What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Predictions 2019

mozza91

Coach
Predicting Souths to go down the ladder abit. The Burgess twins will resume their inconsistent pre 2018 form. Inglis will begin to struggle and Cook and Walker won’t be as good as 2018. They’ll finish just outside the 8.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Predicting Souths to go down the ladder abit. The Burgess twins will resume their inconsistent pre 2018 form. Inglis will begin to struggle and Cook and Walker won’t be as good as 2018. They’ll finish just outside the 8.
Crichton is also a huge loss.

People who say they lose nothing because Murray moves into the backrow are short sighted because they lose Murray's impact off the bench.

They can afford zero injuries because their forward depth is horrid.

King hit

Coach
One of the big questions this year is if the Roosters can go back to back. I believe they have a golden chance to do so as the team has become stronger with the addition of Crichton. They are a superbly rounded side with the extra guidance from Cronk they will be one of the top sides again this year.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I think we are deserved favourites. Ie. we have the best chance of winning.
But the favourite doesn't always win, the best team on paper doesn't always win, the best horse doesn't always win, and some merkin wins the lotto of few weeks even though the odds are miniscule.
Since there's no money riding on internet predictions, I feel like making more interesting tips than whoever has the best roster

Agreer. The great unknown is the level of improvement in the other teams. Sometimes you think you are doing everything right and have improved over an off-season and a team with perhaps more potential gets it right and improves out of sight.

Suddenly you are behind the competition despite your improvement....

The NRL finds players every year that break out and turn the team into an instant contender.

Cogburn

Juniors
I think we are deserved favourites. Ie. we have the best chance of winning.
But the favourite doesn't always win, the best team on paper doesn't always win, the best horse doesn't always win, and some merkin wins the lotto of few weeks even though the odds are miniscule.
Since there's no money riding on internet predictions, I feel like making more interesting tips than whoever has the best roster
So you're a Roosters "supporter" who tips any team other than the Roosters to win the comp because it's boring to go for the best team. That makes a lot of sense???????????:rolleyes:

Tommy Smith

Referee
So you're a Roosters "supporter" who tips any team other than the Roosters to win the comp because it's boring to go for the best team. That makes a lot of sense???????????:rolleyes:
It could be worse.

He could be a Roosters supporter who spends his days quesitoning the loyalty of other Roosters supporters.

Not everyone has to go full "Hail Hydra!" in the way they support their team.

AJB1102

First Grade
Agreer. The great unknown is the level of improvement in the other teams. Sometimes you think you are doing everything right and have improved over an off-season and a team with perhaps more potential gets it right and improves out of sight.

The NRL finds players every year that break out and turn the team into an instant contender.

Not only that, every team aims up extra against the premiers. Everyone looks at what they did, how they did it - they'd be the most studied team. Then you've got retirements and cap pressures. Going back-to-back would be pretty incredible in today's game.

Tommy Smith

Referee

There's the competition and their potential to improve, but the biggest unknown is always key injuries.

In the run in to the finals you're basically running the gauntlet every game with your key players. Tedesco, Latrell, Keary, Cronk, JWH...

If just one goes down for the season then we're right back to the field.

But I take your point on the opposition. Someone will step up. I see enormous improvement in the Broncos with their young forward pack.

And also the Panthers who have massive potential. If the likes of Egan, Katoa, Leota and Hetherington take that massive leap, and they have an injury free year for once, then Penrith have enormous potential.

So someone will step up and imo we'll need all of our key players on deck to stay on top.

But if we are injury free come week 1 of the finals then I'll definitely back us to go b2b on the strength of Cronk's leadership and ability to keep everyone laser focused on the task.

Valheru

Coach
One of the big questions this year is if the Roosters can go back to back. I believe they have a golden chance to do so as the team has become stronger with the addition of Crichton. They are a superbly rounded side with the extra guidance from Cronk they will be one of the top sides again this year.

Personally I am not sure that is true.

I have yet to see anything that suggests Crighton is any better than Matterson.

Also, the loss of Ferguson is going to be massive. Morris is a very good finisher and a decent defender but he won't be making the metres out of our own end that Fergo did. Manu and/or Latrell are going to really have to pick up the slack there.

footy75

Bench
The lack of motivation is the biggest one for me. Sure, on the field they'll want to win just as much, however its all the 1%s that you do during the week that count. Everyone getting to training early and being switched on the whole time, looking after your body correctly during the week, getting enough sleep etc. When you read books about sportiing teams having big achievements the whole team collectivley is in the zone together and 100% committed to being the best they can be for the desired outcome. Its very difficult to get every person doing that year after year, especially the year after you've won it. Even a 5% drop in motivation/discipline from 2-3 players in the squad is enough for another team to overtake you.

Good post. Spot on.

With the quality of juniors coming through the Sharks will be fine.

We have quality props, a smart young hooker and plenty of great playmakers in the halves. That formula is always a receipe for success in the NRL.

When you can put out a starting forward pack of

Fifita
Brailey
Woods
Bukuya
Graham
Gallen

You are going to be competitive in every game you play.

Artiste

Juniors
This is a good call actually

Artiste

Juniors
I might get laughed at here but I think the teams who could surprise us & improve would be:
Wests
Manly
Canberra

gerg

Juniors
I think they'll all improve. Wests and Canberra to sneak into the 8, Manly not enough though

Yeah I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Manly improve. They have a couple of really top shelf players to build around with DCE, Trobyevic brothers and two decent props in AFB and Tapau. I don't know that they play finals because there's plenty of trash around those decent players. A coach with a point to prove and an improvement on the last coach.

I don't know about Wests. They over achieved last year, can they do that for a second year? Again, a coach with a point to prove.

Speaking of coaches, Ricky got diss. 1 finals appearance in 5 seasons in charge. Who else would you have in your corner than a crafty old halfback who is the smartest man in the game. Step aside peasants, Ricky's time to shine and prove all you doubters wrong. Get tour texers ready.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I might get laughed at here but I think the teams who could surprise us & improve would be:
Wests
Manly
Canberra

Manly have a strange team. The players are either absolute guns or complete and utter dross.

Wests are the opposite, the team is ‘solid.’ No real stars but no glaring weakness either.

The Raiders, well, who fcking knows