brett Stewart
6. Todd Carney
7. Craig Gower (Matt Orford depending on his form when he returns)
8. Mark O'Meley
9. Danny Buderus
10. Luke Bailey
11. Willie Mason
12. Nathan Hindmarsh
13. Greg Bird

14. Brent Kite
15. Andrew Ryan
16. Joel Clinton/Steve Simpson/Paul Gallen/Alan Tongue
17. Robbie Farah

Mini hasn't really been the best fullback, but he is on his way back there... i threw Stewart on the wing, and i think they could share the duties... way too good to miss out, and since Lyon has been average, i moved King into the centres and that free spot would have gone to Grothe, except his form is attrocious atm. Works out well for Stewart.

Forward pack is pretty easy to get a good one. Some great forwards in form at the moment. So many options, it matters very little which of them gets the spots. Farah will ignite our attack off the bench. Almost wanted to drop Bedsy... but i'll give him the BOTD for now.

legend

Coach
I'd have:

Stewart
Rooney
Cooper
Lyon
King
Carney
Gower
Bird
Mason
Hindmarsh
Kite
Buderus
Bailey

O'Meley
Ryan
Simpson
Gallen

Y2Eel

First Grade
perverse said:
who would you turn up to see then?

Hopefully not Carney he woud get smashed He isnt Consistent enough or good enough TO play State Of Origin at this stage of his carrer...

perverse

Referee
Y2Eel said:
Hopefully not Carney he woud get smashed He isnt Consistent enough or good enough TO play State Of Origin at this stage of his carrer...
that didn't answer my question.

perverse

Referee
Y2Eel said:
Refs and Maybe touchies..good enough for ya?
nope. it's nice that you have an opinion on carney - but to say that he shouldn't play origin when he's in great form and then not have a viable alternative lowers the value of your opinion considerably.

Y2Eel

First Grade
perverse said:
nope. it's nice that you have an opinion on carney - but to say that he shouldn't play origin when he's in great form and then not have a viable alternative lowers the value of your opinion considerably.

Ooooooooooooooh I thought you were just dicking around...

Well He has played what 5 games so far this season and played 2 good games... So no he's form isnt good enough right now stick him in the city country and see how he goes..

Mullens a halfback now so dont play him at 5/8 Anasta would be the only alternative and he's form is patchy aswell.. Gad i dont have to pick the NSW team...

Timbo

Staff member
1-B.Hodgson
2-E.Grothe
3-M.Cooper
4-J.Lyon
5-M.King
6-T.Carney
7-B.Kimmorley
8-M.O'Meeley
9-D.Buderus
10-L.Bailey
11-A.Ryan
12-N.Hindmarsh
13-L.O'Donnell

14-B.Kite
15-S.Simpson
16-P.Gallen
17-J.Clinton

perverse

Referee
Y2Eel said:
Ooooooooooooooh I thought you were just dicking around...

Well He has played what 5 games so far this season and played 2 good games... So no he's form isnt good enough right now stick him in the city country and see how he goes..

Mullens a halfback now so dont play him at 5/8 Anasta would be the only alternative and he's form is patchy aswell.. Gad i dont have to pick the NSW team...
much much better.

can't agree with you on mullen being a halfback now.. he's wearing the #7 but he doesnt look comfortable a lot of the time. definately showed a lot against souths in the second half though.

as for carney - i've only seen him in both the monday night games this year.. so i suppose i can't comment on his form for the whole 5 rounds, but what i saw in those 2 games was very very good. pretty sure i've said in numerous threads (possibly even this one) that i'd like to see him perform away from home and carry this form over the next 4 weeks before i'd send him out against the maroons. city country hadnt even crossed my mind - so good call.

i too am glad i don't have to pick the team - which is why i've tried to avoid discussion in terms of naming a full team - because i simply don't have any answers. it's a scary year for NSW.

icewind

Juniors
having forgot a few players.....

1. Hodgson/Stewart/Mini
2. Tahu/Rooney
3. Cooper
4. Lyon (he will get picked)
5. King

6. Mullen/Carney/Hornby
7. Gower/Orford (probably Gower)

8. Bailey
9. Bedsy (only cos he lifts for origin, farah on the bench)
10. Kite
11. Hindmarsh
12. Mason
13. Bird/Gallen/Ryan

14. Gallen/Tupou
15. Clinton
16. O'Meley
17. Farah

Thats about how I see it.

Picked mostly on form, with the exception of Lyon, cos he's gonna get picked no matter what. Having Clinton and O'meley on the bench should add some firepower to an already imposing pack, its just down to 2 spots for guys like bird, gallen, ryan and tupou imo. Its a pity cos they are all in form, and each offer something different. Bird and Gallen in irresistable form atm, Ryan his experience, and Tupou would be great at getting 2nd phase play going, which i think the blues will need.

mxlegend99

Referee
I don't think Tahu will be selected. He is going to Union and will be punished by selectors for it IMO.

I hope Stewart gets fullback, or a spot ont he wing atleast... he's a try scoring machine... and we need as many as we can get in our backs.

Jono078

Referee
1. Minichiello
2. Tahu
3. Lyon
4. King
5. Grothe
6. Carney
7. Orford
8. Kite
9. Buderus
10. O'Meley