What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potter

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Terry Lamb got 3 years, I see no reason why Potter can't have a decade.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Its funny how quickly people throw in the towel. Our season is not over!

I always thought that we would be fighting it out at the end of the season to get into the top 8. I have a feeling that the game against the Sharks at Leichardt will be the decider

No point in changing coaches for the sake of it. Really, we punted Sheens and took a chance on a rookie coach. If all reports have a modicum of truth to them, we are going to punt a rookie coach for an even greener one.

This makes little to no sense at all.

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
This is an important point, unfortunately, the top coaches have boards that support them and believe in them. Our board has been our own worst enemy since the Joint Ventures inception and even now when they are on the brink of being reformed by NRL intervention, they are white anting the very organisation which has supported their parasitic existence for the past 15 years.

The best thing that could happen to the club is for this side to somehow make the eight, triggering Potter's automatic one year extension which would ideally provide enough time for the new board to finalised. Hopefully then sanity would prevail and we wouldn't have the players running the club again.

"sanity", what's that ???, doesn't he play second row for WT's in NSW Cup?? :D

macnaz

Staff member
Maybe we should just let the players pick the coach , then they have no more excuses to use when they fail to perform. We will also see how rock solid they are towards Payten when things go astray.

The Rosco

Bench
Maybe we should just let the players pick the coach , then they have no more excuses to use when they fail to perform. We will also see how rock solid they are towards Payten when things go astray.

. . . And there it is.
The players have found an easy way to deflect the blame from themselves.
They can blame Potter . . . have him punted . . . and it buys them another season or 2 of half-arsed effort while the new coach settles in.
No responsibility on their part. Just join in with the media chorus and blame the coach.

super_coach

First Grade
I can't believe people are accepting some rumour as fact.

I find the rumour farcical.

Mate not a rumor, the merchant of spin Grant Mayer has already hit the social media with a long winded, wishy washy piece of fluff on the matter.

So to me that means Potter is a dead duck on the back of player power and the Brian Smith report.

Imagine if the players tried to shaft Jack Gibson or Warren Ryan. Its a new world where its always someone else who is the problem.

What to did Gus the Gob say
Administrators --look after the office
coaches --look after the team
players--play

Tiger05

First Grade
If Terry Lamb got 3 years, I see no reason why Potter can't have a decade.

Potter deserves some more time. Some of his selections have been annoying but in reality it hasn't been that bad.

I wouldn't give him 10 years yet but they should be reasonable and give him some more time.

TYGA

Juniors
We should only replace the coach with a better option. Its that simple. An unproven coach is not an option. That said I would rate Bennet, Henry (GC) assistant as better options.

If we get rid of Potter for Kidwell/Payten its a bad call.

Pezz70

Juniors
What qualifies Smith to comment on Potter! If the players are looking to neck Potter, Smith may walk in to the role, then the boneheads will know they're alive. They need to pull their heads in and put in 100% on the paddock . A positive approach and desire will get them winning. Game plans about 20% the other 80% comes from the players

Tigerm

Coach
I'd be happy for Potter to stay, but I have always thought the head coach gets too much say on the NRL team as the sole selector, to me, an easy fix would be to have a selection panel that selects the team each week. The head coach would be included in that panel. This should ensure/hope that the team is being picked on merit not on favoritism.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The question I have is: Why, again, is the running of the club being played out in the media? f**king embarrassing.

tiger102

Juniors
I'd be happy for Potter to stay. Let Payten and the loose lips players go. Bring in a Bennett type to be head of football operations. Paul Mcgregor or Garth Brennan will be very good assistant coach. just imo. As for Grant Mayer grow a set mate, tell the players if they don't like it leave. I hope the new board gives the power back to the coach not the players.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
We could learn a bit from how Penrith have turned things around. Got a good coach, Gould is Gould and a good plan to buy the right players they needed to prop up positions that were weak....

