What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R 17 V raiders.

George Dragon

Juniors
Canterbury cup team......

Canterbury Cup team: Round 17 v Mounties –

1. Jai Field
2. Jason Saab
3. Lachlan Maranta
4. Steven Marsters
5. Shaun Sauni-Esau
6. Zeik Foster
7. Adam Clune
8. Topiese Taufa
9. Joe Lovodua
10. Lachlan Timm
11. Charly Runciman
12. Jackson Ford
13. Mitch Allgood

Interchange:

14. Eli Levido
15. Shalom O'Ofou
16. Jayden Morgan
18. Luke Gale

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/09/canterbury-cup-team-round-17-v-mounties/
Yeah I realise that, point being he seems to be overlook

TruSaint

Referee
Field has had enough opportunities to show his value but unfortunately IMO he has shown that he isn't up to 1st grade level.

he has been poor granted, but how any first grade games has he been afforded ?

Not saying he's first grade quality, hell most of our backline isnt, just would like to judge him after real stint in the 1sts's .

kit66

Bench
Field not named in a 23 man squad with both halfs playing Origin

After last weeks performance you'd hope not to see him in firsts again no matter who's unavailable.
He's useless. Any half that gets tackled on the last 3 times in one game needs to look at other career options.

Crush

Coach
I thought exactly the same thing and given who our coach is, there's a high probability this is exactly what occurred.
Yeah nah.
Can't blame the coach for Field being ordinary, he is ordinary in reserve grade also.
I've watched him a fair bit since he was touted as a gun by Fittler a couple of years ago. I reckon I have seen him play about 10 CC games and the 4 NRL games. He is very average IMO and we can do much better. He is a fast runner and has a good step.

TruSaint

Referee
Yeah nah.
Can't blame the coach for Field being ordinary, he is ordinary in reserve grade also.
I've watched him a fair bit since he was touted as a gun by Fittler a couple of years ago. I reckon I have seen him play about 10 CC games and the 4 NRL games. He is very average IMO and we can do much better. He is a fast runner and has a good step.

We are not flushed with talent in the backline.
I can just see the uproar if we let him go without really testing him at first grade level.

Out of interest what does Dufty offer ( fast and a good step as u say above ), after 40 odd games. that Jai doesn't in 4 games ?

Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen as much of Field as you have, so i respect your views, but I find it hard to judge him in a poor season, playing under Mary with limited chances.

Crush

Coach
We are not flushed with talent in the backline.
I can just see the uproar if we let him go without really testing him at first grade level.

Out of interest what does Dufty offer ( fast and a good step as u say above ), after 40 odd games. that Jai doesn't in 4 games ?

Don't get me wrong, I haven't seen as much of Field as you have, so i respect your views, but I find it hard to judge him in a poor season, playing under Mary with limited chances.
I saw a lot more upside in Dufty on the weekend than Field.
People say anything Dufty can do Field can do better but I don't buy that.
I'm not saying Dufty isn't without issues but I've seen moments of brilliance from Dufty at least. From Field all I see is a turnstile in defense that crabs sideways and comes up with poor decisions when under pressure.

TruSaint

Referee
I saw a lot more upside in Dufty on the weekend than Field.
People say anything Dufty can do Field can do better but I don't buy that.
I'm not saying Dufty isn't without issues but I've seen moments of brilliance from Dufty at least. From Field all I see is a turnstile in defense that crabs sideways and comes up with poor decisions when under pressure.

Cheers,

I will give Jai a chance a little longer before I judge him. I remember full well the term " turnstile" being used about Matt. Still is.

Personally, I have no preference, but since Dufty has been given a few seasons, I would like Field to be given at least half.

Agree re last game, Dufty was much better and Field was poor. However thats one game. Enjoy your night.

George Dragon

Juniors
Yeah nah.
Leaving aside a whether he is FG standard or not coaching must have something to do with the kicking and 5th option.
I've watch Field a lot too 25 games or so and when playing half he regularly kicks the ball half a dozen times for around 200m.
4 games in FG 3 kicks.
Game plan last week to Field don't kick to Vinivalu. Team give it to Nicolls kick to Earl.
That said I don't think there is any need to have Dufty Field and Sailor all at the club they are essential the same player.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Can someone tell me why McGregor hasn't just named the origin guys in the run on 13?
I mean, is he actually pretending that he may rest these guys or something ridiculous?
Look at storms named 13, all the origin boys in that team.
As if we would rest them with our needing 8 wins or something stupid on the run home.
Mary is such a flog.

jeffdragon

Bench
Also Shaun Johnson is like field a little. Probably a better touch footballer.
He seems to play his best for NZ
I know Dufty has his faults but Think of the ANZAC Day try and the others he has scored, who else in our team has scored anything like that..