What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pricey

Elias1983

Coach
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to get everyone's thought on how you think Steve Price is going so far?

I personally think he has had a solid start with 5 wins out of the first 8 games. I think the players respect him and is red and white through and through.

Listening to his press conferences he has a very Dean young type of pride in the club and I reckon in a couple of years he will develop into a classy coach!

He seems very confident in his ideas, a big plus is we know he knows how to develop talent!

Your thoughts?

Fire

First Grade
He's doing solid in my opinion.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I don't think he will ever lose the respect of the senior playing group.

It's a cut-throat business NRL coaching. He will go through a 'slump' eventually and we just have to hang tough with him and not bring the knives out when it happens.

Anyways, I really like his attitude. Very level headed and a grown man, not a drama queen like Brian Smith, Ricky Stuart, etc.

st.phil

Bench
I'm happy - intelligent and a real Saints man. Knows the club, culture and players inside out. Tactically he's not moving the ship to far from the Bennett course just as yet but I think he is more attack orientated than Bennett and we'll see that eventually. Big question mark for mine was whether he can attract top class players - particularly after Moltzen bailed. However early signs are good - players are re-signing and very talented Beale on board so all signs point to yes.

Tim Smith

Juniors
I think he has done a very good job considering the pre season perception of many that Bennett's loss equaled our spiralling out of the semis. There were very few people who nominated us for top 8 finish. To have us in the top 4 one third into the season is a great result, with less Origin destabilization this year ahead.
One thing I am not too impressed about him is his belief in naming a ficticious team on Tuesdays...love it if he'd just pick the side and leave the ducks and drakes to others. I am looking forward to see who runs out against the Cowboys, not necessarily who is selected. Hopefully DeBelin's one week with the Cutters sees him back in the top 17...that tackle on Thaiday was the tackle of the year and would love to see him tackle Thurston similarly.

Father Ted

First Grade
He's going very well imo although Not a fan of playing backrowers as centres . Makes me wonder whats wrong with Green etc . But all up a solid 7.5 out of 10 for the new coach.. I believe we will get into the semis fairly easily under him this year.

Bring back choc

Juniors
He's done well thus far. The concern will be whether he can attract good players. We are about to lose A LOT of experience (basically our senior playing group). These blokes have really helped prices transition to first grade coach. I think the culture set up by Wayne Bennett has obviously helped.
But as I said, recruitment will be key in his success. Let's see if he can jag someone big. I think we need a backrower as matter or priority. There are no half backs other tha thurston (who would never come) that would be worth forking out for. Losing Scott and young from the pack is a big loss.

64 Dragon

Coach
I'm happy - intelligent and a real Saints man. Knows the club, culture and players inside out. Tactically he's not moving the ship to far from the Bennett course just as yet but I think he is more attack orientated than Bennett and we'll see that eventually. Big question mark for mine was whether he can attract top class players - particularly after Moltzen bailed. However early signs are good - players are re-signing and very talented Beale on board so all signs point to yes.

"Very talented Beale"? We will see about that!

Mr Red

First Grade
has done a lot of good and not so good things so far in my opinion:

good:
- the forwards as a whole has a bit more mongrel about them this season. players like DeBelin and Rein have added a bit of agro and Dan Hunt seems to have a bit more mongrel compared to previous years.. this could be more Steve Folkes doing though???
- admitted very quickly the stanley at fullback gamble wasnt working and fixed it quickly rather than having it drag on all season.
- recruitment of Daniel Vidot and re-signing of key players already this season indicates players currently have faith in him

bad:
- persisting with back rowers in the centres
- some dubious recruitment in Leeson Ah Mau and Gerard Beale for next season, whilst still not solving the future half back problem.
- atttacking disjointed
- Soward loss of confidence and down on form

overall i giev Price so far a solid 6.5/10 - we are travelling a lot better then a lot of teams, however still well off the pace when it comes to brisbane and melbourne...

RedVDave

First Grade
He's going very well imo although Not a fan of playing backrowers as centres . Makes me wonder whats wrong with Green etc . But all up a solid 7.5 out of 10 for the new coach.. I believe we will get into the semis fairly easily under him this year.

From what I understand the reason Green has not played in the centres when injuries have occured is because he was meant to play in the Under 20's SOO but withdraw to injury so perhaps that's still affecting him/does not want to risk him.

Minh

First Grade
He has done very well, it's not easy to take over from Wayne Bennett, he has fresh ideas and plenty of respect from his players. His recruitment of players has been very good IMO he has a good eye for talent and has strengthened the team in the right areas with some tough forwards and talented outside backs that don't break the bank either, a solid 8 out of 10 for mine.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Thumbs up from me :thumn

A very tough ask for Pricey to step up after the Bennett tenure and he has been fantastic. We are a work in progress but the spirit is still among the players and that is the most important ingredient. As a supporter, I just want to watch my team put in a good effort every week because that is all you can ask of them. So far they have been keeping their end of the bargain!

TruSaint

Referee
Very happy thus far. Appears to be trying a few different things in attack, some are yet to gel. As a coach he seems level headed, well spoken and a real Dragons man. I think he will only get better, as time goes on.

TheRev

First Grade
Too early for me to judge, were not playing great, not playing poorly, but he only had the reigns for 2 months.

I think he's doing a great job in what was always going to be a tough act to follow.

Not sure how he can be criticised for the 'backrowers in the centres' thing when Bennett also played Scott, Prior and Costigan there out of necessity at various stages over his 3 seasons.

Clearly if there were better options, he'd be using them. Green is probably considered too "green" at this stage. And Coops and the Stanleys have been injured.

TheRev

First Grade
The Backrower Centre club is definitely something Bennett started, and perhaps a deliberate ploy to win the forward battle.

But I think most of us just want to see a genuine back given an opportunity, we have some spares in our salary cap, see if someone grabs their chance..

RedVDave

First Grade
I have always rated Pricey very highly and we have had a very good start to the season a little better that I had anticpated, with that being said though I think next season will be a bigger challenge for him with Young and possibly Hornbys retirement (though I really hope he stays on another year) plus next year I think there will be more expection from the media/TAB and fans, it's all early days though.