What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quotes Concerning Dragons & NRL Right Game Right Venue Announcement

Cagey Mac

Bench
I can understand the club’s position.
Population demographic changes have impacted the St George area more than any other in Sydney with the exception of Parramatta and the CBD itself. Population stats place Aussie born supporters in the St George area at the mid thirtieth percentile whilst Sydney on the whole is close to seventy percent.

The Dragons, in the opinion of most, have close to the broadest geographic support base so the logic would be that far flung supporters would perhaps visit major venues for big clashes. Not all supporters can easily make it to the WIN grounds so who knows. I agree that ANZ sucks but the SFS is a bloody good ground for watching footy.

This is a vexed question for the club and I think that the overall good of the club is at the forefront of their decision making process

What has been done isn’t working and one of Einstein’s definitions for insanity was to keep doing the same things and expecting different results

All that said however. If the Sharks move out of the district then the situation changes dramatically. Having another club sucking away at your traditional fan base (in the good old days) is an impost that was undeserved and perhaps a legacy of our glorious eleven in a row.

_Johnsy

Referee
The idea does hold some merit. As stated people will take time to adjust. I don't believe that we automatically get better crowds at home games. I remember getting a bog awful crowd weeks out from the finals in 2010, or was it 2009 ?? also average home semi crowds.

If it is good for our club in the long run then I am all for it.

Mr Red

First Grade
ANZ is poorly designed full stop.Instead of the main stands almost touching the sky,the ends shoul;d have had more seating and creating a bowl shape.
Having 6 levels on either side and 1 level on the ends,the architect is a goose.

and no roof... which you think would be mandatory to protect the playing surface from poor weather conditions given the increased amount of matches they plan to play there under the new model...

saint.nick

Coach
and no roof... which you think would be mandatory to protect the playing surface from poor weather conditions given the increased amount of matches they plan to play there under the new model...

They're building a roof on ANZ stadium.

jubbsy

Juniors
Get with the times people, this is called progress. Stop living in the past.[/QUOTE]

Playing at the SCG is living in the past

It was a special occasion that one. This is all about money nothing else. I coarse I would love to go to Kogarah 3pm every sunday, those days a now gone. I would have preferred if they sent all the gong games to ANZ, as we know the Illawarra camp don't turn up to game much.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That article in post #1 is just quotes... here's the actual club release:

The St George Illawarra Dragons on Monday announced a strategic initiative with the NRL that will stamp key Dragons games as some of the biggest events of the season.

In the same way the Dragons helped transform the annual ANZAC Day match, the Club is working with the NRL to build annual events in a “Right Game, Right Venue” strategy, creating an exciting atmosphere for Red V Members and fans and strengthening the Club for the future.

The initiative will see the Dragons commit to playing four of their twelve home games (including the existing ANZAC Day game) annually at Sydney’s major stadia: Allianz Stadium, the Sydney Cricket Ground and ANZ Stadium, over the next four years.

The Dragons will retain eight home games per season at the traditional venues of WIN Jubilee Oval, Kogarah and WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

As part of the plan, the NRL and the Dragons are looking to establish an annual Heritage Round clash with the South Sydney Rabbitohs at the SCG as well as the opportunity to create marquee events around matches involving clubs such as the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs, Wests Tigers, Parramatta Eels and Sydney Roosters, who are already committed to these venues.

The strategy will be underpinned by the commercial investment of the major venues and a commitment from the NRL to work closely with the Clubs and Venues to create annual marquee events.

The arrangements will deliver a multiplier effect for the Dragons and their Red V Members and Corporate Partners, with reciprocal entitlements, new market opportunities and additional capacity providing a growth platform that also enables the Club to minimise the pressures on the costs of Membership and ticketing.

The initiative recognises the need to maintain traditional venues but to also ensure that the game has the capacity to attract new Members and fans.

This initiative is a key element of the Dragons strategic plan and provides a platform for future growth within the Club’s business model, ensuring this iconic Rugby League Brand can remain at the forefront of the game.

The new venue model is about ensuring long-term sustainability whilst maintaining a balance with the Club's traditions.

“We are looking to be the major player in what will be a game-wide strategy going forward,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust.

“If we are going to grow Membership and attendances we are going to require additional capacity, and the NSW State Government has made it clear that it will only invest in major venues, moving forward.
“We will always be committed to our region and our traditions, however we also want all our Members and fans to be able to see the biggest games of the year, and to receive increased benefits.

“This decision has been based on a platform for economic enhancement and growth capability, leading to long term financial sustainability."

National Rugby League Chief Executive Dave Smith said the Dragons were taking the opportunity to grow and to ensure the Club remained strong in the future:

“They have really thought this through and it is a smart move," said Smith.

“Any change will take some adjustment but they have a clear aim to build a big match atmosphere around the key matches and that is what we all need to work towards.

“At the same time there remains a strong commitment to their traditional venues.”

The “Right Game, Right Venue” approach is in line with both the long term NRL strategy and the NSW Government’s planned future investment in major Sydney venues.

The NRL and the Dragons are working with the NSW State Government seeking to provide integrated transport with ticketing for all attendees of games under the "Right Game, Right Venue" strategy.

