What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Queenslander!

Mong

Post Whore
Speaking of delusions..

Did i really see a NSW fan making a claim they would win 3-0 this year?

Haha..

5 in a row is going to be extra sweet..

Dazzat

First Grade
Yeah, but never as someone who supports or is associated or played for the NSW team. Off the top of my head, captaining NSW meant a s**tload more to Steve 'Turvey' Mortimer than just running out first.

I'll give you Turvey ... great man!

But Buderus ... good case in point ...! All he had to do was do a couple of pre-match interviews, and run out first for NSW and the commentators from Nine were frothing at the mouth of what a great captain he was ...??

What did he do when Carl Webb gave it to Luke Bailey? From memory it involved standing there doing nothing.

Big Pete

Referee
Buderus' best moment as captain was getting tackled by Smith and him chasing after Smith to give him the weakest push you will ever see.

Inspirational stuff.

cornerposter

Juniors
Another great Buderus moment was taking a sledge from Hodges about being the 2nd best hooker in the game behind Smith.

"He's 1, your 2"

:lol::lol::lol:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yep, Cam Smith and Locky are always the 1st guys into a stink.

The amount of times Ive seen those 2 run into a fight throwing punches to "protect" their boys.........well, its never really happened has it. Why? Neither of them are thugs and they both have more than half a brain to think with.

FFS, you admonish any NSWelsmen for being thugs yet you celebrate the same behaviour of anyone wearing maroon.

perverse

Referee
what makes me laugh about Buderus is that he was supposed to be the one holding NSW back... the reason why we couldn't win a series.

he leaves and NSW get even worse.

Buderus didn't need to speak to lead, he lead with his actions on and off the football. his passion and competitiveness has been sorely missed by the blues... and putting ennis and farah in at hooker did nothing to improve NSW's woes. in fact you could say we lost one of the only truly passionate players the blues had left.

historically, no, i don't think NSW have been any less passionate about origin football... that is up until the last few series. i honestly think the heart has drifted out of the NSW camp over the past few years, in fact probably since Joey's retirement and onwards. NSW fans (myself included) can bitch and moan about our passion all we like, but the reality is the same level of intensity is rarely mirrored on the field by our players.

we need to match queensland in the heart department on the field before we win another origin series. whether this means them getting complacent, or us lifting to the level that is required, i'm not sure. either way, it has to happen, otherwise it will be 5 in a row this year... and we'll be left pointing fingers at another couple of players who were likely just marginally worse than every other bloke in a blues jersey.

to conclude and summarise - no.. historically QLD have not been more passionate in support or on the field.. but i do think QLDer's have every right to say that their players are more passionate at the moment, because the results on the field generally speak for themselves. yes, they've been more talented, but blind freddy could tell you that they've also been far more hungry.

Big Pete

Referee
Good post perverse.

JW, the game has changed so much that all in brawls are no longer tolerated. A third man in is generally automatically sin-binned where as back then it was certainly tolerated.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Maybe it has changed mate but biffing on still doesn't equate to good leadership, no matter what the era.

So what was your sh*t canning of Bedsy for his lack of biff all about then if his era doesn't tolerate it? Hypocritical much

Dazzat

First Grade
Not bagging Buderus for 'lack of biff' ... he didn't even try to 'protect' his fellow NSWer.

Lewis was never into biff himself ... but he did protect his players.

You just have to listen to ex-players and coaches from NSW ... they admit the old passion argument is a problem within NSW ranks. You don't have to believe a Queenslander.

Knightmare

Coach
Speaking of delusions..

Did i really see a NSW fan making a claim they would win 3-0 this year?

Haha..

5 in a row is going to be extra sweet..

Who, Benny Elias? You mean you guys actually take him seriously? :lol: You'd best just do what people in NSW do when Choppy Close goes on another of his "Qld are Aussie battlers/ NSW are the spawn of Satan" rants and just have a chuckle.

Knightmare

Coach
Not bagging Buderus for 'lack of biff' ... he didn't even try to 'protect' his fellow NSWer.

You just have to listen to ex-players and coaches from NSW ... they admit the old passion argument is a problem within NSW ranks. You don't have to believe a Queenslander.

This is actually an interesting point. I think 'passion' is down to coaching staff. No NSW team under Phil Gould could be accused of lacking passion, or even the years when Tommy Raudonikis was coach. Even a maligned coach like Ricky Stuart, you watch that '25 years of Origin' doco and listen to him talking to the boys, and you can tell that it means a lot to him and everyone in that room to represent NSW.

