What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Promotion and Relegation!

tri_colours

Juniors
I am absolutely pumped for the day when in 5 years straight the NRL loses NZ, Brisbane, North Queensland, Canberra and Newcastle to relegation and they've been replaced by Newtown, Norths Devils, Mounties, Kalgoorlie & Universities.

Just read the headlines? yeah, My father used to do that to Jim.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Recruiters have chats over coffee with potential sinnings for next year all the time. There is no reason a 2nd tier teams couldn't do this also, only on a proviso basis. " If we make the top division...."

And if they did get into the top tier they would have plenty of room under a salary cap, a cap thats had gone from 3or4m to 13m. Allowing them to buy many of the best players on the market.
The NRL has never had any problems in changing a rule particularly if it’s in there best interest

The second tier players wouldn’t be that weak. Most would have already played in the NRL. (The weakest of the top 17) or young up and comers.

So are you saying that Perth/ Western Australia/ Adelaide/ Brisbane Bombers etc wouldn't have fans that would take out subscriptions?

that’s not how the world of p&r works, top players don’t sit around until October in the hope that they will have a contract with a possibly promoted club! It’s hard enough if you’re a relegation threatened club to sign decent players every year as players want certainty. Hence why in SL the same teams sit at the top every year whilst the lower teams struggle to consistently achieve those heights.

I’m saying the majority of RL fans in those areas, like me, will already have Fox for the nrl. Your talking about developing an entirely new fan base that are not already watching nrl. It’s unrealistic.

tri_colours

Juniors
that’s not how the world of p&r works, top players don’t sit around until October in the hope that they will have a contract with a possibly promoted club! It’s hard enough if you’re a relegation threatened club to sign decent players every year as players want certainty. Hence why in SL the same teams sit at the top every year whilst the lower teams struggle to consistently achieve those heights.

I’m saying the majority of RL fans in those areas, like me, will already have Fox for the nrl. Your talking about developing an entirely new fan base that are not already watching nrl. It’s unrealistic.

What you mean is, its not how the regular P/R works .

P/R means teams get promoted and some get relegated! How is not set in concrete

And players, due off contract, or even some that are still on contracted will be approached by, say Perth ,if they are a chance, or even consider themselves a chance of getting into the NRL. They can approach player x , sometime during the season and make an offer 'we will give you 2million over 3 years on the provision that we get into the NRL( tier1).

The sides that goes through will be able to sign up many of the best players because there cap has suddenly gone from about 3m to 9.5m. They would have been offered other contracts but would only accept the one from the team that gets into the top tier. He may chose to accept a contract with a team already in the top tier. But it would almost certainly be for less money .

Perth , Adelaide and to a lesser extend Qld take up levels on Fox are low. That is primarily because Perth/Adelaide games in AFL are all shown on FTA. So there is a market there!

If teams are kicked out of the comp , no longer shown on tele and no hope of ever getting back into the NRL then Fox would loose many subscriptions.

The reason that promotion and relegation works in English football, especially the English Premier League (EPL) is due to "parachute" and "solidarity" payments.

If a club is relegated from the Premier League, they are given a "parachute" payment for three seasons after relegation which is equal to around half of the per club "TV basic money" given to each EPL club in season one, falling down to around 20% in season three. This was done so as to help relegated clubs stave off going insolvent or into administration.

However, recognising that parachute payments could distort the EFL Championship (which is the next division down from the EPL), the EPL gives a solidarity payment of a few million pounds (sterling) to each of the other EFL clubs. The amount is linked to a % of the TV rights deal.

This brief article gives you an idea of the amounts involved - https://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/premier-league-parachute-payment/

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
It won’t work here as any club that gets promoted won’t have the player talent to perform. They will get relegated the next year, without a doubt

Perth Red

Post Whore
What you mean is, its not how the regular P/R works .

P/R means teams get promoted and some get relegated! How is not set in concrete

And players, due off contract, or even some that are still on contracted will be approached by, say Perth ,if they are a chance, or even consider themselves a chance of getting into the NRL. They can approach player x , sometime during the season and make an offer 'we will give you 2million over 3 years on the provision that we get into the NRL( tier1).

The sides that goes through will be able to sign up many of the best players because there cap has suddenly gone from about 3m to 9.5m. They would have been offered other contracts but would only accept the one from the team that gets into the top tier. He may chose to accept a contract with a team already in the top tier. But it would almost certainly be for less money .

Perth , Adelaide and to a lesser extend Qld take up levels on Fox are low. That is primarily because Perth/Adelaide games in AFL are all shown on FTA. So there is a market there!

If teams are kicked out of the comp , no longer shown on tele and no hope of ever getting back into the NRL then Fox would loose many subscriptions.

no decent player is going to stay off contract until October to wait and see. Your kidding yourself if you think they will.

tri_colours

Juniors
no decent player is going to stay off contract until October to wait and see. Your kidding yourself if you think they will.

