What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R. Packer

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Never enough money....

But being someone who actually works in the public service in NZ... And deals with ex pat Australians on an almost daily basis...

I can tell you the notion of us paying to reimburse your sentences is laughable...

Australians have far, far more rights here than Kiwis do in Australia.
This benevolence on behalf of the nz taxpayer is truely heartwarming.

Care to share (I assume you have access to the figures being a 'public servant' and all) just how many ex pat recipients of this generosity you are talking about?

Meanwhile the Australian taxpayers are burdened with the high cost of dealing with and housing nz prisoners followed up by the expense of deporting them. I assure you the disparity is high.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/9585946/Aussies-deport-hundreds-of-Kiwis

carcharias

Immortal
how many ex pat Aussie's would there seriously be in NZ?

It would be f**k all in comparison to the dumb arse Kiwi pisshead deadshits over here.
I know they are deadshits because they are in my f**king family.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Well I have seen a figure of round 600K living in oz. But according to shiznit they are getting a raw deal over here so go figure why they stay.

chewsta

First Grade
I doubt many Aussies go over to NZ without jobs and pack 15 into a house.

HAHAHA!!! Ive got relo's in the Mt Druitt area and Ellsworth Drive, in Tregear is a hillarious example of this. There are houses full of islanders all up and down the street with 8 or 9 cars parked on the front lawn and multiple sets of bunk beds set up under the carports on the front driveweay! its insane how many of the farkers squeeze into these house-o houses!!!

Ide hate to be lining up for the bathroom busting for a shit!

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Interesting development here. This victim claims it was in fact a "King Hit" something Packers lawyer claimed was not the case.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11183293

The young man assaulted by NRL player Russell Packer says he didn't provoke the attack.
Enoka Time, also known as Lester, has spoken out exclusively to the Herald for the first time since Packer, 24, was handed a two-year jail sentence by a Sydney magistrate this week.
Mr Time grew up in Auckland and has been living in Sydney for the past few years, after scoring a contract to play at a league club as a teenager.
He and Packer did not know each other.
"I only knew of him but we weren't friends or anything like that."
Mr Time said he and two female friends had been smoking outside a nightclub in November. Not far from them was a group of young men, including Packer, who had earlier been asked to leave the Chambers Hotel nightclub.

"This random guy - apparently Packer's mate - walked over and asked one of the girls for a smoke. She said, 'Nah'.
"Then Packer walked over and snatched the ciggies off her ... I go: 'What are you up to? Give the ciggies back.'
"I stood up and then bang, (Packer) hit me straight away. I didn't stand up to have a fight or throw any punches. I was pretty drunk that night and so was he."
Court documents show that the incident was captured on CCTV footage.
The documents say the footage shows the pair arguing before the NRL star punches the left side of Mr Time's head. "The accused moved in and punched the victim again a number of times to the head. This caused the victim to fall backwards to the ground, hitting his head on the ground.
"The victim was lying motionless ... the accused has bent down and punched the victim again with his left hand in an uppercut motion. He then stood up straight and stomped on the victim's face."
Mr Time suffered two fractures on the side of his face, including a broken eye socket, lacerations and severe bruising. He was left in a neck brace for two weeks.
Mr Time, who never pressed for charges to be laid, said he felt Packer's sentence was tough on his family. He regrets posting a Facebook status with unfavourable jail references about the player, saying it was fuelled by anger.
"Even though he did that to me, I honestly feel for his Mrs and kids."
Mr Time said he had refrained from retaliating during the incident because he did not want to put his contract at risk or upset his family back in New Zealand.
An appeal by Packer will be heard on February 11.
Read more by Vaimoana Tapaleao

chewsta

First Grade
Well if thats all on CCTV then 2 years is not enough

Totally agree Reef! disgraceful act stomping on an unconscious persons face.
Its bad enough that he knocked the bloke out cold for no reason but continuing to go on with it when the bloke is unconscious is attempting to kill in my eyes.

chewsta

First Grade
Unfortunately you are right Frenz.
He will do his time easily and be looked after.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9593930/Packer-got-poor-Warriors-character-reference

Packer got poor Warriors character reference

AARON LAWTON AND CHRIS BARCLAY
javascript:window.print();
javascript:alterStoryTextSize();

Last updated 05:03 10/01/2014

9488284.jpg
PETER MEECHAM/Fairfax NZ
NO MORE NRL: Russell Packer's contract registration rejected.

Security camera footage of Russell Packer's drunken attack on an ex-pat New Zealander helped convince the NRL not to register his playing contract with the Newcastle Knights, while the Kiwis prop also received a less-than-flattering character assessment from his former club.
Details of the NRL's investigation into Packer's assault of a 22-year-old Aucklander in the Sydney CBD in November emerged yesterday, as the father of two remained in custody pending an appeal against a two-year jail term imposed on Monday.
The NRL refused to register Packer's four-year contract with the Knights - a deal thought to be worth A$1 million (NZ$1.077m) - last month, before the 24-year-old pleaded guilty to assaulting Enoka Lester Time.
NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle - a former CEO of the New Zealand Rugby League - broke the organisation's silence while holidaying in New Zealand, saying discussions with police and feedback from the Warriors formed the basis of the decision.
"When the incident occurred, we got hold of the police, we talked to them, we got all the facts, the police report and we obviously contacted his previous club, the Warriors, and asked them for a report," said Doyle, who also heads the NRL's Integrity Unit.
"If we have an incident with a player, we ask for his previous history as anyone would do. We got that from the Warriors and we felt that he wasn't a fit and proper person to be registered."
Packer played 110 games for the Warriors over six seasons and never faced criminal charges while at Mt Smart, although his final year was tarnished when he was caught urinating on Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium before a game against the Broncos last June - an indiscretion that drew a $A15,000 fine.
Failing to register Packer's contract would have forced the front rower to sit out the 2014 season - barring a change of heart by the NRL - though that stand down is likely to be superseded by the judicial system of New South Wales.
Unless Packer's legal team succeeds in overturning or significantly reducing his sentence when an appeal is considered on February 11, the two-test Kiwi international's career is effectively over.
If the sentence stands or even if it is reduced to 12 months, Packer will fail the Department of Immigration and Border Security's character test and have his special category visa - for New Zealanders living in Australia - cancelled under section 501 of the Migration Act 1958.

New Zealand citizens in Australian prisons automatically have their cases assessed nearing the end of their sentences, though if the term is a year or more a department spokesperson said they would be deported "barring an unusual set of circumstances."
The NRL has the power to take further action against Packer though Doyle said that was dependent on the court process.
"He has admitted guilt, and now they are still going through the process to finalise what the sentence will be.
"We will wait and see how that evolves."
Meanwhile, Time spoke publicly for the first time yesterday, telling The New Zealand Herald he was punched by Packer following a dispute over cigarettes.
Time, who was in a neck brace for a fortnight after being stomped on the face, said he did not retaliate when punched and never asked for charges to be laid.
He said he regretted posting a Facebook status update with unfavourable jail references about Packer - a reaction that drew condemnation from supporters of his assailant.
"Even though he did that to me, I honestly feel for his missus and kids," he said.
- © Fairfax NZ News

chewsta

First Grade
what a wasted opportunity. I feel for Packers wife and kids too.
Dont know why people would be giving the other bloke grief. He has every right to voice his opinion about what happened, Ive seen his statuses and they arent even that bad. I would have been a lot more vocal than what he wrote. I would have also pressed all the charges I could against the grub.