What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD team for Game 2

big hit!

Bench
You aren't short of props - Hannant is on his way back for Game II. You can afford to drop one.

Their winning strategy over the last few years has been the prop rotation.

They can't compete against NSW going small against small. NSW are superior here. The mobile forward plan is heavily dependent on winning the set count and is low percentage but this is where Daley believes his strength lay with the best players NSW can select. The kicking game of both teams last night was crucial here as NSW managed to win repeat sets for the first time in years.

Thaiday isn't a prop. I know he plays there for Brisbane but he's not a prop at this level. Needs to stay out on the right edge and maintain the strong combo he has with Hodges & Cronk. Lewis showed playing the same position for NSW that with select plays off the back of quick play the balls for hit ups, and also, 4th & 5th attacking plays, he can be effective here.

Considering series is still LIVE, I'd bring in Lillyman to round out the Scott-Shillo-Hannant 4 prop man rotation, keep Myles in the middle backrow forward role that he has played for QLD for ever and have him interchanged with Parker.

QLD strength has been through dominance with size, rolling through the middle and laying the platform for the backs to have that space to do their shit. This needs to be restored
Furthermore, the conventional forward game plan with bigger forwards can ultimately wear down a mobile strategy. It did last year. All comes down possession.

What I'd be worried about QLDers is the form of Scott. A shell of the world's best prop he has been in recent times. Shillo was average last night too so when you go into the game with the 2 main props playing shit, it's was always going to be difficult.

clipser

Juniors
Game 2 should be selected from the following.

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Hannant
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Parker

14. Shillington
15. McQueen
16. Papalii
17. Te'o
18. Gillett
19. DCE

I'd consider dropping Shillington and only consider DCE if thurston is injured

Aragorn

First Grade
Why? We forgetting all of a sudden that up until early this year Slater is considered to be the best fullback in the world? The only reason i could think of putting GI to fullback would be to improve our kick return which is something the blues have focused on over the last 2 series, smashing Slater with each and every return, from the 2nd minute to the 79th. But taking him out of there and putting him on the wing would diminish alot of our attacking potential which has been crucial to our success. GI is the leading try scorer for SOO & he's done it playing in the centres feeding off JT when hes given room. A big change to the team structure isn't needed, just a better forward pack.

i agree.

just need to beef up that forward pack and get a fit JT and she'll be right.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Hopefully Inglis moves to FB,gives us even more of a chance to smash him,got picked up and destroyed multiple times last night,good luck running back fatty

ranga68

Juniors
Qld need to get rid of Harrison and shillington and gillet.
Bring in McGuire Kennedy and Hannatt , will have more forward punch which will set a platform plus bleeding new props. Scot and shillo had no support and looked slow

Dazzat

First Grade
Agreed about Shillington and Harrison. I thought Gillett showed glimpses last night and could stay.

In hindsight Queensland were caught on the hop last night. That rushing defence in the first 10-15 minutes was amazing, but Queensland didn't adjust their play accordingly. As a result Scott, Shillington and Thaiday were made to look very bad.

They should have shifted the ball a lot more in the first two/three tackles rather than do what NSW had fully expected - continue playing as we have in the past when we've had props like Price, Civ and Webke.

Basically last night Queensland went in with a light weight pack, and tried to play like heavyweights. It was never going to work and was dumb.

Dogs Of War

Coach
On the game plan they put to Mal whether Josh Papalli was in consideration, he said not at this point, he wants to keep the same team for game 2.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
If you want to play the blame game at least aim it where it's deserved.

The blues forwards made 938m to our 678m. Our best performer, Nate Myles, made 120m compared to the blues Gallen 187m and Lewis' 172m. Our concerns about the bench going in were justified as they really didn't make any impact when they came on. Shillington & Harrison were awful tonight and deserve alot of criticism. Harrison, who IMO is wearing one of if not his last QLD jersey should consider himself very lucky to get a shot at game 2.