When the 2014 Telstra Premiership Draw is finalised in coming weeks, the Dragons will launch a revised Red V Memberships program providing access to ticketing across all five home venues and additional reciprocal ticketing opportunities to attend away games against selected Sydney teams who share those venues.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Dragons--NRL-Announce-Right-Game-Right-Venue/87458

saint.nick

Coach
good news... when does this happen?
i know they have been talking about it since the stadium has been built... but no definite answer on funding or start dates?

Not quite sure. As I mentioned before, it's part of a massive upgrade to ANZ stadium and it's precinct, to make it more rectangular and more entertaining for fans. It was all over the paper a while ago this year, and it looked quite impressive. Here's a tele article about it:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-government-plan/story-fni0cx12-1226672823616

Unfortunately that article doesn't mention any possible start date. Here's an SMH article about it:

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/nsw/anz-stadium-revamp-20130702-2p8hf.html?selectedImage=2

Mr Red

First Grade
Not quite sure. As I mentioned before, it's part of a massive upgrade to ANZ stadium and it's precinct, to make it more rectangular and more entertaining for fans. It was all over the paper a while ago this year, and it looked quite impressive. Here's a tele article about it:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-government-plan/story-fni0cx12-1226672823616

Unfortunately that article doesn't mention any possible start date. Here's an SMH article about it:

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/nsw/anz-stadium-revamp-20130702-2p8hf.html?selectedImage=2

nice one. thanks.

you would assume this would be a priority given the proposed increased usage of the ground... here's hoping!

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
Well I will have to renew Foxtel now.Going to ANZ to watch League is like revisiting the previous activity once was performed there.

ABATTIOR. or (SLAUGHTERHOUSE)

Maybe the death of the Dragons.:crazy:

LANCELOT:BDH:

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Just my 2 cents worth...

This could lead to the demise of both our home grounds in the years ahead.

a.) We already have 2 home grounds, which like it or not, alienates some fans. (travel)

b.) We will now have a 33% split between "home" grounds.

c.) Forget 2013, history shows the home advantage is very real in results.

d.) There is no assuarance that OUR fans (not the opposition), will attend in good numbers.

e.) The home separation between brand and ground, could ultimately lead to crowds at our traditional home dropping to under 10k per game. Message comes from NRL " not good enough".

f.) Look at the past few years of succesfull clubs, and winning edges.

Manly = Brooky.
Strom = that thing in Mel.
Chooks = SFS
Broncos = Suncorp
Newcastle = Energy Oz.
The list goes on.

Yes we need to move with the times, but give me Kogarah / WIN at 80% capacity each week, rather than looking at vacant seats in the background.

TruSaint

Referee
Well I will have to renew Foxtel now.Going to ANZ to watch League is like revisiting the previous activity once was performed there.

ABATTIOR. or (SLAUGHTERHOUSE)

Maybe the death of the Dragons.:crazy:

LANCELOT:BDH:

Sir, thats what they want... Foxtel rev. / TCN 9 etc.

jubbsy

Juniors
Just my 2 cents worth...

This could lead to the demise of both our home grounds in the years ahead.

a.) We already have 2 home grounds, which like it or not, alienates some fans. (travel)

b.) We will now have a 33% split between "home" grounds.

c.) Forget 2013, history shows the home advantage is very real in results.

d.) There is no assuarance that OUR fans (not the opposition), will attend in good numbers.

e.) The home separation between brand and ground, could ultimately lead to crowds at our traditional home dropping to under 10k per game. Message comes from NRL " not good enough".

f.) Look at the past few years of succesfull clubs, and winning edges.

Manly = Brooky.
Strom = that thing in Mel.
Chooks = SFS
Broncos = Suncorp
Newcastle = Energy Oz.
The list goes on.

Yes we need to move with the times, but give me Kogarah / WIN at 80% capacity each week, rather than looking at vacant seats in the background.

Souths & Bulldogs? Your comparison should only include sydney teams.

jubbsy

Juniors
The Leagues club is rat shit, but rather than re-invent it we'll just sellout our heritage and play in cavernous holes for money instead.

This saddens me. I enjoy the experience of simply watching Saints at our home, both Kogarah and WIN, whether we win or lose. Maybe I'm overly sentimental. The heritage of our home is one the reasons driving this silly lifelong fandom of mine. But next year the concept of Jubilee and WIN being our home is dead - we're simply visiting.

Poor attitude. You could always go and support the rooters, you will fit right in.

TruSaint

Referee
Souths and Bulldogs have ONE home ground dont they ?
That is a given.

Im talking about losing any home ground advantage.

Why should my comparison only include Sydney teams ?
The facts speak for themselves.

And by the way, Manly and Easts are Sydney teams.

By dilluting your home base has results... Just ask Mick Potter.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Souths & Bulldogs? Your comparison should only include sydney teams.

Souths and Bulldogs have ONE home ground dont they ?
That is a given.

Im talking about losing any home ground advantage.

Why should my comparison only include Sydney teams ?
The facts speak for themselves.

And by the way, Manly and Easts are Sydney teams.

By dilluting your home base has results... Just ask Mick Potter.

Latest posts