What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quade Cooper knocks back Parramatta Eels offer to switch to NRL and sticks with Union

Gronk

Staff member
He's been a speed hump for the Reds this year, so I won't argue with SK here.

Gronk

Staff member
Thank fack we got Hoppa/ Sandow instead of Cooper.

howto-tackle-200x141.jpg

The Colonel

Immortal
I'd rather see us throw the big money at Genia and O'Connor.... at least they can defend. Cooper is an overated hack.

Suitman

Post Whore
In saying all that though, the whole Wallaby team was outplayed completely today.
How the f**k we won I'll never know. Cooper wasn't the only hack out there today.
I find it amusing that you are all so quick to to bag him out.
Absolutely he has his shortcomings, but f**k me dead, what were the possesion stats today? We were on the back foot for about 70 out of 80 minutes. Any playmaker would have struggled under those conditions. Even Mortimer.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
The wallabies turned the ball over time and time again. You cant just look at the possession stats and say that they played well to win that.

Today's game aside, arms grabs don't count as an attempted tackle. He's just not prepared to have a go and bend his back and get dirty when it comes to defence.

Suitman

Post Whore
The wallabies turned the ball over time and time again. You cant just look at the possession stats and say that they played well to win that.

Today's game aside, arms grabs don't count as an attempted tackle. He's just not prepared to have a go and bend his back and get dirty when it comes to defence.

Yeh, I agree totally. Defence wise, do you think he is beyond redemption? I know he is a tontine atm, but could he improve enought to just get by in league?

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
Hence why rugby is such a s**t game. You can get completely outplayed yet still win because it's all about penalties not tries.

Regardless if the Wallabies go on to win this thing Cooper will get a massive pay rise and locked up long term no matter whether he contributes to the win or not.

Eels Dude

Coach
Agree but his D is no better than Cooper's. Berrick Barnes was the catch, but he just re-signed for 2 years.

I wonder how Berrick Barnes would go in league today. He didn't really kick on when he was at the Broncos. He was only around 18 or 19 then though.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Every coach is wiling to carry one poor defender in his defensive line.

Also, Cooper isn't small. He might be able to learn how to defend well though you'd think by his age, and with his level of experience it's unlikely.

But he no worse than Sandow or most other smaller halves, and their coaches all accept the need to hide them in defence.

It ultimately comes down to whether or not Cooper's attack makes it all worth it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I wonder how Berrick Barnes would go in league today. He didn't really kick on when he was at the Broncos. He was only around 18 or 19 then though.

Yeah and his head cost Fui any chance of helping the eels to the 2005 premiership

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Union is a crap game, first game I watched in a while and all they do is kick the ball. Half the players are slow with no ability to see a hole and go for it. Out of todays game only Beale and O'connor would have any chance in league.

Also I doubt Cooper with his current body build would have the ability to play a full season in league. The gym I go to I saw a somebody there several times a week over the last 2 months or so, I thought I could picture him but then looked at his body and said no, there is no-one this game could be a proefessional football player. He had chicken legs and very small upper built - you can normallly tell a league player as they are very solid but also have very powerfull looking legs, even the smaller players do.

Everyhow this guy turned out to be Matt Giteau, there is no way he would last a full season in league without some serious strenght training

84 Baby

Referee
In saying all that though, the whole Wallaby team was outplayed completely today.
How the f**k we won I'll never know. Cooper wasn't the only hack out there today.
Absolutely he has his shortcomings, but f**k me dead, what were the possesion stats today? We were on the back foot for about 70 out of 80 minutes. Any playmaker would have struggled under those conditions. Even Mortimer.

Suity
We won because in the end as good as the safas played as a whole, Pocock was the best player on the field by the twice the distance that the Boks were better than the rest of the team

bartman

Immortal
Agree with others that we're lucky we didn't land Quade Cooper... The guy is even less reliable to have on your side than Morts!

Bazal

Post Whore
Hence why rugby is such a s**t game. You can get completely outplayed yet still win because it's all about penalties not tries.

Yeah, I hate it when the winning side doesn't score a try....oh, wait :roll:

Cooper was horrible today, should have been hooked for Barnes...but he'd still make a f**king excellent NRL half IMO. He cracked under pressure, but he's still incredibly skillful. He even made some important tackles!

The Colonel

Immortal

Suity

The possession stat were poor however whenever he had the ball he either kicked it away or when he did run it he ran around an around in circles and turned the ball over. Has done for much of the competition.

If it wasn't for Genia, O'Connor ( a better 5/8 option) and Pocock and some strong defensive scramble they would have been smashed.

Bazal

Post Whore
We won because in the end as good as the safas played as a whole, Pocock was the best player on the field by the twice the distance that the Boks were better than the rest of the team

We won because on the whole, our defence was just outstanding. Which is odd for a Wallabies side, but there you go.

Cooper was awful today - was his girlfriend over there or was it the booing from the crowd? He was just awful - his head was somewhere else.

He was either going to win us a World Cup or lose one. I think we are closer to the latter........

Latest posts