What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions re Perth and Adelaide (and Wellington for that matter)

Loudstrat

Coach
Regarding the much touted need for clubs in Perth and Adelaide, I have a few questions.

1) What would the average home crowd be?

2) What local TV ratings would it bring?

3) What sponsorship/financial base is there to support a club?

I'd love to see Perth and Adelaide recreate what Newcastle and NQ have done. I don't see it happening, but would love to be convinced otherwise, because if they can, it has to happen.

But only if they can.

bazza

Immortal
Here are my guesses

Regarding the much touted need for clubs in Perth and Adelaide, I have a few questions.

between 9000 - 15000. Around the same as the current lowest crowd pullers in the NRL

None unless the games were shown at a decent time. Foxtel might get a few more subscriptions

Don't know.
There are plenty of large businesses based in WA though

In-goal

Bench
The biggest problem RL will always find is the view most have of the game from a Sydney perspective. If Brisbane was RLHQ there might be a different national perception, as the Broncos are #1 in the game.

One Sydney Club needs to grow quickly and get the average crowds upto 25K just to try and influence the market.

donkey|rope

Juniors

I'd love to see Perth and Adelaide recreate what Newcastle and NQ have done. I don't see it happening, but would love to be convinced otherwise, because if they can, it has to happen.

But only if they can.
how did the afl expand into sydney and brisbane?

Ali's Choice

Juniors
how did the afl expand into sydney and brisbane?

It relocated existing teams to these cities...can't see that being a popular move by the NRL.

The AFL also suffered years of heavy financial losses propping up these teams in both cities until they were able to establish themselves and become viable, independent entities...I'm not sure the NRL could sustain teams in Adelaide and Perth, that were losing money for many years.

IMO their best option would be for a 2nd Kiwi team, or a team on the Central Coast of NSW.

joshreading

Staff member
This will be controversial but give EVERY area (ie Perth/Southern NZ/SQ/CC) the go ahead to enter the NRL given they confirm certain levels of support by 2010.

Thus each area can go to business/goverment/supporters and say WE ARE IN!!!, if we gain these levels of support.

Then give two entry dates 2012 and 2015 - two will enter at each. The best then steps up to the spotlight.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
This will be controversial but give EVERY area (ie Perth/Southern NZ/SQ/CC) the go ahead to enter the NRL given they confirm certain levels of support by 2010.

Thus each area can go to business/goverment/supporters and say WE ARE IN!!!, if we gain these levels of support.

Then give two entry dates 2012 and 2015 - two will enter at each. The best then steps up to the spotlight.

IF the NRL used that kind of system to let the GC in they'd still be playing at Carrara.

Red Bear

Referee
im sorry
Adelaide is a farcial idea
Perth i think could be good and be more successful than melbourne, easily, the Force has (kind of) shown that, imagine when they see real rugby football!

We do, however need at least 5-10 years of stability before considering expansion again. We are just settling down post SL war now and we need a real good base level to improve our game to. Think about more expansion in a while(unless a side relocates) but currently it shouldnt be on the agenda.

For all this talk about AFL and their brave expansion, they have shown that you let the game stabalize then expand again. Last time anything major happened was the (sad) demise of fitzroy and their merger with brisbane, and the introduction of Prt Adelaide and Fremantle in the 95-97 period. They are now again expanding, a good 12+ years on, having given the comp time to settle and these new clubs time to settle in.

Leagues biggest problem was we went for too much at once when expanding 4 sides in the mid 90's.

joshreading

Staff member
Obviously the point is that areas are given the go ahead for a team IF they fullfill certain criteria. It is not hard to put in stadium criteria. All the areas listed could get stadiums up to scratch for the NRL potentially.

If Perth (or anyone else for that matter) were told you will be in if... you get say seven thousand comitted members - a certain amount of sponsorship - local government comittment - stadium (with crucial capacity and quality) and they actually acheived that within a year, would it not be the smart choice to make the move?

In reality this was EXACTLY what was done with the GC in some regards - the NRL said they would be in IF they got a new stadium in the works. The same opportunity should be given to the other areas.

bobmar28

Bench
It relocated existing teams to these cities...can't see that being a popular move by the NRL.