The pack was lazy tonight, they relied too much on our backs to make meters for them.

Our backline over the past 7 years have stacked on tries when we've had a forward pack not afriad to dig in and work, this one tonight did not give a f**k.

I don't want many changes, just a tweak with hannant coming in and a few positional moves.
Our forwards were pretty ordinary I agree.. Thaiday tried hard as did Myles & Parker.
In Harrison's defence he's been injured a lot this year & short of a gallop I reckon. I'm a huge fan but do think we need Parker in the run in side. Hannant must come in but not sure for who. Shillington had his worst game for us last night.

Last edited:

Maroon4life

Juniors
I don't want many changes, just a tweak with hannant coming in and a few positional moves.
Our forwards were pretty ordinary I agree.. Thaiday tried hard as did Myles & Parker.
In Harrison's defence he's been injured a lot this year & short of a gallop I reckon. I'm a huge fan but don't think we need Parker in the run in side. Hannant must come in but not sure for who. Shillington had his worst game for us last night.

Man honestly, with the amount of games Shillington has had he's delivered 1 good one.If we had 2 props waiting for a chance without a doubt he'd be gone, he's just not an origin player, he seems to struggle for ascendancy at club level as it is. But without blooding Kennedy or McGuire he's our only choice.

Harrison's been a great servant but i think like lockyer his time in this dynasty like team has come to a close. We have people that can do his job better than he is currently.

I'd like to see us play as:

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Hannant
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Lillyman
15. Shillington
16. Teo
17. McQueen (i think theres something to this guy, a better prospect than Gillett currently)

nontime111

Juniors
QLD are getting old...it really showed last night, Mals toooo loyal, time to bring in some changes or were gone! NSW are too young and quick! We need Barba, Cherry Evans off the bench also some new forward blood, Pappili and Anyone who can replace the pensioners, Parker, Tate, Harrison etc, just too old and boring players really....get onto it Mal or the run stops here please!

blaza88z

Coach
QLD are getting old...it really showed last night, Mals toooo loyal, time to bring in some changes or were gone! NSW are too young and quick! We need Barba, Cherry Evans off the bench also some new forward blood, Pappili and Anyone who can replace the pensioners, Parker, Tate, Harrison etc, just too old and boring players really....get onto it Mal or the run stops here please!

you're getting old too apparently

Meth

Staff member
Hannant in for Gillett.

As much as I hate Papalii, I do want to see him continue his battle with Gallen in Origin. Bring him in for Harrison.

Slater
Boyd
Inglis
Hodges
Tate
Thurston
Cronk
Scott
Smith
Hannant
Myles
Thaiday
Parker

Shillington
Te'o
Papalii
McQueen

Pierced Soul

First Grade
On the game plan they put to Mal whether Josh Papalli was in consideration, he said not at this point, he wants to keep the same team for game 2.

i can see that just being Mal using his political :lol: skills to try and keep nsw guessing. loyalty is one thing when you're winning and everyones doing their part but doesnt get you anywhere if the team doesnt perform.

Daley has made similar noises, but i do think they'll look at whetehr to keep reynolds in the team (i know he said he has). if the game plays out like it did in game 1 he wont play again which potentially could be a bigger prob for the blues if qld actually decide to turn up and have a go

Hannat obv needs to come in and maybe a positional shift with Inglis to wing and bring in some other center. I wouldn't drop Harrison personally, he's a tackling machine and QLD really need that with the strategy NSW has employed.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
'Gordo' is a muppet. You want the ball in Inglis' hands. Yes he might get more ball running it back from kicks but if you're moving him to the wing he's going to get less chances.

Inglis has been carving it for souffs in attack playing a roving role.

'Gordo' is a muppet. You want the ball in Inglis' hands. Yes he might get more ball running it back from kicks but if you're moving him to the wing he's going to get less chances.

Inglis has been carving it for souffs in attack playing a roving role.
Where is slater gonna go if you intend to move him to fullback?