What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QLD team for Game 2

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They won't move Slater (although I would), Inglis will stay at centre. Gillmiester and Hagen will watch the tape and realise the obvious that Inglis did not get enough ball on Wednesday night. Morris and erguson will have busy nights at Lang Park in a couple of weeks time.

They won't move Slater (although I would), Inglis will stay at centre. Gillmiester and Hagen will watch the tape and realise the obvious that Inglis did not get enough ball on Wednesday night. Morris and erguson will have busy nights at Lang Park in a couple of weeks time.
:lol:

and you were laughing at me.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Souths are very lucky there not playing this weekend as there best player Greg Inglis wouldn't have been able to recover in time from when Hayne ran over the top of him in game 1 of Origin

Hayne: Pwning Inglis in Origin since forever

big hit!

Bench
FB is a key position.

Inglis is the better FB.

I'd begin Slater at FB, but if the QLD forwards are dominated in the first half again as they were in Game 1, then I'd make the switch in the 2nd half for kick returns, but would still keep Slater lurking around the ruck if their forwards start to get on top.

QLD's problem in each of the last 4 games is that their forwards have not started as well as those of NSW. This is understandable as NSW have the more agile unit. In the 2012 games, QLD eventually began to dominate into the 2nd half as their bigger forwards eventually wore down the blues through more possession and sets when the game was there to be won.

However, in Game 1 Wednesday night, the QLD forwards never really got on top. When they did start getting the Blues on the back foot through Hodges' metres around the ruck, it started to give their backs some space to put on points. But without the supporting go forward in through the middle, it was difficult to maintain.

Meninga really has to get the forward unit right. He needs his experienced players in the middle such as Scott & Shillington to have much better games than they did in Game 1. With Hannant coming back, they'll practically have all the personnel (ex Petero) back on deck that has previously managed to eventually get on top of the agile NSW unit.

Scott, Shillington, Hannant, Myles, Parker have all done the job in the past. Meninga needs to add one more player to this quintet to have his middle rotation that he can interchange throughout the game. Whether that be a player from the past such as Lillyman, or blooding a new player like Kennedy or Papalii is up to him. But Mal definitely needs a 6th player to keep his bigger forwards rotating as he has done in the past. Hannant will be underdone also so will need to be used in shorter spurts than in the past.

In the washup, maybe we're finally realising one year too late that the QLD pack is really just not as good as the Blues? The big difference between the mobile strategies used by Stuart and Daley was that the latter used the interchange much smarter. Daley constantly rotated all his middle players and kept them fresh unlike Stuart who kept guys such as Gallen and Bird in the game for 80 mins.

Amadaca

Juniors
FB is a key position.

Inglis is the better FB.

I'd begin Slater at FB, but if the QLD forwards are dominated in the first half again as they were in Game 1, then I'd make the switch in the 2nd half for kick returns, but would still keep Slater lurking around the ruck if their forwards start to get on top.

QLD's problem in each of the last 4 games is that their forwards have not started as well as those of NSW. This is understandable as NSW have the more agile unit. In the 2012 games, QLD eventually began to dominate into the 2nd half as their bigger forwards eventually wore down the blues through more possession and sets when the game was there to be won.

However, in Game 1 Wednesday night, the QLD forwards never really got on top. When they did start getting the Blues on the back foot through Hodges' metres around the ruck, it started to give their backs some space to put on points. But without the supporting go forward in through the middle, it was difficult to maintain.

Meninga really has to get the forward unit right. He needs his experienced players in the middle such as Scott & Shillington to have much better games than they did in Game 1. With Hannant coming back, they'll practically have all the personnel (ex Petero) back on deck that has previously managed to eventually get on top of the agile NSW unit.

Scott, Shillington, Hannant, Myles, Parker have all done the job in the past. Meninga needs to add one more player to this quintet to have his middle rotation that he can interchange throughout the game. Whether that be a player from the past such as Lillyman, or blooding a new player like Kennedy or Papalii is up to him. But Mal definitely needs a 6th player to keep his bigger forwards rotating as he has done in the past. Hannant will be underdone also so will need to be used in shorter spurts than in the past.

In the washup, maybe we're finally realising one year too late that the QLD pack is really just not as good as the Blues? The big difference between the mobile strategies used by Stuart and Daley was that the latter used the interchange much smarter. Daley constantly rotated all his middle players and kept them fresh unlike Stuart who kept guys such as Gallen and Bird in the game for 80 mins.

Arguably (not unquestionably). However, that misses the bigger picture.

AceAv

Juniors
Well its a dangerous time for Qld with the way NSW have finally started to show up to the games in the past 4 matches. They were much more enthusiastic and looked full of spark and eager to win. It's crucial we hit them with much more than what we saw on wed.

Qld reminded me of Melbourne with the way they stayed "patient" until the end until you saw someone like smith make a double movement when all we needed was a quick play the ball.

NSW gave us more errors and opportunities to punish them but cronks boot was not on song, and Thurston was doing very little to compensate. I think he needs to be honourable and give dce half back. He is carrying a nasty injury and is about to become a dad.

