What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R 17 V raiders.

BLM01

First Grade
oh good. Canberra are fired up for midnight Sunday night kick off....and the Dragons response is
"Our focus will be on what we can control not them"
"Who cares what they throw at us we know we can beat any team if we all individually focus on our roles and stick to our game plan"
"We know this is a must win game, as is the next, and the next and the next and the next and the next and the next and the next before we drop one before going into the semis but.... not sure we have the coach"

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Todays team list, what are we expecting?
I guess we can list 23 given SOO players may or may not back up.

I'm guessing McGregor will go for:
1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5 Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T. Sims
12. Frizzel
13. K. Sims

14. Robson
15. Leilua
16. Latimore
17. Kaufusi/Allgood
18. Allgood/Kaufusi
19. Kerr
20. Nichols
21. Field
22. Host
23. Ford

I hope i'm wrong

BLM01

First Grade

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5 Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T. Sims
12. Frizzel
13. K. Sims

14. Robson
15. Leilua
16. Latimore
17. Kaufusi/Allgood
18. Allgood/Kaufusi
19. Kerr
20. Nichols
21. Field
22. Host
23. Ford

I hope i'm wrong
Who cares now if they back up. and will be playing less games than 8 other sides at the end of the year.
They have had 2 byes essentially this year SOO fatigue this year can not be an excuse. Vaughan played half a game in SOO 2. Fizzell played half a game in SOO1. This will be the 2nd game only they have had to back up in under the 5 day turn around anyway.
Hunt probably the only one that may suffer the big F word.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons v Raiders: Round 17 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 9 Jul 2019, 09:00 AM

For everything we've read about the struggles endured by the Dragons in 2019, they're just two points adrift of eighth spot.

With Origin now in the rear-vision mirror the Dragons will be hoping Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Tyson Frizell and Paul Vaughan return from Origin III in good health and ready to kick-start at run at the finals.

In recent years the last 10 rounds haven't been kind to Paul McGregor's side. They need to turn that around if they're to keep playing beyond round 25.

As for the Raiders, they need to rediscover to the form they displayed over the opening six weeks.

In the next three weeks, they face teams sitting outside the top eight after round 16 (Dragons, Wests Tigers, Panthers). If they're able to get six points from that stretch a top-four finish is there for the taking.

Match: Dragons v Raiders

Round 17 - Sunday 14th July

6:10pm

Home Team

Dragons

12th Position

Away Team

Raiders

4th Position

Venue: WIN Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
Two fullbacks who can take over with their speed collide in Matthew Dufty and Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad. Dufty has shown he has the ability to break a game open, whilst Nicoll-Klokstad has been a standout for the Raiders this season and tops the competition in run metres and kick return metres.

For the Dragons to win
After the way the Raiders fell away as the game went on in their loss to the Eels in Round 15, the Dragons will be thinking that the longer they're in the contest the better their chances will become. Self-doubt has been the factor for the Raiders for parts of each of the last few seasons.

For the Raiders to win
The Raiders are making the most of a great all-round kicking game. They lead the NRL in total kicks and kick metres while holding a share of top spot when it comes to 40/20 kicks. When combined with their strong running game out of dummy half, it's a good platform for success.

Brett Kimmorley says
I’ve got no idea why they have the Dragons as favourites. The Raiders have been very good this year. They have minimal affect from State of Origin and will have a better preparation than the Dragons will. For the Dragons, Cameron McInnes was amazing for them last week, I thought he had his best game of the season. The Dragons may be heavily affected by Origin while the Raiders will have a cruisey preparation. Raiders by 8

Stat Attack
It's not the prettiest play in the world, but the Raiders are proving the kings of dummy-half runs in 2019. Their total of 250 is a whopping 47 more than second-best South Sydney. The Dragons have 136 dummy-half runs at the same stage of the year.

And another thing ...
The Dragons have 260 ineffective tackles credited against them, 55 more than the Raiders. Such a stat will have the hard-running Raiders outside backs thinking they could be in for a bountiful haul in Wollongong.

