What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD State of Origin Team 2009 Game 1

Dazzat

First Grade
Workmanlike pack ... with great impact from the bench. Queensland have the superior bench IMO.

abpanther

Staff member
Why? Stagg is hopeless in Origins, Johnson has been a key ingredient to us winning 3 series' in a row. Stagg is average.

Maybe. but QLD usually pick players on form and both Stagg and Parker are in much better form than Johnson at the moment.

We'll see

lockyno1

Post Whore
You clearly haven't seen him play this year, he's been brilliant.

I have seen him and TLL has been your best forward by a mile. You do not get picked when your side is being belted unless you have the runs on the board.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Johnson is much better than Parker. Parker is always good for 4-5 errors a game.
Parker has made 4 errors in 11 matches playing the full 80 mins every match. So there goes your "4-5 errors a game" theory. Johnson has made 3 errors in 10 matches and hasn't played fulll 80 minute games. What sets them apart is the penalty count. Johnson has given away 6 of them in 710 min of football while Parker has only conceded 4 in 880.

Johnson is a tackling machine and that is all. Parker offers far more in attack and gives up less errors and penalties.

catch22

Juniors
Maybe. but QLD usually pick players on form and both Stagg and Parker are in much better form than Johnson at the moment.

We'll see

no QLD don't usually pick on form - we pick the players who have shown can get the job done, and this has always been the case?

If QLD picked up form than they would of been swapping bowen and prince in a few seasons ago when the media and masses started their little bandwagon campaign. this is why QLD has a much better squad than NSW cos it's built around a core which stays the same.

lockyno1

Post Whore

We'll see

QLD have avoided picking players on form in this era, rather they have gone for the 17 players that did the job last year. Stagg was so ordinary the last time he played Origin!

catch22

Juniors
Parker has made 4 errors in 11 matches playing the full 80 mins every match. So there goes your "4-5 errors a game" theory. Johnson has made 3 errors in 10 matches and hasn't played fulll 80 minute games. What sets them apart is the penalty count. Johnson has given away 6 of them in 710 min of football while Parker has only conceded 4 in 880.

Johnson is a tackling machine and that is all. Parker offers far more in attack and gives up less errors and penalties.

Parker defends wider than Johnson, I think having Johnson in the middle looking after Farah and Gidley is the correct decision. Parker defends 4 in from the left, which would be with Thurston and Inglis. I think Harrison will be there who is very solid.

hellteam

First Grade
Can't beleive people want Parker in the side. He played a few years ago, went sh*t and we lost. Same goes with Stagg. Why the hell would we change a winning side?

abpanther

Staff member
no QLD don't usually pick on form - we pick the players who have shown can get the job done, and this has always been the case?

If QLD picked up form than they would of been swapping bowen and prince in a few seasons ago when the media and masses started their little bandwagon campaign. this is why QLD has a much better squad than NSW cos it's built around a core which stays the same.

Fair enough, still though Stagg or Parker may have offered a bit more than Johnson but I see your point.

lockyno1

Post Whore

I'd love to know the missed tackle rates..Johnson barely misses a tackle and is a key reason why we won last year. You will always give more penalties away when you are losing, I am betting Cam Smith has a higher penalty rate than Parker..

Paullyboy

Coach
Dallas Johnson is what being a Queenslander is all about. Full of heart, passion, puts in 100% every minute and get's the job done.

You blues will never understand that, all full of individuals only interested in money - and it shows come origin

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I'd love to know the missed tackle rates..
Parker has 25 to Joshnson's 15. As I said, Johnson is a tackling machine, but Parker offers much more in attack.
lockyno1 said:
Johnson barely misses a tackle and is a key reason why we won last year.
I'm not looking for Parker to replace Johnson, but he definitely deserves a spot.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
QLD have avoided picking players on form in this era, rather they have gone for the 17 players that did the job last year. Stagg was so ordinary the last time he played Origin!

f**k you're a spastic.

stagg was ordinary 4 years ago and you therefore assume he'd be ordinary if selected this time :crazy:

lockyer had a terrbile full test debut and look at him now, by your logic he should never have played for australia again

just because players did the job 12 or 24 months ago doesnt mean they can still do it. willie mason did the job for the blues several eyars ago by your geniused logic he should still be in the team

Pistol

Coach
predictable side

same as last year but for lockyer in for Prince

happy with that

my guess is they'll put thaiday to the bench and have Crocker in for him or Myles will start. other than that, maybe hunt for slater and that'll be it.

lockyno1

Post Whore
f**k you're a spastic.

stagg was ordinary 4 years ago and you therefore assume he'd be ordinary if selected this time :crazy:

lockyer had a terrbile full test debut and look at him now, by your logic he should never have played for australia again

just because players did the job 12 or 24 months ago doesnt mean they can still do it. willie mason did the job for the blues several eyars ago by your geniused logic he should still be in the team

Stagg is too similar to Johnson, and I'd rather Johnson as he has runs on the board. Stagg does not scream "pick me", he screams "solid at best", and that is exactly what he is, similar to Michael luck, very solid first graders, a peg below Origin level though