What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD team for Game 2

I would seriously consider Inglis to start at fullback in the first half to match the physicality. When NSW legs tire, in the second half, put Slater back at fullback for speed and footwork.

Noa

First Grade
I'm a roosters fan but Kennedy :lol: he's the 4th best prop in our team and you want him for origin :lol:

You could be right but QLD need beef.

Could probably pick Taylor instead but only as a replacement prop. He would either dog it or carve tiring NSW forwards up.

_Johnsy

Referee
Talk of taylor & kennedy, please pick them, please !!!!

FMD panic stations indeed.

beave

Coach
I thought the qld bench were damn good last night. Shame the run on team were pretty piss poor (the forwards im talking about). Slow and unenthusiastic, was pretty frustrating to watch.

_Johnsy

Referee
Plucky, just commenting on how some QLD'ers are desperate to drop people & bring in someone who's done nothing at origin and another player who isn't regarded as a starting prop for his club.

I'd say it's more cute how touchy some of you maroon fans are after losing a game. Has the selection loyalty disappeared ? Not coping well Fwanky.

Shorty

Staff member
Not all of us are flying off the handle.
We need more mongrel in the forwards but that's it, the team just needs a kick up the arse.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If I were in Mal's shoes and wanted to square it up:

Bring DCE onto the bench and rotate him off if Cronk's looking like he did last night.

Drop Parker (old and slow), McQueen (invisible), and start Papalii. Drop Shillington to the bench, he's better coming on after 20. Hannant should be fit in time for G2 as well.

Inglis to FB, Slater to wing, drop Tate (liability IMO).

1. GI
2. Slater
3. Hodges
4. Te'o
5. Boyd
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Papalii
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Gillett

14. DCE
15. Shillington
16. Harrison
17. Hannant

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Plucky, just commenting on how some QLD'ers are desperate to drop people & bring in someone who's done nothing at origin and another player who isn't regarded as a starting prop for his club.

I'd say it's more cute how touchy some of you maroon fans are after losing a game. Has the selection loyalty disappeared ? Not coping well Fwanky.

Most are coping quite well, only suggesting minor changes, and taking a lot of confidence out the way QLD played when they actually decided to play in the last 20 minutes.

It's just good to see you Blues fans starting to feel confident again after being down-trodden and sooky for so long.

Looking forward to games 2 and 3.

gUt

Coach
Parker >>>>> Harrison last night. Tate was fine too. Te'o to centre... yeah but nah.

Timmah

Staff member
Parker >>>>> Harrison last night. Tate was fine too. Te'o to centre... yeah but nah.
Gotta do something. Tate and Hodges were ordinary IMO - only time your outside men were threatening was the Boyd try (Inglis could've done that from FB anyway)... and then Slater's break when it was all too late in the 76th minute.

Shorty

Staff member
Hodges was ordinary? I didn't think so, sparked attack several times...and Tate has shown how good he is defensively.
Only changes needed are in the forward pack.

gUt

Coach
Gotta do something. Tate and Hodges were ordinary IMO - only time your outside men were threatening was the Boyd try (Inglis could've done that from FB anyway)... and then Slater's break when it was all too late in the 76th minute.

We were watching different games apparently.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Thurston's bad night can be laid at the feet of the coaching staff IMO - he clearly has AIDS or the plague right now.

:lol::lol::lol:

thurston shouldnt have played. i know he's a great player but he was clearly not right, and when he decides he cant kick because of injury the choice to play should have been taken away from him. i do wonder whether gary larsons record was playing on some peoples mind when keeping him in the team

Has the selection loyalty disappeared ? .

selection loyalty always goes out the window after a bad loss (for both teams). I think one of the key factors qld has had the "pick and stick" mentality is we dont have as many players to choose from.

i dont want to see mass changes, but someone like harrison needs to make way. he's always been a player who's been solid rather than anything spectacular, and when the team has a good forward pack around him he goes alright. but he really doesnt offer hell of a lot in attack and defensively other players liek parker are jsut as good.

the backline needs a bit of spark as well. slater and inglis can play in the same team, but the much speculated rotation of inglis to fullback never eventuated.

tate is an aggressive player but hasnt really played that well over the past few years. would blooding barba on the wing work or would it just waste a talent on the wing?

Mcqueen went well as did the whole becnh, but if you want to bring papalli in someone has to make way. it'd be gillett at this stage (although i'd be getting rid of shillo, always amazes me when he gets picked)

but it's all good to speculate but between now and game 2 there'll be injuries and suspensions which may make some decisions for us

Hutty1986

Immortal
Drop Parker? I thought he was great last night, and his offloads can be lethal. Will Hannant be fit for game 2?

Timmah

Staff member
Hannant's due back next (R14) weekend for the Bonkers. That said he doesn't play until after the team's chosen.

andrew057

First Grade
lol @ this thread. If going by last night's game the only changes we could possible see:

Hannant/Papalli instead of Harrison
Parker to start at lock

Yep Hannat and Papalli both in. Harrison and McQueen out. Parker start at lock.

Slater was good last night, no need to move him just need to get Inglis more involved.

legend

Coach
Qld just aren't as fast anymore. Besides Inglis, the rest of the Qld backline would be slower than every NSW outside back. Wehn Slater made a break, they rounded him up with ease. Hayne, Jennings and Morris had him covered at all times.

Slater's form (and speed) has dropped off immensely IMO. I think his knee injury from last year is still giving him trouble and the fact he is 30 means he no longer has breakaway speed that can be maintained over a long distance.

I would fear a Qld side with Inglis at fullback and Barba roaming than the side that took the field last night. I would also replace Harrison with Parker and Pap's onto the bench.