Dragons v Raiders
What will be the result of their round 17 clash?

Dragons v Raiders What will be the result of their round 17 clash?
  • Dragons 1-10
    17%
  • Dragons 11+
    5%
  • Raiders 1-10
    44%
  • Raiders 11+
    34%
1,191 Votes

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/09/dragons-v-raiders-round-17-preview/

SBD82

Coach

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5 Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T. Sims
12. Frizzel
13. K. Sims

14. Robson
15. Leilua
16. Latimore
17. Kaufusi/Allgood
18. Allgood/Kaufusi
19. Kerr
20. Nichols
21. Field
22. Host
23. Ford

I hope i'm wrong
My guess:

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Tariq
12. Host
13. Frizell
14. Robson/Field
15. Korbin
16. Latimore
17. Kaufusi/Leilua

Having said that, I thought Kerr did enough last week to displace Latimore. I’d have Field over Robson as cover for the two SOO halves that are backing up, and I’d have Kaufusi over Leilua so that we can have a proper look at him, and because Luc continues to be a defensive liability.

to_ddeath

Coach

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5 Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T. Sims
12. Frizzel
13. K. Sims

14. Robson
15. Leilua
16. Latimore
17. Kaufusi/Allgood
18. Allgood/Kaufusi
19. Kerr
20. Nichols
21. Field
22. Host
23. Ford

I hope i'm wrong

You're probably right.
All the SOOs will back up, Mehry needs a credible loss at worst to protect his ego for another week.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Is Latimore available? Heard that there were concerns of a suspected fractured jaw following the Storm game?

1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5 Ravalawa
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T. Sims
12. Frizzel
13. K. Sims

14. Robson
15. Leilua
16. Latimore
17. Kaufusi/Allgood
18. Allgood/Kaufusi
19. Kerr
20. Nichols
21. Field
22. Host
23. Ford

I hope i'm wrong
Our backline still is a glaring mismatch with Canberra.

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinness.jpg

DRAGONS

Stat attack: Round 17 v Raiders
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 9 Jul 2019, 12:35 PM

The Canberra Raiders will travel to Wollongong this weekend for the first time since the Dragons ended a 10-year home game hoodoo against the green machine.

From 2003 to 2013, the Raiders dominated the Dragons winning 15 of 16 meetings. However, since a drought-breaking win in 2014, the Dragons have balanced the scales with five wins in their past six games against the men from the nation's capital.

There isn't much separating these two teams with the ball in hand. Although the Dragons have more line breaks (62 to Canberra's 58), tackle breaks (389 to Canberra's 364) and offloads (124 to Canberra's 103).

The Raiders trump the Red V however in terms of producing the most dummy half runs of any team (250) and most kicks (333) including three 40/20s.

Defence has been the Raiders' bread and butter in 2019, and it's here where Ricky Stuart's men have an advantage over the Dragons.

The Raiders have the second-best defence competition-wide (conceded 222 points). On the flip side, the Dragons have conceded 329 points (third-worst competition wide).

Completion rate remains as crucial as ever given each team have the equal-fourth highest sets completed competition-wide (78 per cent).

Danger man
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Coming into the 2019 season as a relative unknown, Nicoll-Klokstad has announced himself as a game-breaker

Nicoll-Klokstad had previously played seven games for the New Zealand Warriors, where he scored seven tries. Now with regular starting position at his disposal, Nicoll-Klokstad has produced six tries, 65 tackle breaks and averages 175 running metres.

He also leads the competition in kick return metres (1,015) and has the third-most running metres of any player (2,634).

Key matchups
Jacob Host v John Bateman

Since making the trip to Canberra from the English Super League, John Bateman has become one of the most active back-rowers in the competition. On the contrary, Dragon Jacob Host will be determined to compete at the same level.

Bateman has made a big impact in his 12 appearances this season, notching up three tries and three line break assists while busting 48 tackles.

