What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potter

magpie_man

Juniors
Potter deserves some kudos for blooding Moses for first grade at fullback, thus far it has proven to be a masterstroke.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone else catch Blocker talking about this issue on NRL 360. He is pretty much on Potter's side and said no player should be involved in selecting or removing coaches. He said he played under coaches he didn't like or agree with, but he still did his job.

He also seemed to be suggesting that there are some members of the coaching staff who love to take some of the credit when the team wins, but when it loses it's all Potter's fault (that's me reading between the lines, not what he actually said)

macnaz

Staff member
Yes, the Parish situation is interesting, I wonder as well.

Yes my first thoughts as well , particularly when he was being mentioned prior to Potter getting the nod.
I was a fan at the time but now thinking about how crap Ricky is im concerned about having a coach that as learnt from him.

macnaz

Staff member
Anyone else catch Blocker talking about this issue on NRL 360. He is pretty much on Potter's side and said no player should be involved in selecting or removing coaches. He said he played under coaches he didn't like or agree with, but he still did his job.

He also seemed to be suggesting that there are some members of the coaching staff who love to take some of the credit when the team wins, but when it loses it's all Potter's fault (that's me reading between the lines, not what he actually said)

Hmmm I wouldnt be surprised about the last comments .

Perth Tiger

Bench
Yes my first thoughts as well , particularly when he was being mentioned prior to Potter getting the nod.
I was a fan at the time but now thinking about how crap Ricky is im concerned about having a coach that as learnt from him.

Particularly when you look at Ricky's other disciples in Cartwright and Flanagan

Tigerm

First Grade
I hope the sportal rumour is true:

Potter still the man?
The push by senior Wests Tigers players to oust coach Mick Potter is on the verge of back-firing.
After all-but sending Potter to walk the plank last week, the club is now seriously considering giving the embattled coach a new deal.
The Tigers' stunning win over the Bulldogs, coupled with a resistance against the players dictating terms to the board, have resulted in the backflip.
Chief executive Grant Mayer has also been put under massive pressure to back Potter from influential sections of the media.
If Potter does stay, there will be changes to the coaching structure.
Assistant coaches Todd Payten and David Kidwell are both likely to leave and the club is likely to hire a head of coaching to oversee Potter's work.

Link

Not saying its not so, as I don't know, but last weeks game against the dog's didn't look like the players were doing anything but positive things for the coach?

I'd be surprised if Payten got punted.

I wonder who a head coach might be? Surely not Smith or Sheens, not to many options around, I would have thought, after all we are not flush with funds.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
They were saying on NRL360 last night that it was just one player who wanted Potter gone and replaced by Payten.

Not sure who that player would be. I highly doubt it's Farah because his biggest issue was being allowed to have control over the side while Benji was trying to do the same. Farah has control all on his own now.

I don't believe it'd be any of the young guns, because they've been given good opportunities by Potter.

Who's left?
Richards - Potter brought him back home, so I'd say no.
Lulia - Potter brought him back into the NRL, so I'd say no.
Lawrence - Hard to say. Was made captain for a game, so maybe not.
Anasta - Retiring, doesn't give a shit
Galloway - Doesn't seem the sort to be worried about a coach, nor would I imagine he'd be a power figure behind the scenes who could garner enough support to overthrow a coach.
Thompson - Has been in good form and getting more of a run in NRL than he's ever had before, so I'd imagine he'd be pretty happy.
Blair - Playing good footy too, has a set gameplan which suits him better.

I'm just not convinced that this issue about a player rift with Potter has any legs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a board member or some such that is pushing this drivel.

Radical Rat

Juniors
They were saying on NRL360 last night that it was just one player who wanted Potter gone and replaced by Payten.

Not sure who that player would be. I highly doubt it's Farah because his biggest issue was being allowed to have control over the side while Benji was trying to do the same. Farah has control all on his own now.

I don't believe it'd be any of the young guns, because they've been given good opportunities by Potter.

Who's left?
Richards - Potter brought him back home, so I'd say no.
Lulia - Potter brought him back into the NRL, so I'd say no.
Lawrence - Hard to say. Was made captain for a game, so maybe not.
Anasta - Retiring, doesn't give a shit
Galloway - Doesn't seem the sort to be worried about a coach, nor would I imagine he'd be a power figure behind the scenes who could garner enough support to overthrow a coach.
Thompson - Has been in good form and getting more of a run in NRL than he's ever had before, so I'd imagine he'd be pretty happy.
Blair - Playing good footy too, has a set gameplan which suits him better.

