What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nevan_

First Grade
The only people who claim Melbourne as the sporting capital of the world are Victorians.
It is such a wank.

They need to study Victorians, as they're the only people on the planet with both an inferiority and superiority complex. In their minds they're the best city in the country because they have yellow taxis and drink coffee, but they're also aware of the fact that Sydney is the only Australian city with any presence in the international consciousness. The Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Bondi Beach are international icons. Victoria, on the other hand, doesn't have anything near as renowned. This is why you hear them utter slogans like: "Melbourne is, like, the Europe of Australia" or "Melbourne is like New York", which I'm guessing is because of the fact that New York ALSO has Yellow Taxis. Sydney is Sydney - we don't need to manufacture an identity. Their insecurities are further manifested in their insistence on being referred to as "the sporting capital", and by putting a Victorian Rules ball in the hands of any celebrity that is unfortunate enough to be there.

Sydney is dump and is only getting worse, but if I were a religious man, I would be thanking my God that I don't live in Melbourne.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Arrrgggh London?

Wimbledon
Premier League
FA Cup Final
Cricket at Lords & The Oval
London Marathon
The Epsom
Rugby Test Matches at Twickenham
Rugby League Challenge Cup Final
Ok. So maybe one city in the world trumps Melbourne.
Aust Open = Wimbledon
Melb Cup = The Epsom
EPL crowds = AFL crowds
Boxing Day test > any cricket match in England. The Oval holds 25k it has no big events
Grand Prix is much bigger than any rugby or league matches.
Maybe.
Maybe not.

Jamberoo

Juniors
They need to study Victorians, as they're the only people on the planet with both an inferiority and superiority complex. In their minds they're the best city in the country because they have yellow taxis and drink coffee, but they're also aware of the fact that Sydney is the only Australian city with any presence in the international consciousness. The Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Bondi Beach are international icons. Victoria, on the other hand, doesn't have anything near as renowned. This is why you hear them utter slogans like: "Melbourne is, like, the Europe of Australia" or "Melbourne is like New York", which I'm guessing is because of the fact that New York ALSO has Yellow Taxis. Sydney is Sydney - we don't need to manufacture an identity. Their insecurities are further manifested in their insistence on being referred to as "the sporting capital", and by putting a Victorian Rules ball in the hands of any celebrity that is unfortunate enough to be there.

Sydney is dump and is only getting worse, but if I were a religious man, I would be thanking my God that I don't live in Melbourne.

Yellow taxis? They were yellow for a while. Never heard anyone mention the colour of our taxis.
This discussion arose out of PVL’s need to put Victorians down. He has a chip on his shoulder. Melbournians love Sydney. Aside from the fact that you can’t get a decent coffee there, I have never heard anyone here bag Sydney. Great City. Just not a great sport city. Which is the nature of the discussion on this sporting forum and the nature of PVL’s envy of what Melbourne has regarding sporting events.

Suitman

Post Whore

Haha. All so true!!

I'll never forget one time I visited Melbourne. It was, I think, in 1999. I was there for a Wallabies test and I happened to catch a Storm vs Manly game as well.
Anyway, while walking to the old Olympic Park for the Storm match on the Friday evening, I had to cross St Kilda Rd.
Lo and behold, I see this large sign stating "ST KILDA ROAD - MELBOURNE'S WORLD FAMOUS BOULEVARD".
St Kilda what? WTF??? World famous? Lol.

Anyway, you are correct about the inferiority AND superiority complex.
As a mate of mine always says - "Victorians are well balanced people. They have a chip on both shoulders."
Melbourne is actually a nice city. It's a pity it's full of Victorians.

Sydney is Sydney - we don't need to manufacture an identity.

This.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Melbourne’s reputation as the World’s Sporting Capital is well deserved. Name another city that hosts four or more events bigger than the Melbourne Cup, Boxing Day Test, Australian Open and AFL GF.

What a wank. Every major city in Europe and South America is more sports obsessed than Melbourne. Only difference is they are mad for one sport, and that is soccer.
Victorians just need to get out more.

The only people who claim Melbourne as the sporting capital of the world are Victorians.
It is such a wank.
Yellow taxis? They were yellow for a while. Never heard anyone mention the colour of our taxis.
This discussion arose out of PVL’s need to put Victorians down. He has a chip on his shoulder. Melbournians love Sydney. Aside from the fact that you can’t get a decent coffee there, I have never heard anyone here bag Sydney. Great City. Just not a great sport city. Which is the nature of the discussion on this sporting forum and the nature of PVL’s envy of what Melbourne has regarding sporting events.
NSW has dominated cricket since the game reached these shores. It is strong in RL and RU. Soccer would be up shit creek without Sydney's contributions.

I always thought the Champ Cars event held at Surfers Paradise was better than the Melbourne GP.

Suitman

Post Whore
Melbournians love Sydney.

Lol. So, why are they always trying to one up Sydney on everything?

Aside from the fact that you can’t get a decent coffee there, I have never heard anyone here bag Sydney. Great City. Just not a great sport city. Which is the nature of the discussion on this sporting forum and the nature of PVL’s envy of what Melbourne has regarding sporting events.

It's a myth about Melbourne's coffee culture being so great. Sydney's is equally as good. This is a myth perpetrated by Victorians. I dare say that pretty much any city in Australia sells decent coffee. The difference is, all the others don't have to claim they have the best. It may have once been true for Melbourne, but it's no longer the case.
Melbourne is clearly the sporting capital of Australia, make no bones about that, but the world?
Maybe, it would be in the Top 10.

Anyway, I won't get into a debate with you. I respect your posts that I read and think you are more than reasonable with all your comments. Clearly you are you not a typical Victorian.

Nevan_

First Grade

Nice try. I used to live south of the border, and I can honestly say that the provincials are obsessed with us up here in the big smoke. You insist on focusing on the sporting side of Melbourne as it's the only side of Melbourne. The fact that the VFL, and to a lesser extent Cricket, are major events of the calendar year discredit any claim to be a "world capital". VFL is only popular with less than half the population of a country of 25 million and Cricket is lucky India exists.

The Coffee claim is absurd, as you can get great coffee in any city around Australia. You may as well claim that the Kangaroo is exclusively Victorian.

You're like a broken record when it comes to bitching about PVL and Trump.

The RL 'fanbase' in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth is tiny. Canberra probably has a larger pool of active supporters than all 3 metro areas if Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth combined. The combined viewership in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth would be around 30,000-35,000 for games not involving the Storm.

It would be great to see interest in the game in SA, Vic and WA grow, but it's unlikely to happen, regardless of whether the ARLC gives in to all of your demands.

Insulting the heartland by referring to its fans as 'rednecks' does nothing for the game in the non-RL states.

If you think Hillary was a better candidate than Trump then you're mad. Trump has done wonders for the economy and lowered the unemployment rate, especially amongst the African-American community. Hillary is a corrupt war criminal and belongs in a prison cell.

Going so good ... then you turned into a Trump defender. The worse non-genocidal world leader in history.

I think Melbourne is a wonderful city. I just find it cringe worthy when Victorians talk themselves up as being more interested in sport than anyone else. Especially when they do it during the commentary of the tennis and cricket. No one wants to har that insecure shit.

It's just as bad and silly when people say Brisbane is the RL capital of the world. Brisbane can lay claim to being the world's 2nd largest RL city, but Sydney is and always will be the biggest. Port Moresby is probably the most passionate RL city on Earth.

Victoria didn't acquire all of these events until Jeff Kennett became Premier. I'll admit, Victoria's love for fumbleball is impressive, but that doesn't mean they care about sport any more than any other place on Earth.

PR is right about London holding a stronger claim to the title.

Going so good ... then you turned into a Trump defender. The worse non-genocidal world leader in history.
That pansy from Canada, the dope from France and Germany's Merkel would surely be the biggest dunces to lead a country. Their policies have left their respective countries up shit creek without a paddle, and their richest and most productive citizens are emigrating to get away from the mess. Arden, Rudd and Turnbull aren't much better.

no name

Coach
Ok. So maybe one city in the world trumps Melbourne.
Aust Open = Wimbledon
Melb Cup = The Epsom
EPL crowds = AFL crowds
Boxing Day test > any cricket match in England. The Oval holds 25k it has no big events
Grand Prix is much bigger than any rugby or league matches.
Maybe.
Maybe not.
Paris and New York?
You may have a point about EPL=AFL crowds, but what about Division 1 v VFL, Division 2 v the next Aussie rules grade down etc, etc.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Vlad: "Victorians are up themselves. They think they're better than everybody"

Mexicans: "OMG how dare he say that! But since you asked, Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world. They only reason we don't produce more athletes in anything worthwhile is because they're all playing the greatest sport on the planet! BAAAAWWWWWLLLLLL!"

Such hubris from a nothing state. Little dog syndrome given geographic form.

Dodgy

Juniors
Look man, I'm from Melbourne. I get the frustration you guys have with AFL/Melbourne media and culture. But take it easy

soc123_au

Staff member
They only reason we don't produce more athletes in anything worthwhile is because they're all playing the greatest sport on the planet! BAAAAWWWWWLLLLLL!"

Such hubris from a nothing state. Little dog syndrome given geographic form.

Imagine if people from NSW, Canberra, QLD & NZ actually took Flogball seriously & started playing it. Without the unco's stinking it up, it may become watchable.

AJB1102

First Grade
Imagine if people from NSW, Canberra, QLD & NZ actually took Flogball seriously & started playing it. Without the unco's stinking it up, it may become watchable.

2 pissed QLD internet pranksters/influencers jumped the fence and each kicked a f**ken goal for a lark. If the pros were that good there'd be no need for the 1 point unco sticks.

T-Boon

Coach
The Everest is better than the Melbourne Cup. All sydney needs to do is get the Grand Prix and it will be the sporting capital of the pacific.
The Melbourne Grand Prix is probably the boringist on the calendar even though it is the first race of the season.
I say New York is the sporting capital of the world. London second. LA third.

Latest posts