Host is also enjoying a career year in the NRL, with one try and 1279 total running metres.

The contest between these two hard-working forwards could be enough to influence the outcome of the match.

Cameron McInnes v Josh Hodgson

As co-captains of their respective clubs, McInnes and Hodgson will leave it all out on the field on Sunday.

McInnes is an ever-reliable workhorse who continues to flourish under the captaincy responsibility. In 2019, McInnes already has equalled his try-scoring tally of last season (three) and proven himself as one of the best defenders in the competition (82 missed tackles of 3,091 attempts in the past three years).

Hodgson's capabilities are nothing to shirk though either, given the England international has forced eight dropouts and produced three try assists in what has been an injury-riddled campaign.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/09/stat-attack-round-17-v-raiders/

getsmarty

Immortal
TripADeal team announcement: Round 17 v Raiders
Author
Timestamp
Tue 9 Jul 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named a 23-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 17 clash against the Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, July 14.

Corey Norman has been named to back up from his State of Origin debut for Queensland at five-eighth. Jai Field has been omitted from the squad.

Tariq Sims's return from suspension has caused a reshuffle in the forward pack which has led to his brother Korbin being named on the bench and fellow front-rower Mitchell Allgood left out of the squad.

Home Team

Dragons

12th Position

Away Team

Raiders

4th Position

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan (both New South Wales) and Ben Hunt have been named in the reserves in hope they'll make it through Origin III unscathed, while James Graham (broken leg) is another who could potentially play.

Tristan Sailor and Jason Saab have also been named in the wider squad and could potentially make their NRL debuts against the Raiders.

"Hopefully we build on Storm performance"- Darren Nicholls

NRL squad for Round 17 v Canberra Raiders –

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jonus Pearson – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Tosich Group
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Darren Nicholls – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
11. Jacob Host – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by EFEX

Interchange:
14. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
15. Reece Robson – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
16. Patrick Kaufusi – sponsored by Domus Lighting
17. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
18. Tristan Sailor
19. Jason Saab
20. James Graham
21. Ben Hunt
22. Paul Vaughan
23. Tyson Frizell

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/09/tripadeal-team-announcement-round-17-v-raiders/

jeffdragon

Bench
Graham named on an extended bench.If not back this week definitely the week after
Hope all our origin guys back up,so Nicholls, lats Robson and Kerr will drop out.

getsmarty

Immortal
n-cotric-190504074kc.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Behind enemy lines: Round 17
Author
Timestamp
Tue 9 Jul 2019, 04:04 PM

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named a 21-man squad to face the St George Illawarra Dragons at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, July 14.

Nick Cotric (ankle) returns in the centres for Sebastian Kris in an otherwise unchanged line-up following their last start loss to the Parramatta Eels in Darwin.

Home Team

Dragons

12th Position

Away Team

Raiders

4th Position

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
Raiders NRL squad for Round 17 v St George Illawarra Dragons:

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Nick Cotric
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Dunamis Lui
11. John Bateman
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

Interchange:
14. Siliva Havili15. Corey Horsburgh16. Sia Soliola17. Ryan Sutton
18. Sam Williams
19. Michael Oldfield
20. Royce Hunt
21. Emre Guler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/09/behind-enemy-lines-round-17/

getsmarty

Immortal
Field not named in a 23 man squad with both halfs playing Origin

Canterbury cup team......

Canterbury Cup team: Round 17 v Mounties –

1. Jai Field
2. Jason Saab
3. Lachlan Maranta
4. Steven Marsters
5. Shaun Sauni-Esau
6. Zeik Foster
7. Adam Clune
8. Topiese Taufa
9. Joe Lovodua
10. Lachlan Timm
11. Charly Runciman
12. Jackson Ford
13. Mitch Allgood

Interchange:

14. Eli Levido
15. Shalom O'Ofou
16. Jayden Morgan
18. Luke Gale

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/09/canterbury-cup-team-round-17-v-mounties/

Latest posts