What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proteins/Powders

aqua_duck

Coach
Btw doesn't matter how big your piece of steak for tea is, your body can only absorb about 150g worth of it

Back on topic Cytosport for me. Before and after a work out and one in the arvo to tie me over til dindins. Works a treat.

I had a huge gain after a light cycle of creatine, have since cut it all off again though due to crossfitness and switching up the way I train with weights.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Btw doesn't matter how big your piece of steak for tea is, your body can only absorb about 150g worth of it

your body can only absorb roughly 50g of protein per sitting, which is roughly a 2-3 hour period. Although it depends on the person.

Eating 150g of protein in one meal is a waste

aqua_duck

Coach
your body can only absorb roughly 50g of protein per sitting, which is roughly a 2-3 hour period. Although it depends on the person.

Eating 150g of protein in one meal is a waste

I didn't mean 150g worth of protein, I meant for example you have a 400g steak, only 150g of that steak is absorbed

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
http://www.bulknutrients.com.au/ are about the cheapest I've seen, me and a bunch of mates all order from them. Really the differences between WPI/WPC and all the other bs that people claim to put into their supplements are pretty trivial and mostly marketing fluff. As long as you're following a good training schedule and diet, the brand of powder that you use isn't going to make much difference. Certainly not enough to justify spending stupid money on the more expensive ones.

abpanther

Staff member
I have a question regarding protein powder, I always thought you only take it after a workout but ive now been told I should drink one every day.

What do you all think?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I have a question regarding protein powder, I always thought you only take it after a workout but ive now been told I should drink one every day.

What do you all think?

It depends on your overall protein intake and workload. Generally speaking you need as many protein shakes per day as it takes to satisfy whatever daily protein requirements you haven't already met with other foods. For example I try to eat 200g of protein per day, thats probably a bit more than I need but a little extra doesn't hurt. I'm also trying to keep my total intake to somewhere around or under 2000 calories a day, which means I can't just go nuts on protein-rich foods willy nilly.
So I'll usually have 2-3 shakes a day as well as some meat at lunch and dinner. If you're not specifically trying to gain mass or training hard for sport though you prolly don't need as much (it's also relative to bodyweight, at 106kg I need more fuel as a baseline).
If you don't get sucked into the fancy branded overpriced supplements with fancy additives that do sweet f**k-all and stick to basic WPC and/or WPI, it's actually a relatively cheap way to get enough protein, certainly cheaper than eating steak every night. A 20kg bag of Bulk Nutrients WPC is $270, and that should last you the best part of a year. WPI is a bit pricier, but it's only really advantageous over WPC post-workout as it absorbs faster.

abpanther

Staff member
Thanks for the info.

Well im 96kg at the moment training 3 days a week, I wanna lose a few kilos but my main goal is to tone up and put on some muscle. Some do you still need to reach those protein targets on days youre not training or is that solely for training days? How does getting protein on your days off help? Does it help recovery and still help growth the day after training?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It's most important on training days, but you still need adequate protein on recovery days cause your body is building muscle as it recovers. The standard bodybuilding intake is 1.8-2.2g of protein per kg of bodyweight assuming average bodyfat, I'm 106kg but I'm carrying a few extra kg so I just round it down to 200g (100x2.0).

Anyone on any decent sort of diet gets enough protein every day. If you are having tuna/chicken/beef every day all you really need is a protein shake post workout. All the protein your body can't absorb is just extra calories that you will turn into fat.

Some people smash the protein shakes to try and bulk up, but all they are going to do is put on some fat. There is no need to have a shake other than post workout unless it is for meal replacement. The only time you want your protein to absorb quickly is post workout, hence the shake. All your other protein should be from food.

But if you are happy smashing the shakes and giving those supplement companies your good hard earned money, go for it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Anyone on any decent sort of diet gets enough protein every day. If you are having tuna/chicken/beef every day all you really need is a protein shake post workout. All the protein your body can't absorb is just extra calories that you will turn into fat.

Some people smash the protein shakes to try and bulk up, but all they are going to do is put on some fat. There is no need to have a shake other than post workout unless it is for meal replacement. The only time you want your protein to absorb quickly is post workout, hence the shake. All your other protein should be from food.

But if you are happy smashing the shakes and giving those supplement companies your good hard earned money, go for it.

Not necessarily. Ideally you'd get all your protein from natural sources, but if you're training hard you need a fair bit of it and it can get pretty expensive, especially if you are also trying to keep you total calories down. If you buy basic protein in bulk and don't into the expensive fancy brand stuff it's actually a pretty cheap, lean and convenient source of protein, certainly cheaper and easier than eating steak or chicken breast 3 times a day. I probably get 1/2 to 2/3 of my daily protein intake form natural sources and make the rest up with WPC.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Also, if you're on a low carb diet your body starts to use protein for energy as well as repairing muscles. This means you need extra protein.

Geohood

Bench
How's this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4KG-PURE...t=AU_Exercise_Accessories&hash=item2eb7e20364

I'm thinking of getting 1kg of it first to see how it tastes... If it tastes awful (with milk) what's good to put with it just to make it bearable? Right now I'm having a GNC Mass Gainer that's loaded with sugar which makes it taste nice but probably isn't the best for me.

Also since it's under 200 calories, and no carbs, it wouldn't be enough to have either as a meal replacement or straight after a workout so what's the best thing to eat with it?.. particularly after a workout, since it would already give enough protein?

dogslife

Coach
I've tried the whey isolate from that manufacturer. Hasn't really got a taste at all. If you drink it with milk, you can tell there's something else in the milk, but it's barely noticeable

I've been making my own shakes for the last couple of weeks using egg whites, milk/almond milk and anything else I care to throw in. Working for me

aqua_duck

Coach
Cytogainer from Cytosport for the win.
2 scoops contains 27g protein, 37g carbs with only 4g of sugar and 2g of fat also has creatine and L-glutamine. I've got the choc mint one and it's actually pleasant to drink unlike every other mass gainer I've tried

Cliffhanger

Coach
All unflavoured WPC tastes the same. I mix WPC and WPI with water most of the time. It tastes like dirt. Just drink it fast and it's over. You don't buy protein powders for the taste.