What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Potter

R2Coupe

Juniors
Very tough start but you are starting to see what he has brought to the side. The defensive efforts of late have been very impressive, much better than anything under Sheens.

Very excited about our future.

Hybrid, would you like to revise your statement? The description below is from the Chookpen

If we don't win this one at least 40-0, then it will be very worrying. Their defense is literally paper thin. A grandma on a walker could score against them and with craptain Anasta in the halves, it says it all really doesn't

Hybrid, would you like to revise your statement? The description below is from the Chookpen

If we don't win this one at least 40-0, then it will be very worrying. Their defense is literally paper thin. A grandma on a walker could score against them and with craptain Anasta in the halves, it says it all really doesn't

The c**k supporters are right, if they don't put 40 on us, they're not trying.

The season is a write off for us and half the f**king side don't give a shit so I expect a right thrashing, although if we were to pull off a miracle win I would hope it would be against those merkins.

hybrid_tiger

Coach

My statement was from months ago and still stands, so I would not like to revise it at all.

R2Coupe

Juniors
Why did Potter not use the Game Plan to provide his strategic plan for the future of the club? He had the perfect opportunity to sell himself and his plan for the club but failed.

A short summary of where he believes the team should be by the end of the year, end of next year and what exactly he is doing in regard to junior development and recruitment.

I would have been interested to learn what he considers a "pass mark" for his performance as coach by end of year and also that of the team.

He did provide excuses why his team hasn't performed. .

The fact the team has regressed in its playing standards is a major concern and is no doubt one of the reasons his position is under threat.

Again, I thought he missed a great opportunity to sell himself.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why did Potter not use the Game Plan to provide his strategic plan for the future of the club? He had the perfect opportunity to sell himself and his plan for the club but failed.

A short summary of where he believes the team should be by the end of the year, end of next year and what exactly he is doing in regard to junior development and recruitment.

I would have been interested to learn what he considers a "pass mark" for his performance as coach by end of year and also that of the team.

The fact the team has regressed in its playing standards is a major concern and is no doubt one of the reasons his position is under threat.

He only has to get the board on his side. He doesn't need to pull out public stunts like Sheens.

Potter is not coach to be famous. That was Sheens' gig. I know you love Sheens, but you have to realise that Potter is a different man.

Tiger05

First Grade

I don't think that this is a fair call. I think we have gone backwards but I can't blame Potter or better put I'm prepared to give Potter more time to prove himself.

Sheens stuffed us and it was time for him to go. Sheens was great for a number of years but he lost it. Potter is just getting started - give him a chance.

The team regressed before Potter even arrived, this year was the culmination of years of rot.

A bit hard to judge a man on one year when he's inherited someone else's mess. I personally believe he should be given until the end of 2015 to build toward something but he'll get his chance next year to guide his squad under his own terms.

I'm curious as to whether they will spend Marshall's salary, or use it to front load a few contracts or hold off for a mid season buy.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
He did provide excuses why his team hasn't performed.

Actually, he admitted he is happy to work on his communication skills and said that when teams don't win the blame lies at the feet of the head coach, so he did not make excuses at all.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
The team regressed before Potter even arrived, this year was the culmination of years of rot.

A bit hard to judge a man on one year when he's inherited someone else's mess. I personally believe he should be given until the end of 2015 to build toward something but he'll get his chance next year to guide his squad under his own terms.

I'm curious as to whether they will spend Marshall's salary, or use it to front load a few contracts or hold off for a mid season buy.

I reckon the bare bones of the new 'post Sheens and Marshall' team are there with the young-uns coming through and the depth signings for next year that Potter has recruited.

I'd like to hold fire on using up the salary dollars freed up by Marshall going to target a key signing. At present there isn't much on the player market, next year, maybe someone will come up. WT lost a lot of their second row grunt and toughness with the loss of Ellis and Dwyer. We have not really replaced that ability yet but hopefully some of the up and comers can fill the void or we can target recruitment when players become available.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Actually, he admitted he is happy to work on his communication skills and said that when teams don't win the blame lies at the feet of the head coach, so he did not make excuses at all.

I agree Hybrid, Potter did say he was prepared to change. It seems his style of communication is abrasive. It is probably more honesty and some people don't like hearing the truth, especially prescious footballers in poor form.

Potter said he will change, when change was discussed with Sheens (his KPI's) he had the guy sacked for suggesting all was his fault. Potter is just being honest and right now, I respect him for it....

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Bumping this thread with the report that Potter is likely to be re-signed. Also, I had no idea that Brian Smith was doing a club review. Wonder who started the vicious rumour about him being there to knife Potter? :sarcasm:

Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter has gone from dead man walking to a man in demand

Daniel Lane
Published: June 22, 2014 - 1:38AM

Less than a year after being viewed as the NRL coaching fraternity's version of a dead man walking, Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter is on the verge of signing a contract extension with Wests Tigers.

Twelve months after his tenure was viewed as a week-to-week proposition and the axing of Benji Marshall caused ructions within the playing group, the dual Dally M medallist finally seems to have shaken off what was a brutal initiation.

The off-contract Potter has found his groove this season as the Tigers have moved into finals contention with a young side, leading to an optimistic view of the future of the joint-venture club.

Chief executive Grant Mayer confirmed on Saturday that Potter's effort was about to be rewarded with a new deal.

"There's a board meeting next week and the coaching appointment is a decision for the board," Mayer said. "It's absolutely a priority for us to get something done.

"[Potter] is a great bloke to have around the club. He's easy to work with and you can say where he wants [the club] to go."

Mayer reaffirmed the club's support for Potter after Fairfax Media asked him whether there was any truth to rumours the reason former grand final coach Brian Smith was recruited by Wests Tigers as a consultant to provide an overview of the merged club's football operations was to "assasinate" Potter.

"It disappoints me that anyone would think like that," Mayer said. "You have to ask where that [rumour] came from because there has to be a reason why the person started it. All I can say as CEO is it's absolute fiction.

"This was never about a review of the coach, it's about a review of the football department and anyone who says otherwise is being malicious and that's a disappointment.

"Brian was never brought in to [target Potter]. A football department is bigger than one man and what [Smith] has been doing is looking at how we are structured generally – it's not about one individual."

Mayer said the reason Smith, who has coached at Illawarra, St George, Newcastle, the Sydney Roosters and Parramatta, was appointed to conduct the review was because he has vast experience in creating pathways for talented players to progress through to the top grade.

"Brian Smith is a big believer in clubs having development pathways and we're a development club," he said. "That was the reason why we picked him. I'd never met the man more than once in 15 years, so there was no relationship. His name was suggested [for the job] and I thought it was a good idea."

While Wests Tigers have the bye this weekend, the resurgence of the team has, in affect, been the result of the pain the club went through last year when Potter was forced to throw rookies, such as Luke Brooks, into first grade.

Others – including marquee recruit Adam Blair, who Potter publicly supported when there were calls from the club's vocal supporter base to punt the New Zealand international because they didn't believe he was living up to his $500,000-a-season deal – have hit their straps and provided the club with grunt.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...alking-to-a-man-in-demand-20140621-zshfd.html

Pezz70

Juniors
I think it would be unwise to sign him for anymore than two years. Look what happened with Sheens! Two years with a results driven option for another two years if he keep us in the top four or some similar performance based KPI

Tiger05

First Grade
I think it would be unwise to sign him for anymore than two years. Look what happened with Sheens! Two years with a results driven option for another two years if he keep us in the top four or some similar performance based KPI

I argued he should be signed on a long term contract but now I'm not so sure. I'd definitely re-sign him however there are some worrying signs with team selections.

Latest posts