What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quade Cooper knocks back Parramatta Eels offer to switch to NRL and sticks with Union

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm death-riding the Wallabies like a mad merkin. Have been since that game in Hong Kong.

Just so he doesn't sign another contract with them.

I'm the worst Australian ever.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm death-riding the Wallabies like a mad merkin. Have been since that game in Hong Kong.

Just so he doesn't sign another contract with them.

I'm the worst Australian ever.

there are worst Australians out there mate, think about the 95% of them that hate Mundine...

boxhead

First Grade
As Staggs rightly pointed out, does Kearney even want Quade?
Kearney obviously has his eyes on a half, it is highly unlikely it is Quade.

caylo

Bench
Who else is there?

This is very true.
Cronk has an option to leave at the end of 2011. Prince, Thurston and Pearce are no chance.
Realistically if we are going to sign an accomplished halfback it is going to have to be Cronk.

there are a few 5-8 available like anasta and Mullan but they would be unlikely to move from their respected clubs.

Quade has to be an option esp if someone like Murray can step up and direct a team and that would allow Quade to be the main attacking point similar to how Farah and Benji work

boxhead

First Grade
There are a lot of halves running around mate. There are quite a few that are off contract for 2012. Whoever Kearney is looking at, no matter who it is, I believe it is highly unlikey it is Quade Cooper. He was a target under the old regime, and even then, I don't think Anderson was after him either. Seemed more of an Osbourne target, and Kearney has since said he wants full control over recruitment.

Hardly compelling proof I know, but I doubt Quade would fit the type of player Kearney would want anyway. It would be huge money for a player who is terrible defensively and has no first-grade experience in League.

Last edited:

caylo

Bench
There are a lot of halves running around mate. There are quite a few that are off contract for 2012. Whoever Kearney is looking at, no matter who it is, I believe it is highly unlikey it is Quade Cooper. He was a target under the old regime, and even then, I don't think Anderson was after him either. Seemed more of an Osbourne target, and Kearney has since said he wants full control over recruitment.

Any coach would be happy to get Quade Cooper at the right price. You believe that Quade isnt a target but you know as much as the next bloke and there arnt alot of halfbacks coming off contract. There 2 (Sandow and Walsh) plus Mullen (more a 5-8), Cronks contract expires in 2013 but like i said there is a clause in it saying he has the option to leave after 2011 if he gets a better offer(apparently).

I think Kearney will try and build a team similar to Melbourne in that you will have a good 9, 7, 6 and 1. Hayne and MK/Mitchell look to be set to play in the 1 and 9 and he is looking for a good half set.

Now one of those players will probably be a unkown player/player with limited experiance (morts, humble, Murry, robson, barba, dude we signed from canberra etc) and the other has to be experience and proven. Realistically Cronk is the only player in the NRL that fits that bill so if kearney didnt look at Quade he would be crazy IMO.

SDM

First Grade
Imagine Skeepe's reaction :lol: It was bad enough when Zillman left :lol:

Zillman is the best player in the NRL.......who has bitten someone in the last few years. But even I am better than Brad Moron.

84 Baby

Referee
there are a few 5-8 available like anasta and Mullan but they would be unlikely to move from their respected clubs.
I'm sure Mullen will be open to a move after the Newcastle Tinklers sign Lockyer and QC as their new halves pairing

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n-bin-with-blues/story-e6freye0-1226020331476

PARRAMATTA have shelved plans to chase Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper after the World Cup.

New coach Stephen Kearney has such confidence in Jeff Robson and Daniel Mortimer that the Eels have decided not to pursue the rugby union superstar.

"Quade had his chance last year but we've got a different coach now," Eels chief executive Paul Osborne said.

"We're always in the market for players, but at the same time we want to make sure we keep our best local juniors."

Parramatta are well under the salary cap having released Timana Tahu at the end of last season. As we revealed last week, Tahu is expected to sign with Penrith in the next few days.

strider

Post Whore
different coach now? - I thought Ando wasn't part of the pursuing of Quade anyway?

for mine SK can do anything he likes - i have faith