What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD team for Game 2

Maroon4life

Juniors
Haha oh dear, hope the maroons think the same way. Nsw can be much, much better and will be in the next two games. Plenty of pressure on qld now, life will be a lot tougher for jt against the Blues than it was against a woefully out of form dragons side last night.

They really can't. Their strength lies in their forwards and enthusiasm, both of which were pretty much perfect 10's. NSW backline, even on their best day won't match QLD's. If QLD forwards lift their game and match NSW QLD will win the game.

isaiah

Bench
Taylor's not an origin player, never was and may never be again. He needs to mature much more as a footballer under the right coach to be useful at origin level.

Shillington is not an origin player, too passive & has no presence on the field, he's only there because he's huge and you'd think he would be a good prop.

Wouldn't have an issue with replacing Shillington & Harrison with Lillyman & Papali.

I don't expect Mal to make any changes. He will give them a chance to redeem themselves after 3 weeks of media pressure and geeing themselves up after a crap game. We will know within the first 1-2 sets whether Mal's loyalty has worked on them though, if not it will be egg on his face with a sure defeat on home soil.

lillyman might have played himself OUT of an origin bench spot this evening, missing 8 tackles v the roosters

Hutty1986

Immortal
They really can't. Their strength lies in their forwards and enthusiasm, both of which were pretty much perfect 10's. NSW backline, even on their best day won't match QLD's. If QLD forwards lift their game and match NSW QLD will win the game.

So you don't think NSW can improve their ball control?

Apart from Pearce being utter sh*t, there's not all that much difference in class these days between the two backlines. Qld will have their hands full if B. Moz & Fergo get some more footy in good field position. Ditto NSW will need to be terrific defensively if/when GI moves to fullback (at least in attack) during game 2

qld aussie

Juniors
1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smiffy
10. Myles
11. Gillett (can play left or rite)
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. DCE
15. Shillington
16. Teo
17. Mcqueen (Front/back row)
18. Papali
Harrison gooone :crazy:

Last edited:

Maroon4life

Juniors
So you don't think NSW can improve their ball control?

Apart from Pearce being utter sh*t, there's not all that much difference in class these days between the two backlines. Qld will have their hands full if B. Moz & Fergo get some more footy in good field position. Ditto NSW will need to be terrific defensively if/when GI moves to fullback (at least in attack) during game 2

Well yeah both sides can improve their completion rates, unless you score a 100% completition rate you can always improve. I just think it was obvious right from the beginning NSW would win through their energy and dominant forward pack, i assume they will try and do the same again with more intensity, up to qld to match it & if they do they have the greater poteintial for points.

big hit!

Bench
As a NSWelshmen, this is the QLD team I wouldn't want to see picked:

FB - Slater
RW - Tate
RC - Hodges
LC - Inglis
LW - Boyd
FE - Thurston
HB - Cronk
AH - Smith
PF - Scott
PF - Myles
MF - Parker
RF - Thaiday
LF - T'eo
I - Hannant
I - Shillington
I - Papallii
I - Gillett/McQueen

The forwards and bench personnel can be swapped around. Anyway you look at it, the middle rotation would be a big one.

Thaiday, T'eo, Gillett/McQueen will hit the edges.

The QLD middle combo of Scott - Myles - Parker - Hannant - Shillington - Papallii will eventually grind down a smaller mobile unit which NSW will put up in Gallen - Woods - Bird - Watmough - Merrin - Fifita.

Considering the dominance of NSW in the first game and the distinct lack of go forward in the QLD middle, the blues still lost the 2nd half on the scoreboard and ended up being exposed around the ruck by guys like Hodges towards the back end. Should QLD end up getting more sets than NSW in this game, the blues smaller men will feel the 'physical' impact of that defensive work against bigger bodies.

If QLD pick that team, NSW will need another early jump on the scoreboard, penalties (which are harder to come by in away games), repeat sets, great kicking, and ultimately win the possession battle. Everything has to go NSW way. QLD can be in a position to bide their time.

Anything close to an even contest will be a win for QLD. Bigger bodies wear down smaller ones and eventually win those battles. It's what QLD have been able to do in the last 7 series.

Hench

Juniors
Shillington is not an origin player, too passive & has no presence on the field, he's only there because he's huge and you'd think he would be a good prop.

He's been in more on field punchups than most of the other QLD forwards combined.

Dazzat

First Grade
He's been in more on field punchups than most of the other QLD forwards combined.

Well he's obviously "punchy" then, because his hit-up figures are appalling. He's flat out making 5 metres per run, and he doesn't offer much in defence.

No great improvement in the weekend's game either, and I'd be happy if he was dropped. Martin Kennedy had a far better game and should be considered.

Knightmare

Coach
That's probably whats keeping Daley up at night. We were never really in the game but only lost by 8 points. Was probably the worst game I've seen from QLD since 2007.

So? Of the past 2 Origin series, only twice has a team won by more than 8, including NSW coming back from 24-0 down in Game 3 2011 to lose 34-24, having come back from 8-0 down in Game 2 to win 18-8.

Qld only got within 8 points of NSW in Game 1 this year because the Blues let them into the contest via poor ball control for 10 minutes. The Maroons looked rusty most of the game and I know JT wasn't 100% but they're hardly a one man team. I'd be surprised if Qld don't play better in Game 2, but NSW weren't quiet in saying they could have played a lot better as well...

ranga68

Juniors
After last night Hannatt and McGuire for shillington and Harrison both had big meters and good in defense. Hook and Sammy don't want either of them to play to keep the broncs strong during the origin period.
8 Scott
9 smith
10 Hannatt
11 Miles
12 Thiaday
13 Parker
int McGuire
Int Kennedy
int Gillet
int Teo / Mcqueen

Hench

Juniors
Courier Mail has

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Jonathon Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. David Shillington
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Corey Parker
13. Nate Myles

14. Matt Gillett
15. Ben Hannant
16. Ben Teo
17. Josh Papali

18. Chris McQueen

andrew057

First Grade
Courier Mail has

1. Billy Slater
2. Darius Boyd
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Brent Tate
6. Jonathon Thurston
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Matt Scott
9. Cameron Smith (c)
10. David Shillington
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Corey Parker
13. Nate Myles

14. Matt Gillett
15. Ben Hannant
16. Ben Teo
17. Josh Papali

18. Chris McQueen

Please be correct. That's the best team QLD can put on the field. It's spot on.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
After last night Hannatt and McGuire for shillington and Harrison both had big meters and good in defense. Hook and Sammy don't want either of them to play to keep the broncs strong during the origin period.
8 Scott
9 smith
10 Hannatt
11 Miles
12 Thiaday
13 Parker
int McGuire
Int Kennedy
int Gillet
int Teo / Mcqueen

He's not ready, and not required yet.

Dazzat

First Grade
Very surprised at the omission of Hannant. He was huge last night. The only reason is they may think he's underdone after a few weeks off. Otherwise, Hannant should have been chosen over Gillett.

andrew057

First Grade
Very surprised at the omission of Hannant. He was huge last night. The only reason is they may think he's underdone after a few weeks off. Otherwise, Hannant should have been chosen over Gillett.

Yep considering it's Kennedy 18th man.