The Maroons have had some great coaches over the years who inspired passion, blokes like Fatty Vautin (even though he was somewhat lacking in terms of technical ability as coach) and Mal Meninga currently. Then guys like Bennett and Beetson who commanded great respect. But you can't tell me that when the Maroons were coached by guys like Graham Lowe, Mark Murray or Michael Hagan that they had anything near that same level of passion or commitment to the cause.

It's surely more than just a coincidence that NSW have not won a series since Graham Murray (and now Craig Bellamy) have been in charge? As I said in another post, these two guys are (or were) coaching NRL teams with many Qld players in them, and it seems to affect them the same way the Maroons teams under Hagan went easy on the NSW Knights players.

Mal is a great coach for Qld to have because even though he didn't cut it at NRL level, he has no current ties to an NRL club so he couldn't give a sh*t about his mates on the other side of the corridor. If the Blues had a coach like that these past 5 years, I'm certain the shield would have headed back south at least once.

Supporting Newcastle in the NRL has taught me over the years that passion is not just something that automatically comes with wearing the jersey or representing the area. It comes from the coach and who the coach surrounds themself with, and it can depart just as quickly as it arrives.

All things considered though, GO THE BLUES!:cool:

Joker's Wild

Coach

Lol Lewis loved a biff as did a lot of the older blokes but it doesn't make him a good leader

Where was Locky when Price got his head taken off last year?

Good captains don't need to "protect" anyone, they lead by example with their footy not their fists.

Mong

Post Whore
Who, Benny Elias? You mean you guys actually take him seriously? :lol: You'd best just do what people in NSW do when Choppy Close goes on another of his "Qld are Aussie battlers/ NSW are the spawn of Satan" rants and just have a chuckle.

I was actually meaning you.. As it turns out you were just dreaming out aloud hoping that they would win all 3 games this year.

It's nice to have dreams i suppose.. No matter how deluded they may be.

johns_reds

First Grade
Yeah, but never as someone who supports or is associated or played for the NSW team. Off the top of my head, captaining NSW meant a s**tload more to Steve 'Turvey' Mortimer than just running out first.

It never ceases to amaze me how Qlders think they can speak for 6 million people who call NSW home...:crazy:

haha look at your sig, you apparently can speak for our whole state but we can't speak for yours, hypocritical....

Mong

Post Whore
Take it easy on the NSW folk.. it's been a long while since they have had anything to cheer about.

perverse

Referee
This is actually an interesting point. I think 'passion' is down to coaching staff. No NSW team under Phil Gould could be accused of lacking passion, or even the years when Tommy Raudonikis was coach. Even a maligned coach like Ricky Stuart, you watch that '25 years of Origin' doco and listen to him talking to the boys, and you can tell that it means a lot to him and everyone in that room to represent NSW.

The Maroons have had some great coaches over the years who inspired passion, blokes like Fatty Vautin (even though he was somewhat lacking in terms of technical ability as coach) and Mal Meninga currently. Then guys like Bennett and Beetson who commanded great respect. But you can't tell me that when the Maroons were coached by guys like Graham Lowe, Mark Murray or Michael Hagan that they had anything near that same level of passion or commitment to the cause.

It's surely more than just a coincidence that NSW have not won a series since Graham Murray (and now Craig Bellamy) have been in charge? As I said in another post, these two guys are (or were) coaching NRL teams with many Qld players in them, and it seems to affect them the same way the Maroons teams under Hagan went easy on the NSW Knights players.

Mal is a great coach for Qld to have because even though he didn't cut it at NRL level, he has no current ties to an NRL club so he couldn't give a sh*t about his mates on the other side of the corridor. If the Blues had a coach like that these past 5 years, I'm certain the shield would have headed back south at least once.

Supporting Newcastle in the NRL has taught me over the years that passion is not just something that automatically comes with wearing the jersey or representing the area. It comes from the coach and who the coach surrounds themself with, and it can depart just as quickly as it arrives.

All things considered though, GO THE BLUES!:cool:
i agree 100%... however it's not like we haven't had passionate NSWelshmen in and around camp the last few years. maybe we need to get more blokes in the MG, Chief and Joey mould in and around camp... possibly even pick one as Head Coach and leave the technical coaching to a team of other blokes (much like QLD currently do).

bring back Tommy, imo.

Big Pete

Referee
Y'know I doubt even Gould, Gibson or god forbid Ricky Stuart would've been able to of beaten Queensland in the past four series given the talent at Queensland's disposal.

Queensland have just been far too superior across the park and since Game 2 2006 New South Wales haven't been able to beat Queensland without the help of key injuries.

Latest posts