What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

premier teams merge

gallagher

Juniors
chunk said:
If you call throwing $500 000 down the drain not broken then I suppose it is.

I'd prefer that money went to the Wests Tigers for keeping these young guns at the club.
Who says that the money saved by Wests and Balmain is then gonna go to the Wests Tigers?

chunk

Juniors
gallagher said:
Who says that the money saved by Wests and Balmain is then gonna go to the Wests Tigers?

I would imagine that football money would go to a football team.

It's no secret that both Wests Leagues and Balmain Leagues aren't flushed with cash and don't play anywhere near as much as Parra, Saints, Penrith and the Dogs Leagues Clubs.

As a member I would prefer the Leagues Club spend their money Wests Tigers and sure up the likes of Prince and Marshall.

I would imagine all Wests Tigers fans want those players to stay at the club.

gallagher

Juniors
chunk said:
I would imagine that football money would go to a football team.

It's no secret that both Wests Leagues and Balmain Leagues aren't flushed with cash and don't play anywhere near as much as Parra, Saints, Penrith and the Dogs Leagues Clubs.

As a member I would prefer the Leagues Club spend their money Wests Tigers and sure up the likes of Prince and Marshall.

I would imagine all Wests Tigers fans want those players to stay at the club.

No-one has said the money saved would go to the WT. Its one thing to say what you and I would want but it doesnt mean it will happen.
You just said yourself that neither leagues clubs are flush with money,so wouldnt it be fair to say that if they saved money on Premier league that they would keep the money saved?
We're already spending up to the cap next year anyway. Any extra money wont allow us to spend more on keeping these guys.Remembering were not the rorters.

King Tigerman said:
a merger happened last year balmain merged with ryde you cant have a 3 way merger

also on chunk saying theres only a few hundred that go to stand alone games they should throw open the gates , possibly even consider $2 schooners or $3 cans of JD

I reckon there was about 2,500 - 3,000 at Henson on Saturday for the game against Balmain. It was a great day. Due to being involved in junior sport on Saturday afternoons last week was the first time since the Storm game I had got to Henson for a game. I get to go again this week also hopefully.

innsaneink

Referee
Newtown always get more to their PL games than Wests or BRET do...dunno about the bears.

Id say its because the Jets are their senior team, with no real affiliation to Cronulla, like Balmain & Wests do to Wests Tigers, up till last year there was still old balmain players in top grade, Senter....and still with Hodgson & Skando in top grade originally from the Maggies.

super_coach

First Grade
I first thought,merge the teams,have a single brand name right through the joint venture.In the future people will relate with the the weststigers not balmain or wests,
I now have done a back flip--i think with double the teams,we are giving more young talent a chance to progress to the top.I also think the success we are having at the moment with our first grade will spread through the grades--League or the nrl cant afford to loose any teams,with rugby afl and soocer all trying to get market share

joejoe

Juniors
innsaneink said:
You'll go far son....:roll:

Sorry, not knowing much about sydney suburbs I have no idea, so I assumed it was near Ashfield.

but I understood your idea that lidcome lost its team too when the Magpies relocated to Campbelltown.

joejoe

Juniors
New jumpers for the 2006 magpies should go back to looking like the older designs...

wests2005nrl5jb.jpg

greg

Juniors
Spot on Joe Joe, that is a good looking jersey. Norths saw the light this year and have gone back to a recognisable jersey. Both good jerseys, not as good as Newtowns though (I could be a little bias ).

mightybears

Bench
innsaneink said:
Newtown always get more to their PL games than Wests or BRET do...dunno about the bears.

Id say its because the Jets are their senior team, with no real affiliation to Cronulla, like Balmain & Wests do to Wests Tigers, up till last year there was still old balmain players in top grade, Senter....and still with Hodgson & Skando in top grade originally from the Maggies.

The jets crowds comfortably beat nso crowds.

Newtown market well and smart [if the guy on big brother can wander round wearing a jets shirt on national tv, the jets are doing their marketing very well]
I have seen bogan types wearing said same jets tops in brissie's southern 'burbs and i'll bet they ain't no marrickville diaspora

As for your PL team, don't merge
repeat don't merge.

No doubt the balmain side is keener [the bret thing] but its a signifigant loss of heritage and history let alone the need to please 2 factions re ground allocations etc.

The Premier league is a rare beast and one that I'd love to see supported more.

Newtown at Henson
Saints at Kogarah
Balmain at Leichhardt
North Sydney at NSO
I'd love to see Wests play one game a year at Lidcombe.

Whilst the top flight of football has moved to a more national competition for those that love the idea of sitting on a hill supporting the local team the Premier League is the comp you can still do that.

joejoe

Juniors
I could live with 1 Wests Premier League game a year being held at Lidcombe. For traditions sake, but it would have to be against another traditional club.