The AFL also suffered years of heavy financial losses propping up these teams in both cities until they were able to establish themselves and become viable, independent entities...I'm not sure the NRL could sustain teams in Adelaide and Perth, that were losing money for many years.

IMO their best option would be for a 2nd Kiwi team, or a team on the Central Coast of NSW.

Kiwi team. CC should only get a team from relocation/merger of Sydney teams.

babyg

Juniors
I really do reckon that the Bulldogs should build a second home in NZ - Cantebury and split their time in each city.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Move a Sydney team to the Central Coast - one of Cronulla, Souths, Roosters or Dogs

Introduce a Perth team - the reds

And then have a second NZ side - wellington or christchurch

Adelaide is a waste of time imo

griffo346

First Grade

But only if they can.

Loudstrat,

I am based in Adelaide and the ground we would have a choice of would be Hindmarsh Stadium (maybe Adelaide Oval)

Hindmarsh - 17,000 Capacity
Adelaide Oval - 25,000 maybe more capacity

so if it goes alright here i would expect 10,000 average

Local TV Ratings

we had average of 75,000 watch the SOO so weekly on that it depends for sunday games as afl goes live here and they have 2 teams and take it in turns weekly. One week its Adelaide the other is Port Adelaide

so i would like to see chan 9 to go into adelaide that will be tops
but yeh if its not shown at a decent time and i cant understand why it cant be. other then that yeh well fox will get more subscriptions for sure

Sponsorship wise

well we have our fair share of those whether they would be interested in league remains to be seen.

example SA Water , AGL etc there all here just have to tap the market also there is mines that may give sponsorships

But realistically will would need some individual that has cash to start you up i would think

But the WA Reds have done well with corp sponsorship

griffo346

First Grade
Move a Sydney team to the Central Coast - one of Cronulla, Souths, Roosters or Dogs

Introduce a Perth team - the reds

And then have a second NZ side - wellington or christchurch

Adelaide is a waste of time imo

FU NKA

Why are we called the National Rugby League when we aint even national

hence the AFL (Australian Football League) thats Australian Wide but 2 states

rabbitohs

Juniors
I am also in Adelaide

1) What would the average home crowd be? - I reckon 10-15k is realistically achievable. A dd a bit of manufactured success like the Storm had and they are trying to do for the Tits then 15k is a definite.

2) What local TV ratings would it bring? - on FTA really quite high SOO is very popular 100kish. Not so hot on Foxtel.

3) What sponsorship/financial base is there to support a club? - there are lots of businesses based in SA that would like the Eastern exposure, particularly mining companies, there are also many local businesses who can't afford the AFL packages who will jump on board. Again though like any other it will require a wealthy backer to get them up and running.

Hindmarsh is ready and perfect for an NRL team.

roopy

Referee
The thing that most people don't factor in is the value an extra market brings to other clubs.
Melbourne is hugely important for sponsership deals for all clubs, because a sponser of the North Queensland cowboys gets their product shown on TV in Melbourne as well as Sydney and Brisbane - and Auckland.
Dragging in an extra 1 million plus city means extra dollars for every club in the league and for naming rights for the NRL and Toyota cup.

The biggest problem RL will always find is the view most have of the game from a Sydney perspective. If Brisbane was RLHQ there might be a different national perception, as the Broncos are #1 in the game.

One Sydney Club needs to grow quickly and get the average crowds upto 25K just to try and influence the market.

yes merkin, tell me how popular SL was again.

joshreading

Staff member
yes merkin, tell me how popular SL was again.

For crying out loud, ignorance is bliss is it? I was no Super League fan (manly fan at the time) but Super League was Super League in everything but reality. It was not the 'vision' in any regard. It was not 'Super' teams spread across the region but weaker than nearly ever.

The fact is the NRL MUST grow or risk falling behind. I do not suggest cutting teams in Sydney BUT the comp needs to be less Sydney Centric in general. (the compromise in my mind is two conferences Sydney based and National)