rex2ce

Juniors
Dont have any problem with the head coach being sole selector, its his head on the chopping block if it dont work, as we can clearly see, no mention of Kidwell and Payten potentially losing their jobs

ucantseeme

Juniors
If they beat the Bulldogs this weekend I assume there will be an article in the Telegraph next week saying Potter will soon get a contract upgrade and that other clubs are interested.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Former grand-final coach Brian Smith has recommended Wests Tigers employ a head of football as pressure mounts on Mick Potter to keep his job.
Potter has two games to show he has the support of the playing group before the joint-venture's board meets on July 31 to discuss the coaching situation.
Smith spent five weeks at the club recently to review the Tigers' football operations from a grassroots level upwards, but he was not engaged to examine Potter’s credentials. However, the underlying feedback to Smith from various people within the Tigers was a lack of communication from the NRL coach.
Smith – who was coach while Potter captained St George to a 1993 grand-final loss – has not made any recommendations about Potter’s future. Just six weeks ago, Potter was close to receiving a two-year contract extension but the club’s performances have fallen away in recent weeks, and any extension now is unlikely as relations between the coach and senior players sour. Fairfax Media understands that poor communication between Potter and the players has resulted in growing discontent among the players.
It is understood Tigers boss Grant Mayer will meet with the playing group on Friday in a bid to clear the air about any misgivings the players have about Potter.
There is a concerted push from the players for assistant coach Todd Payten to be promoted to the head role from next year. Like Potter, Payten is off-contract at the end of this year, while fellow assistant David Kidwell is contracted until the end of next year. Payten and Kidwell were added to the NRL staff this season.
Had Potter made the top eight last year he would have been given an automatic contract extension and pay rise, but that deal lapsed when the Tigers struggled, winning just seven games to finish second last on the premiership ladder in his first year as coach of the club. However, a top-eight finish this year could still save Potter.
Mayer said the Tigers had sought “independent input” surrounding the club’s coaching position.
“Running concurrent to the push to the finals is the board’s decision on our coaching structure and head coach for 2015,” Mayer wrote to Tigers’ members on Thursday. “We’ve had independent input to this process and a number of players and staff have been consulted.
“The results of this review have highlighted many areas to address and we will do so privately and without public comment. These decisions will not be rushed and will be made with the best interests of Wests Tigers in mind.
“We understand that people want to know what is happening at the club but please know that delicate and important decisions like this should not be influenced by any external sources.”
The Tigers – who host the in-form Bulldogs on Sunday – have a growing injury ward and James Tedesco, Braith Anasta, Liam Fulton, David Nofoaluma are all sidelined.
Potter joins Gold Coast Titans mentor John Cartwright, who also faces an uncertain future, while St George Illawarra and Newcastle continue their search for a coach.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tter-wavers-20140717-zu1qt.html#ixzz37mmN44Ah

ucantseeme

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/an...ate-with-players/story-fndv39ms-1226992684377

AN internal Wests Tigers report that controversially claims coach Mick Potter struggles to “educate and communicate” has left him clinging to his future at Concord.
The report was compiled by new club consultant Brian Smith — a former first grade coach with 580 games experience, who ironically was a former mentor of Potter’s during his playing days at St George in the 1990s.
Smith interviewed 40 people — including players, coaches, welfare officers and stakeholders — in finalising a report into the club’s structure from NRL to junior representative level.
The Daily Telegraph has been told the report supported some earlier concerns Tigers management had about Potter’s style.
Wests Tigers chief executive Grant Mayer, who assisted Smith in compiling the report, would not comment on Thursday but it is known he has spoken to Potter about the findings.
Given the report’s contents, and recent media speculation, it is understood Potter will struggle to secure a new deal.
The report did not make any recommendations but did focus — and was harsh — on the coaching structure across the club’s entire program.
There were though key comments in the report from players, who also questioned some elements of Potter’s coaching. It’s understood the report also centred on the need for stronger education.
The Daily Telegraph has also been told Smith has pushed for the club to hire a head of football.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I wonder who Brian Smith thinks is suitable for such a position. Certainly someone with many years of coaching experience at a variety of clubs.

Latest posts