What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pressure on greenfield

Bring back choc

Juniors
I think greenfield is in danger of losing his place in the top 17. With bosden, cuthbo, Gower all breathing down his neck. I know Bennett has a big wrap on greenfield, but I think his performances have been weak. He just doesn't seem to run with any aggression. He seems scared to rip in in fear of making an error.
If you think about our pack once Scott, weyman and young at back I couldnt put greenfield in my top 17. Cuthbo or bosden for me. Anyone agree?

Cooper-Man

Bench
i havent seen much impact from him yet. I made the comment after last weeks loss.

I think we need a punch of the bench and cuthbo or jack could be that person.

Cuthburtson has lost a heap of the pork he put on at Cronulla just looking at him on Sunday. And he has gotten rid of the colour co-ordinated headgear too.

Jono1987

Juniors
It is only early but yeah I do think there is some pressure on Greenfield at the moment. I'm not even sure what position he is coming on and playing, looks like he goes on defends in a second row position...anyone know? I thought Gower and Cuthbo were both impressive. I think Gower got the hook though late in the game for two errors. I actually think Green probably played his best game too. Perhaps Gower starting ahead of him fired up the big red head. Cuthbo played aggressive and looked fit. I'm guessing that Greenfield will hold off Cuthbo this week against the Knights.

Mattfaz

Juniors
I have a big wrap on JB. Hits the line hard and that's what we need, aggression. Haven't been impressed with Jon Green or Greenfield. When you get given the first crack at the vacant postitions need to show you want it.

Sign Merrin till 2020.

Mattfaz

Juniors
I have a big wrap on JB. Hits the line hard and that's what we need, aggression. Haven't been impressed with Jon Green or Greenfield. When you get given the first crack at the vacant postitions need to show you want it.

Sign Merrin till 2020.

Collateral

Coach
Give him time. Its his first real crack at first grade without any injuries and he has had long layoffs in between. I think he would be putting pressure on the starters next season if he see's regular game time this year.

Mattfaz

Juniors
He had massive wraps coming through the junior ranks.

Tariq Sims showing his older bro up. Absolute carve up now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Haven't been impressed with Jon Green or Greenfield.
Works in progress I guess. Green does possess a pretty good defensive hit. Just needs to hone it.
Mattfaz said:
Sign Merrin till 2020.
Absolutely. Been a fan for a while now. Wait till his offloads are perfected.

Welcome to the forum Mattfaz. :thumn

Godz Illa

Coach
I've been a fan of Greenfield for a while, since his early days with Souths, and even I will admit his form has not been compelling early this year, with his noted offloading ability often poorly used. He's thrown some shockers. However in his defence, he appears to be adapting to a hybrid backrow/front rower role, and also seems to be focusing on and spending more energy on his defence. Plus he did do the hard slog last year in Shellharbour and perhaps Wayne is showing him some patience, letting him feel his way back in to the weekly grind.

Bring back choc

Juniors
I can see your point.
I still think we need to field our best team each week that will give us the best chance of winning. I am not sure many would argue when I say greenfield, at the moment, is giving us that best chance.

But in saying that its hard to argue with wayne Bennett!! So who knows!

watatank

Coach
Greenfield is a good player, just needs game time. I think it's great that Bennett is giving him time in good faith, much like he has done with Prior at times.

I don't like greenfield. He played for Ingleburn as a kid, in magpies heartland so enough said haha.
I really think we are a victim of the salary cap working. We can't possibly replace the toughness we have lost. We just have to do our best without it. In saying that, i don't see first grade potential in Green or Greenfield. I would prefer to have Young playing permanent back row and Stanley as our replacement hooker. Chuck Cuthbertson or Bosden in the other position. I guess over the course of the season its inevitable that we will see more of the 'Greens'.

Last edited:

Tim Smith

Juniors
"Perhaps some time in the NSW cup for greenfield.
Might harden him up."

The trouble is we don't have an affiliate team in the NSW Cup...our extra players are playing in the local Illawarra Carlton League...can anyone enlighten us on how our fringe players are going in that league and will it actually be a comp that will have our second tier players ready to fill in?

Mattfaz

Juniors
Stanley needs more game time in the back line. Centre, 5/8, lock?
Don't want home becoming another 'victim of the cap' due to limited oppotunity.

I.e. J. Morris.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade
We have so many options in the forwards it's best not to worry about it. Whoever get's selected will have a go. There is going to be a lot of pressure for those last couple of spots on the bench ensuring everyone is motivated.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'd rather Cuthbertson at this stage - I get the impression Bennett is protecting Bosden.

On Cuthbertson; I can't believe how much weight he's lost. Barely recognised him.