Most of the players (best) have there future sorted out well before the end of the season . Matter of fact Tedesco and Crighton, two players I would describe as decent. would have both been on the on Roosters books 12months before. So who is kidding themselves?

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Many sports around the world have this , so how can you be so certain?

Our population is too small especially when you consider the dispersment of sporting talent between the various codes

if Newton got promoted this year where would they get their players from for next season?

contracts, as we are seeing, are often done 2 years or more in advance. They couldn’t possibly have a competitive squad next year

tri_colours

Juniors
Our population is too small especially when you consider the dispersment of sporting talent between the various codes

if Newton got promoted this year where would they get their players from for next season?

contracts, as we are seeing, are often done 2 years or more in advance. They couldn’t possibly have a competitive squad next year

Only clubs up for promotion would be involved eg, Perth, Brisbane2, current NRL sides , Fiji maybe even a second Toronto side. And the team that got through would have $6million and the last 12 months to buy a good team.

There shown on TV, have a good size following and strong backers.

Last edited:

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Only clubs up for promotion would be involved eg, Perth, Brisbane2, current NRL sides , Fiji maybe even a second Toronto side. And the team that got through would have $6million and the last 12 months to buy a good team.

There shown on TV, have a good size following and strong backers.

that doesn’t sound like promotion & relegation as I see it

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most of the players (best) have there future sorted out well before the end of the season . Matter of fact Tedesco and Crighton, two players I would describe as decent. would have both been on the on Roosters books 12months before. So who is kidding themselves?

you’ve just proved my point lol, this is why promotion doesn’t work, there is no talent left for the promoted club to sign by the time they know they are going up. Players arent going to sign for a club unless they know they are promoted and by then theyve taken up an offer elsewhere, trust me I see it every year in SL! Just look at the quality of signings of any promoted club in the last 5 Years for all the evidence you need. P&R does not work on multiple levels and the codes that still use it around the world are generally doing it more for tradition than any positive outcome for the sport.

tri_colours

Juniors
you’ve just proved my point lol, this is why promotion doesn’t work, there is no talent left for the promoted club to sign by the time they know they are going up. Players arent going to sign for a club unless they know they are promoted and by then theyve taken up an offer elsewhere, trust me I see it every year in SL! Just look at the quality of signings of any promoted club in the last 5 Years for all the evidence you need. P&R does not work on multiple levels and the codes that still use it around the world are generally doing it more for tradition than any positive outcome for the sport.
\

You went on and on about promoted teams not being able to sign players until October. You were shown that that wasn't the case, but now your saying that it somehow proves your point.:confused:

A player or his manager is more than capable of choosing between multiple offers.

Just a small sample of some of the players that could of been approached with superior offers , - Koroisau, Mau Mau, Kata, Maloney, Kikau , Brailey, Feki , Ramian

tri_colours

Juniors
Promoted from what competition?

Teams in the 2nd tier trying to get into the NRL. Basically a pathway for the current teams trying to get into the NRL Perth, Brisbane 2 , PNG, Regional Qld, Sides already ready relegated, Adelaide etc. and who knows maybe even a toronto2 or us/uk team one day.

Perth Red

Post Whore
\

You went on and on about promoted teams not being able to sign players until October. You were shown that that wasn't the case, but now your saying that it somehow proves your point.:confused:

A player or his manager is more than capable of choosing between multiple offers.

Just a small sample of some of the players that could of been approached with superior offers , - Koroisau, Mau Mau, Kata, Maloney, Kikau , Brailey, Feki , Ramian

dwry me, it’s not hard to understand!
a player with a guaranteed nrl offer on the table in June isn’t going to hang around until October to see if the other offer from the promotion hopefuls is still available. By then other nrl teams have filled their caps and he would likely get a lower deal if the team isn’t promoted. It’s too big a risk.
Like I said this isnt a hypothetical, it happens every season in SL!

maloney aside non of them players are what you would call top class, far from it. There’s a reason they aren’t in the nrl next season!

tri_colours

Juniors
dwry me, it’s not hard to understand!
a player with a guaranteed nrl offer on the table in June isn’t going to hang around until October to see if the other offer from the promotion hopefuls is still available. By then other nrl teams have filled their caps and he would likely get a lower deal if the team isn’t promoted. It’s too big a risk.
Like I said this isnt a hypothetical, it happens every season in SL!

maloney aside non of them players are what you would call top class, far from it. There’s a reason they aren’t in the nrl next season!

Is there any reason why a player couldn't consider his options before signning? If that is to difficult they nearly all have managers to guide them.

That was just a portion of the players,I hear Valentine Holmes and David Fiffita are also looking for new clubs.

Also Super League's salary cap is only 2m pound. Meaning 2nd tier sides would already be strong. It wouldn't take a great deal to make the promoted sides one of the strongest sides in the NRL.

Last edited: