What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dogs Of War

Coach
Vlandys hands his mates another gift. Been future valued at $1-2billion, the games only tangible asset, generating $30mill a year revenue and Vlandys just closes it down. Let’s here all you Vlandys lovers defend this one!

Given we are about to be handed enough money to support a 17th team, and still have a deal to be done with channel 9/commerical TV broadcasters. Some concessions needed to be made. $30mil revenue does not mean $30mil profit.

Vlandys hands his mates another gift. Been future valued at $1-2billion, the games only tangible asset, generating $30mill a year revenue and Vlandys just closes it down. Let’s here all you Vlandys lovers defend this one!

When I saw your post, I feared we were selling the digital assets. Given thats not the case and Fox is giving us 75mil or so to support a new franchise, it’s clear the digital arm is being used as a bargaining tool to squeeze more money out of the networks within the current media landscape. I’m okay with this for the time being but hope one day we become fully autonomous in broadcasting the game although I still hold my suspicions with Vlad.

Munky

Coach
Anyone else feel that Vlad doesn't really understand the new digital media landscape?

Seems a head kicker who knows how to get things done his way but if someone asked him about MAU and engagement metrics I'm sure you'd get a befuddled look.

I said elsewhere that the current broadcast partners no longer control the distribution methods (despite News doing its best to kill high speed internet in Aus). Foxtel relies on the NRL to keep Kayo and Fox Sports viable.

The NRL and AFL should be setting up their own version of Kayo each and bidding on international sports. Partner with an actual tech company to develop/own the infrastructure. That way the code will own the content and control the distribution.

jimmee007

Juniors
Anyone else feel that Vlad doesn't really understand the new digital media landscape?

Seems a head kicker who knows how to get things done his way but if someone asked him about MAU and engagement metrics I'm sure you'd get a befuddled look.

I said elsewhere that the current broadcast partners no longer control the distribution methods (despite News doing its best to kill high speed internet in Aus). Foxtel relies on the NRL to keep Kayo and Fox Sports viable.

The NRL and AFL should be setting up their own version of Kayo each and bidding on international sports. Partner with an actual tech company to develop/own the infrastructure. That way the code will own the content and control the distribution.
Well said, you will know the true value of your digital rights when you are selling your own subscriptions.

I have no doubt Vlandys has extracted more money from 'fox' for an extension but that's because they knew what was coming in the near future in the digital landscape and protected their investment.

Munky

Coach
The biggest issue IMO is that the two biggest media companies in Australia have their fingers in the pie and we won't get true analysis of the market value of rights and the future.

At best you'll get the a media industry analyst commenting in an investment newsletter and enthusiastic amateurs like ourselves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When I saw your post, I feared we were selling the digital assets. Given thats not the case and Fox is giving us 75mil or so to support a new franchise, it’s clear the digital arm is being used as a bargaining tool to squeeze more money out of the networks within the current media landscape. I’m okay with this for the time being but hope one day we become fully autonomous in broadcasting the game although I still hold my suspicions with Vlad.
That’s exactly what he’s done, handed over the digital arm back to the media companies for what seems an undisclosed amount and shut down the dept. it was reported in May that nine wanted it as part of the next deal, guess they got what they wanted. For all his faults Grant new the future for the code is digital Content control.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Given we are about to be handed enough money to support a 17th team, and still have a deal to be done with channel 9/commerical TV broadcasters. Some concessions needed to be made. $30mil revenue does not mean $30mil profit.
Revenue went up $17mill in one year from digital! It’s been tipped it could be worth $2billion as an asset in years to come. It’s the main communication portal with the games customer base and the future hope of the game controlling and generating its own sale content.
But yeh im sure whatever nine and news have chipped in for it is more than adequate lol.

Brick Tamland

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-teams-50m-profit-posted-20211007-p58y3k.html

The NRL will officially expand its competition to include a 17th team, although the clubs are calling for a bigger share of the spoils after the game announced a $50 million surplus.
and
Had COVID-19 costs of $30 million not been incurred, the game would have made $80 million over the last financial year.

The NRL cut costs by $55 million to be able to distribute $376 million across the game. However, some clubs believe they should be given more money in order to grow their own businesses...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Vlandys now at war with NSWRL! They only need a majority of clubs to back them and they could have him removed after the recent change in the ARLC constitution.

The NSW Rugby League has launched a direct attack at Peter V'landys and threatened legal action if funding from the ARL Commission is not paid by the end of Sunday.
In it, they claimed they were still yet to hear from V'landys directly
"As a member of the ARLC, NSWRL legitimately expects to be supported by the ARLC in meeting these challenges," the NSWRL said.
"Instead (it is) being subject to funding suspensions and other threats in relation to the termination of the right to participate in the State of Origin series.
"Such threats which are made for contrived political reasons.
"The ARLC chairman has not only suspended our funding, but he has also suspended any contact with NSWRL.

Wb1234

Referee

Munky

Coach
Anyone else feel that PVL doesn't really understand the new digital media landscape?

Posted this about a year ago.

Looks like News played PVL easily.

fourplay

Juniors
Posted this about a year ago.

Looks like News played PVL easily.
News didn't play Vlandy's, Vlandys and News together played the NRL. I very strongly believe that Vlandy's does not have the NRL's best interests at heart. His real hat is a News Corp one. That is who he is working for. His whole rugby league loving immigrant boy shtick while throwing potshots at the AFL is a charade.