What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD team for Game 2

NrlCoach

Juniors
I have a feelng you wont see many changes until they lose 2 series. but i hope they rechange couple of positions

1.Inglis
2/5. Edrick lee
7. DCE

14. matt srama time to bring in a hooker Smith is not going to be there long

Aragorn

First Grade
you need to beef up that ageing forward pack.

i think hodges, cronk and even smith made more yards than scott, myles, harrison and thaiday. And Parker, Teo, Gillet have the same playing style.

I suggest bringing back Taylor to give that pack a bit more grunt. & Lillyman whose done the job before.

Backline needs some youth. Drop Tate for Barba and consider DCE as sub.

NSW have got this.

Maroon4life

Juniors
If you want to play the blame game at least aim it where it's deserved.

The blues forwards made 938m to our 678m. Our best performer, Nate Myles, made 120m compared to the blues Gallen 187m and Lewis' 172m. Our concerns about the bench going in were justified as they really didn't make any impact when they came on. Shillington & Harrison were awful tonight and deserve alot of criticism. Harrison, who IMO is wearing one of if not his last QLD jersey should consider himself very lucky to get a shot at game 2.

The pack was lazy tonight, they relied too much on our backs to make meters for them.

Our backline over the past 7 years have stacked on tries when we've had a forward pack not afriad to dig in and work, this one tonight did not give a f**k.

Maroon4life

Juniors
I'll also add, Thurston won't be immune to any criticism until game 2 either. Got tonnes of love for JT but what he dished up tonight was bullshit. He should have pulled himself out because whatever was bothering him be it with virus or family issues he was a downright passenger. Easily his worst performance and he owes alot to his teammates for it.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think Inglis needs to start at fullback with Billy coming off the bench.

In any case I don't think it will matter much. NSW have a far superior forward pack, bigger, faster, stronger and more mobile. QLDs best forward was Parker ffs and there is no depth.

I'll also add, Thurston won't be immune to any criticism until game 2 either. Got tonnes of love for JT but what he dished up tonight was bullshit. He should have pulled himself out because whatever was bothering him be it with virus or family issues he was a downright passenger. Easily his worst performance and he owes alot to his teammates for it.
Which is why we will win game #2 at home by 10 IF JT is 100% fit.
When he got a little bit involved in the 2nd half we were the better team.

Mal should have made the hard decision yesterday to drop him & put DCE in .
It was 13 V 12 in the first half..Bad bad decision to let someone play who was unwell/injured .

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Tate
4. Hodges
5. Slater
6. Thurston - if fit.
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Shillington
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Hannant
16. Papalii
17. Teo

Parker is more than capable of playing well for 80 minutes, but even then Teo is able to fill in at lock while Papalii and Gillett can be used for impact and defensive starch, and Hannant comes on as a fresh prop 20 minutes in.

Tate has played centre many times before, as has Slater on the wing. Put simply, Inglis must play at fullback. Centre is just not enough input from the most dangerous player in the game right now. It has been said many times before, but the impact he can have when he is able to pop up on either side of the field, vs that which he can have just on the left is far greater.

icewind

Juniors
tbh, Slater and Smith just havn't seemed themselves this year for whatever reason. Unmotivated? lacklustre? Smith especially just seemed he doesn't care one way or another. Exactly the reason the same backline will play in g2. Perhaps the loss Qld had to have to spark them into action. I had a feeling even before the game that perhaps a loss isn't the worse thing in the world to happen.

Will have Kennedy and perhaps Hannant back for G2. Thurston should be over his personal shit. Game on!

Dazzat

First Grade
There's no use blaming the backs - Queensland lost the contest in the middle. Our yardage was ALWAYS going to be a problem due to our smaller forwards. Two things stood out for me during the game and borne out in the statistics.

Harrison needs to go. He offers neither size nor speed, and although a loyal servant, needs to be moved on. Parker to start and Hannant to come into the squad.

Shillington was very poor for a man of his size. He seems incapable of hitting the ball at speed. He either needs to start off the bench (Myles to start at front row) or replace him with Kennedy.

As much as it would be good to bring Papalli into the team, all of the bench played well so I can't see it happening unless there's injury.

Noa

First Grade
13. Parker
12. Thaiday - Struggling to think of his last good origin game
11. Mcqueen/Teo
10. Myles
09. Smith
08. Shillington

14. Kennedy
15. Papalli
16. Teo/Mcqueen
17. Hannant

18. Gillet - Wouldnt bother me if they went with him over McQueen. McQueen is slightly more versatile though.

gUt

Coach
Those calling for Slater's head might be going off a bit early. Statistically he was our best back, along with Hodges.

15 runs for 223 metres
4 tackle breaks
1 offload
1 line break
no errors or penalties.

Although this game was won and lost in the forwards the backs shouldn't escape some scrutiny.

Thurston should not have played. He has a groin strain, has a virus and has family on his mind. No state to be playing a game like Origin. As others have said when he mustered the energy to get involved it lifted the team.

Cronk's kicks weren't that bad really, but the team as a whole weren't able to get down and put any pressure on Hayne and Ferguson. However Cronk gave 2 penalties away. You'd rather your halfback didn't do this haha. Cronk's form has been pretty ordinary this year. When the Storm beat the Roosters it was Smith who assumed the main general kicker's role. I think Cronk needs to show the selectors he's up for game 2 or else DCE should get a run. He's in great form and he'd be hungry.

Boyd was quiet but he's a finisher at this level. It would be nice to think he could offer a little more when his team is on the back foot but his club form hasn't been fantastic either.

Inglis looked frustrated (2 penalties conceded) and once he started coming and looking for action and work we started to see the real player. I would move him to fullback not to punish Slater but to reward and encourage Inglis.

Hodges had his best game for 2013. Tried to get involved and showed leadership and spirit. It was great to see him lay on the individual brilliance that Brisbane rely on so much a couple of times.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Surprised some don't rate Gillett. Gun player imo. Adds something a bit different to a forward back a little too dominated by plodders. Is a fancy Dan ball-playing edge back-rower like him tarred with the "not right for Origin" brush?

clipser

Juniors
lol @ this thread. If going by last night's game the only changes we could possible see:

Hannant/Papalli instead of Harrison
Parker to start at lock

Noa

First Grade
Dont rate him much but Taylor will probably come into calculations.

Thinking about it some more McQueen is the way to go if they wont move Inglis. He's been great at knowing how to give Greg space for the bunnies and is very unselfish in his decoy running for GI.

I cant recall how QLD were lining up on there left edge plays but maybe the need to drop a man and go JT, MCqueen Inglis from the play the ball. Maybe have Slater popping up on the left more to keep the defence honest

The only thing missing last night was the steady roll forward of Civoneciva. We need someone to replace him to match the big Cockroaches. Then Cronk will have more time and establish a bit of rhythm. Everything went NSW way last night. It will be different at Suncorp.

Agree, replace Harrison with Papali or Taylor. Hannant's ok as well.

Last edited: