What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Discussing when it happened ,not 6 months time elapse.It the NRL led the way ATT,some can't digest that fact.
There are some still struggling in this country eg Rugby union, so it's not every sport.And judging by what is happening in Europe with COVID now, i suggest many sports are finding it difficult there.
Are we playing to packed stadiums yet?

The intent was to show he got in early and the two weeks early jump saved the game,I heard $40m(could have been more) more than if he had started same date as the AFL.Thus the NRL would have had to borrow, which the AFL ended up doing.
A few laughed at the NRL because Banks here wouldn't lend them the dosh,yet the AFL was able to.They didn't use outside money or need to.That's all Im stating.
Anyone who downplays the efforts of getting the game up and running just have an axe to grind, let alone being the first game in this country. We copped shit from all and sundry yet were the first while Flogball played catch up.

The fact that PVL rustles Perth Dreads Jimmies is even more of a bonus.

I've been to Melbourne various times in my life for work trips. Now I know that is different to actually living there, but I've had a good opportunity to visit many of the city attractions, and I must confess that I couldn't see what was so great about Melbourne.

I think the city has its good aspects, and I do not mind going there for a work trip, but I seriously wonder if the "Melbourne is the greatest city on earth," types have actually have a good look around Australia and or abroad?

I actually think Melbourne people turning out in big numbers to sports games actually proves how reliant the city is on for sports rather than it proving they are a sporting capital. There must not be much else to do besides go to the MCG.
I would never want to live in Melbourne. It has a good variety of European food ingredients, but other than that it's nothing special. Its size is its only real saving grace.

F#$k yes! Bring back the Indy
IndyCars these days are different to the Champ Cars that were sanctioned by CART. The owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Tony George, split from CART back in the mid-1990s and trademarked the name IndyCar. His IndyCars were slower and less technology advanced, competing in his new competition, the Indy Racing League. Geoege prohibited CART from running their Champ Cars at the Indy 500 and based his series around oval tracks in North America.

CART went bust building technologically superior cars and running expensive events in Europe, Australia and I think South America. Their assets were bought by a company who relaunched the series under the name Champ Car World Series, until it too went bust in 2008. Tony George bought the rights and merged it with his series, which was now called the IndyCar Series. He killed the race at Surfers Paradise. It's a pity because the most successful driver is Scott Dixon, who was born in Brisbane and competed in CCWS until it was bought by George. Another Queenslander, Will Power, switched over to IndyCars after George bought the CCWS. He won the league a few years ago.

The CART vs IndyCars War was similar to the Super League War. It almost killed open wheel racing in America, and its popularity had never returned to where it was when Nigel Mansell was racing in CART and Ayrton Senna was test driving cars. Stock cars gained in popularity, at the expense of open wheel racing.

CART's attempt to expand around the world and build expensive cars leaves me cautious about our game expanding into Adelaide and Perth. Tony George won the war by playing it safe. AwFuL benefitted at our expense during the Super League War, similar to stock cars in America during the CART vs IndyCar War. I fear that our game could go the same way if we throw too much money behind teams in Adelaide and Perth, similar to what CART did with races in Europe and Australia.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If he was not an NRL official then, why the heck would he.
His motivation and efforts were concentrated on one thing NSW Racing,and he secured huge funding from the Fed Govt to get that industry back on its feet after that serious virus that was disastrous for their industry quite a few years ago.
Bernie Fraser the head of Australian Treasury played rugby league once, what has that to do with having your name on dollar bills.

Not the same

taipan

Referee
Not the same
Not the same

A person who is leading an organisation years ago ,Is not going to bring up irrelevant experiences of his youth, that have next to no relationship to the industry he is involved.
He wasn't riding Buck the Bronco around Suncorp every time the Donkeys score a try.

He is now involved in the industry ,where his youthful experience not only has some relevance but some impact.
That's my point.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
A person who is leading an organisation years ago ,Is not going to bring up irrelevant experiences of his youth, that have next to no relationship to the industry he is involved.
He wasn't riding Buck the Bronco around Suncorp every time the Donkeys score a try.

He is now involved in the industry ,where his youthful experience not only has some relevance but some impact.
That's my point.

Thanks for the education.

Go and read the articles about his background when he came to power in horseracing and comapre them to his articles on his rise in league. Even so the very early ones when he got on the commission.

There is no doubt the media are trying to paint him as one of the common man. I even heard him once say Steve Rogers gave him tickets to the 78 GF....

taipan

Referee
Thanks for the education.

Go and read the articles about his background when he came to power in horseracing and comapre them to his articles on his rise in league. Even so the very early ones when he got on the commission.

There is no doubt the media are trying to paint him as one of the common man. I even heard him once say Steve Rogers gave him tickets to the 78 GF....

No education just laying out my views.
I read his background,I have read teh background of all VCEOs since Gallop arrived on the scene.

Fact he never used his junior rugby league experience when he was pushing for Federal finance to assist the racing industry ,which was on its knees ATT.He got the funding from John Howard.

Reinforcing my view on Bernie Fraser who came from a poor background in June to rise to be head of Treasury.

The media can do what they like people are not that dumb to get an idea when they hear him, he certainly doesn't come across as an elitist, socialite, from a private school background.A female SMH journo who did a story on him a few months ago, noted he was very basis, and courteous, and completely different to what she expected.
My view he gets things done, you may not like his brash approach but he does it because he believes in the code, which is more than I can say for some of his predecessors.
Steve Rogers a genius on the field and generous off the field.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No education just laying out my views.
I read his background,I have read teh background of all VCEOs since Gallop arrived on the scene.

Fact he never used his junior rugby league experience when he was pushing for Federal finance to assist the racing industry ,which was on its knees ATT.He got the funding from John Howard.

Reinforcing my view on Bernie Fraser who came from a poor background in June to rise to be head of Treasury.

The media can do what they like people are not that dumb to get an idea when they hear him, he certainly doesn't come across as an elitist, socialite, from a private school background.A female SMH journo who did a story on him a few months ago, noted he was very basis, and courteous, and completely different to what she expected.
My view he gets things done, you may not like his brash approach but he does it because he believes in the code, which is more than I can say for some of his predecessors.
Steve Rogers a genius on the field and generous off the field.

It's not all black and white. some things he does I don't mind.

Though I'm cynical when News Ltd journos call him saint Pete and all sing from the same hymn sheet. That gets me very suspicious.

Time will be the judge.

Oh and I don't believe his story about Rogers.....

taipan

Referee
It's not all black and white. some things he does I don't mind.

Though I'm cynical when News Ltd journos call him saint Pete and all sing from the same hymn sheet. That gets me very suspicious.

Time will be the judge.

Oh and I don't believe his story about Rogers.....

Nothing is ever black and white.

All I can go on is what I see, and the results of what he does.None of us are perfect, all with flaws.
Don't place too much faith in News journos, I've seen enough of them in action and hardly help promote the game at times.

If he lied about Rogers, he'll look a goose if he's found out. Nothing to benefit for him to do so.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Nothing is ever black and white.

All I can go on is what I see, and the results of what he does.None of us are perfect, all with flaws.
Don't place too much faith in News journos, I've seen enough of them in action and hardly help promote the game at times.

If he lied about Rogers, he'll look a goose if he's found out. Nothing to benefit for him to do so.

Well he has never mentioned Rogers again.

Let the great man rest in peace.

Kamara

Juniors
I'm down here. We could go to Storm games, support the opposition, and talk about car racing.

Or we could get on the cans go to the MCG watch a game of AFL then walk over the road watch a game of NRL then jump in a cab and head to Kittens.