What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prior

Reyter

Juniors
Very true and if Wayne didn't already know it he certainly does now and is trying his darnest to rectify the dismal roster he has up there. I have been keeping a close eye on the knights so far this season as I guess most of us have been. I have noticed that they are no where near what we were at the same stage under Bennett. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing anything different so that only leaves the players and their committment and abilities. It says a lot for our boys!!!

Which Dragons supporter gives a f##k how Bennett does at Newcastle? As long as they don't beat the Dragons but that looks unlikely anytime soon.

DragonBuck

Juniors
Which Dragons supporter gives a f##k how Bennett does at Newcastle? As long as they don't beat the Dragons but that looks unlikely anytime soon.

This Dragon fan.
Why wouldn't I be interested in how the progress of the coach that helped us win a premiership 2 seasons ago is going? I'm very interested to see how long it takes them to adjust to Wayne's style of play. Why? Because it tells me a lot about our squad. We seemed to adjust very easily to his style and guys like horse, who I thought would struggle with the dicipline, have flourished. It says a lot about his character.What I've noticed so far is that they(knights) seem to be struggling big time and it's becoming pretty evident that Wayne knows it too, hence his trying to raid our squad.
I agree that they don't look like beating us any time soon. I think they were lucky to get so close to us in Rd1.

Reyter

Juniors
This Dragon fan.
Why wouldn't I be interested in how the progress of the coach that helped us win a premiership 2 seasons ago is going? I'm very interested to see how long it takes them to adjust to Wayne's style of play. Why? Because it tells me a lot about our squad. We seemed to adjust very easily to his style and guys like horse, who I thought would struggle with the dicipline, have flourished. It says a lot about his character.What I've noticed so far is that they(knights) seem to be struggling big time and it's becoming pretty evident that Wayne knows it too, hence his trying to raid our squad.
I agree that they don't look like beating us any time soon. I think they were lucky to get so close to us in Rd1.

You will learn far more about the Dragons squad by seeing them win no matter what Newcastle and Bennett are doing. Personally I think his success is far more due to what a disaster Nathan Brown was as a coach.

Minh

First Grade
You will learn far more about the Dragons squad by seeing them win no matter what Newcastle and Bennett are doing. Personally I think his success is far more due to what a disaster Nathan Brown was as a coach.

Nathan Brown did a good job, Wayne Bennett said as much.

watatank

Coach
or perhaps that much of his success was because Brown did a much better job than most are willing to give him credit for

DragonBuck

Juniors

Am I missing something? How is this post related to my post? For the record, I believe you learn more from seeing them lose, but I made no reference to what you could learn from a win or loss. I'm not even sure why you mentioned Brown.

DragonBuck

Juniors
The relationship is" PRIOR to Bennett , Brown was the coach".

Haha nice work but still not sure why Brown was mentioned. While we are talking about Brown, I feel sorry for him. I watched quite a few of his games as coach of the flegg side and thought he did a great job with them. I was always of the opinion that he was thrown in the deep end as a first grade coach. He looks to be doing well in the UK.

Father Ted

First Grade
Agreed Brown was made coach too early I think . Would be great for him if he won the superleague.

Reyter

Juniors
Haha nice work but still not sure why Brown was mentioned. While we are talking about Brown, I feel sorry for him. I watched quite a few of his games as coach of the flegg side and thought he did a great job with them. I was always of the opinion that he was thrown in the deep end as a first grade coach. He looks to be doing well in the UK.

I agree. He should have been looking to become head coach about now. Having said that, I hope and very much doubt he will come back to the Dragons as head coach. I was also filthy about Barrett during Brown's time but it's Brown's fault for sticking by him. Something was seriously wrong when most of the touches Gasnier and Cooper got was when running from dummy half. Anyway, that's really off topic.

As long as they don't beat the Dragons, I don't care what happens to Newcastle and Bennett. I would prefer they do badly. I'm tired of Dragons supports giving him so much credit for the win in 2010. I believe it isn't that he was so good but more that Brown was very bad. The Dragons should have win 3 or 4 in the last 10 years.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Reyter; You have to give Bennett a whole heap of credit, jesus man. He turned our club from a freaking basket case into a formidible defensive winning machine. He turned the joint upside down and got us a premiership that everyone involved in the club craved.

As for the quality of the stock avaliable to him, the 2010 team was probably the least talented side he'd ever guided to a Premiership - hence his defensive, methodical structure that bore results. He was able to gell the squad to perform as he required. Did you see him during the GF??, he just sat there and watched, he'd given the players the recipe, they just had to cook it.

I doubt any coach in the game could have come along and won a Premiership in 2 seasons, other than Wayne Bennett.

Big Norm

BigNormProvan

Juniors
ps; and as for Brown being a poor coach, I don't think so. He was handed the top job too early. He didn't have a reputation, he was young, he was still sort of one of the boys. Browny was like the poor casual teacher that gets a class when the teacher is sick, no one really takes them overly seriously, there are no great repecussions. In walks Bennett with his reputation and resume, and every kid is sitting up straight and looking at the blackboard, hoping to hell they don't upset the boss, so they do everything he asks and a little more.

Browny needed to be taking the top job now, not then.

Big Norm

RedVDave

First Grade
Very harsh BBC Prior was very good tonight

I don't understand your vendetta against Prior I mean sure he is not the best player going around and yes he has a mistake or two in him but it's not like he is on $550, 000 a year.

He has a very good workload and can cover a few positions I mean look at some of the woeful second rowers/props we have had in the past and honestly tell me you would take them over Prior:

-Aaron Wheatley
-Andrew Price
-Corey Payne
-Jon Green
-Luke Felsch
-Sam Isemonger
-Nathan Long
-Wade Forrester
-Lee Te Maari
-Andre Hart
-Justin Poore
-Jason Ryles
-Ricky Thorby
-Ryan Powell
-Michael Howell
-Chris Leikvoll
-Ashton Sims
-Michael Greenfield
-Terry Lamey
-Craig Stapleton
-Justin Smith

The Nick

Bench
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest Prior shagged BBC's Missus and/or mother. Nothing else would justify his unwavering criticism.

Reyter

Juniors
Reyter; You have to give Bennett a whole heap of credit, jesus man. He turned our club from a freaking basket case into a formidible defensive winning machine. He turned the joint upside down and got us a premiership that everyone involved in the club craved.

As for the quality of the stock avaliable to him, the 2010 team was probably the least talented side he'd ever guided to a Premiership - hence his defensive, methodical structure that bore results. He was able to gell the squad to perform as he required. Did you see him during the GF??, he just sat there and watched, he'd given the players the recipe, they just had to cook it.

I doubt any coach in the game could have come along and won a Premiership in 2 seasons, other than Wayne Bennett.

Big Norm

Yes, he inherited a basket-case from Nathan Brown. That is my point.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Reuter and big norm...the truth is in the middle. Bennett has publicly stated that he didn't inherit a basket case! So Brown wasn't that bad (got the job too early) and Bennett isn't superman. Bennett did a great job but he had the opportunities to succeed because the the club was in a strong position. Our premiership in 2010 is bigger than Wayne Bennett. There were 17 players on the field every week. Droves of red v supporters at every match and lots of work behind the scenes to bring the dream to fruition!