I also found myself screaming at qld to stop one upping with our props on the 3d and 4th tackle and find some opportunity to put Inglis and hodges & co into the game. They barely were seen in the first half.

Blues won the yardage game by a lot and that was inevitable with the form that players like lewis galen and Tamou have been showing. Maybe George burgess will announce his qld pride for us to even it out =p.

But honestly we desperately need Hannant back in, and either push shillo to the bench and Parker swap with Harrison. Tbh they both were our worst & I would drop both and put Papalli in. Not sure if Mal will do that tho.

I also doubt be will name Inglis at fb or even wing. - tho that's not as crazy as it sounds as he will be able to play more of a "co fullback role. I think if we're behind in the 50th Min this might be the option.

Gillet is very good off the bench. I miss Taylor and have no idea why he has slumped form. Such a waste... Teo and mcqeen are a little too similar but are both very good at breaking tackles and providing great impact. Realistically I expect to see:

1 Slater
2 Boyd
3 GI (rotating later to shuffle into fullback or wing)
4 Hodges
5 Tate
6 Cronk
7 DCE
8 Hannant
9 Smith
10 Scott
11 Thaiday
12 Myles
13 Harrison (rotating early to give Parker impact and then coming in to freshen up our 2d row)
14 Parker
15 Papalli
16 Gilllet
17 Teo
18 Barba
19 Shil

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
That Lillyman performance could not have come at a better time. I've no doubt selectors would not have missed him on this occasion.

The side will need better go-forward, while at the same time having the right mix that does not see our forward pack getting fatigued like NSW did. Four props will be a must, so Hannant and Lillyman could be the answer for game two.

But I also think Papalii will be a valuable addition, and it is he that will have the brightest future out fo all our current youngsters.

So having said all this it is hard to see where this leaves Teo, McQueen and Gillette. None really did anything wrong in the first game, but they are all probably too similar to one another. Probably only one could hold his spot going into game two, more than likely that would be Teo.

A four-forward bench will be the most likely outcome, including two props. But there remains a lingering feeling Barba could be an ace up our sleeve. A risky proposition no doubt, but one that could provide enormous benefits.

Tweed Titan

Bench
That Lillyman performance could not have come at a better time. I've no doubt selectors would not have missed him on this occasion.

The side will need better go-forward, while at the same time having the right mix that does not see our forward pack getting fatigued like NSW did. Four props will be a must, so Hannant and Lillyman could be the answer for game two.

But I also think Papalii will be a valuable addition, and it is he that will have the brightest future out fo all our current youngsters.

So having said all this it is hard to see where this leaves Teo, McQueen and Gillette. None really did anything wrong in the first game, but they are all probably too similar to one another. Probably only one could hold his spot going into game two, more than likely that would be Teo.

A four-forward bench will be the most likely outcome, including two props. But there remains a lingering feeling Barba could be an ace up our sleeve. A risky proposition no doubt, but one that could provide enormous benefits.

Lillyman is an honest toiler but I don't think he is up to the standard of the NSW props and will be contained if selected. Qld doesn't have any really classy props waiting in the wings right now. The shoe is on the other foot from about 3-4 years ago right now, where NSW really struggled with some dross in that position.

Lillyman is an honest toiler but I don't think he is up to the standard of the NSW props and will be contained if selected. Qld doesn't have any really classy props waiting in the wings right now. The shoe is on the other foot from about 3-4 years ago right now, where NSW really struggled with some dross in that position.
Have you watched any Warriors game this yr ?

Lillyman is going great ,& if Hannant isn't there then we need a hard hitting, Hard running big prop on the bench.

Dazzat

First Grade
Have you watched any Warriors game this yr ?

Lillyman is going great ,& if Hannant isn't there then we need a hard hitting, Hard running big prop on the bench.

The Queensland front rower situation isn't going really good when we're calling on a bench player from one of the bottom teams.

Where oh where is our next Webke, Civ or Steve Price (or Martin Bella for that matter)?

Amadaca

Juniors
I know where your last Steven Price is. Still on the turf sleeping off being Brett White's bitch & Justin Poore's rag doll.

Dazzat

First Grade
I know where your last Steven Price is. Still on the turf sleeping off being Brett White's bitch & Justin Poore's rag doll.

NSWers (I know you love that term) have to keep themselves satisfied with thuggery while true victory eludes.

How many series wins did Price play in again?

An even better question ... how many average metres per game did Price make each time he played against NSW.

An even better question ... how many average metres per game did Price and CIV make each time they played against NSW.

But enjoy your thuggery if that's what you're into.

Dazzat

First Grade
An even better question...what's a New South Welsher?

LOL.

welcher: someone who swindles you by not repaying a debt or wager.

Kinda fits when one considers Gallen stayed on the field, and received no effective penalty whatsoever.

Amadaca

Juniors
Too bad they're spelled differently, & only one is actually, you know, a real word.

Such a moron :lol:

Dazzat

First Grade
Too bad they're spelled differently, & only one is actually, you know, a real word.

Such a moron :lol:

My apologies I didn't realise you were League Unlimited self-appointed word regulator.

Oh ... by the way ... don't like the use of ampersands in sentences.