I'm just not convinced that this issue about a player rift with Potter has any legs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a board member or some such that is pushing this drivel.

If that is true and it is only one player, there is only one player that is important enough to generate this kind of circus...and that's Robbie.

I'm in no way saying it is him, but there is no other player with that much sway.

Fordy20

Juniors

I agree. There was a comment the other day in SMH where the players were saying that they were tired of the board saying that the players wanted Potter gone. I just think it's the last death throes of cancerous board members whining because they are about to booted off the gravy train.

bjm8

Juniors
I hope the sportal rumour is true:

Potter still the man?
The push by senior Wests Tigers players to oust coach Mick Potter is on the verge of back-firing.
After all-but sending Potter to walk the plank last week, the club is now seriously considering giving the embattled coach a new deal.
The Tigers' stunning win over the Bulldogs, coupled with a resistance against the players dictating terms to the board, have resulted in the backflip.
Chief executive Grant Mayer has also been put under massive pressure to back Potter from influential sections of the media.
If Potter does stay, there will be changes to the coaching structure.
Assistant coaches Todd Payten and David Kidwell are both likely to leave and the club is likely to hire a head of coaching to oversee Potter's work.

Link

Please...

super_coach

First Grade
Their is just to much smoke from every media outlet in town, for it all to be a beat up.

I have no inside knowledge but most mutinies start with a person who has ambitions to take control. We see it all the time in politics. Anyway this person can not do it on his own so he gets the masses on side. So with this in mind, one or both of Potters assistants are probably up to this to their eye balls, and of course if it fails they than deflect the blame onto the players. Also most likely one of those invisible parasites who sits in the board room might be involved to.

Football clubs are just the same as political parties, their are a lot of people in it for their own personal gain rather than the good of the party

macnaz

Staff member
Their is just to much smoke from every media outlet in town, for it all to be a beat up.

I have no inside knowledge but most mutinies start with a person who has ambitions to take control. We see it all the time in politics. Anyway this person can not do it on his own so he gets the masses on side. So with this in mind, one or both of Potters assistants are probably up to this to their eye balls, and of course if it fails they than deflect the blame onto the players. Also most likely one of those invisible parasites who sits in the board room might be involved to.

Football clubs are just the same as political parties, their are a lot of people in it for their own personal gain rather than the good of the party

Just maybe Smith has cottoned on to this .. and maybe the suggestion of Payten leaving could have some truth. . Who friggin knows... just wish this place would get on with playing footy :(

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree sc, only the Sydney media has penchant for making up shit/blowing things out of proportion and never backing down, despite facts suggesting otherwise.

Makes me very sceptical of what they have to say

super_coach

First Grade
I would agree sc, only the Sydney media has penchant for making up shit/blowing things out of proportion and never backing down, despite facts suggesting otherwise.

Makes me very sceptical of what they have to say

The tabloids when it comes to sport and most other things are out for the big story and the truth is often brushed under the carpet, but in saying that I think this one their is some truth. Its being going around for over a year now and will not go away, most other stories that are mainly invented, rather than based on truth, blow out as quickly as the surface.

I like most people would like to see Potter remain at the helm, but this crap has to be put to bed,even if it means showing the non believers the door

FootynRacing

Juniors
An interesting article from Matty Johns. Farah is backing Potter & MJ seems to be saying all this crap coming out is coming from the club management? Not sure why they would want to do it though?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-and-unnecessary/story-e6frf3wu-1227000422494

The hierarchy that want to get rid of Potter are probably the same guys that wanted to pay Benji the big dollars to stay.
I've been waiting for Farah to come out and back Potter but i'm yet to see it. Have I missed something ?

Didn't Johns say the other day there was a player agent whom texted him about player unrest? Now it's all coming from management?

Which is it? This merkin has no credibility whatsoever. Makes Rothfield look like Laurie Oakes.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
An interesting article from Matty Johns. Farah is backing Potter & MJ seems to be saying all this crap coming out is coming from the club management? Not sure why they would want to do it though?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...-and-unnecessary/story-e6frf3wu-1227000422494

This wouldn't surprise me at all. If you remember when Potter got the job there were rumours that some of the board members were unhappy as they wanted Parish.

Would it be too far fetched to say that some board members would go as far as making it appear that the players want Potter gone, when in reality it is some of those fossils who don't like him?

Who f**king knows. All I know is, if they punt Potter they can also shove their membership too.