What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R11 | Knights 18-31 Broncos @ Hunter | Monday 7.00pm

Round 11 result :: Knights vs Broncos

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
Warriors A
Raiders H
BYE
Sharks H
Broncos A
BYE
Raiders A
Titans H
Souths A

Might be a good chance against the Raiders since they'll be favourites... ah who am I kidding.

Noname36

First Grade
Another thing I found seriously concerning was the total lack of leadership on the field without Scott, Smith and Mullen - particularly after Gidley went off. We had a terrible start to the second half with Vaivai's miss and then they just seemed to be going through the motions and letting the Broncos have the momentum after that. There wasn't anyone that stood up and tried to fire them up to change the momentum. I don't think things would have gotten as bad tonight with some leadership. Mullen really needs to stand up and lead next year like he did as captain in 2013 because nobody out there tonight was putting their hand up.

perverse

Referee
Another thing I found seriously concerning was the total lack of leadership on the field without Scott, Smith and Mullen - particularly after Gidley went off. We had a terrible start to the second half with Vaivai's miss and then they just seemed to be going through the motions and letting the Broncos have the momentum after that. There wasn't anyone that stood up and tried to fire them up to change the momentum. I don't think things would have gotten as bad tonight with some leadership. Mullen really needs to stand up and lead next year like he did as captain in 2013 because nobody out there tonight was putting their hand up.
If there's one thing you know you will get from Mullen, it is effort. He doesn't get enough wraps for his effort, imo. Always puts in, even when the numpties around him are screwing everything up. We definitely had no leaders left once Gids went off tonight. Gids was uncharacteristically good tonight, actually.

mozza91

Coach
So was I. But when I got back was waiting for your posts critising us for overreacting about how bad we are.

We're shit no doubt about. But I swear there are people who enjoying it. Someone mentioned about being realistic not pessimistic but some on here are definitely pessimistic.
It's just abit over the top at times, like people making statements about going to games just to boo players or stop supporting the team in general. That's not on imo.
I do apologise for calling them entitled wankers though, tbh I was about 15 schooners deep at the time.

Nuffy

Bench
So I drive from Sydney to Newcastle and plonk myself down into my seat.

I am pleasantly surprised that the Knights played an up tempo expansive game for 35 mins and credit where due, the Sims boys lead the way, Randell was good, Gids was good and Tyrone was dynamic.

Then I see House try and barge over on the 5 tackle, so instead of getting another 6 tackles, the Bronco's march 100 metres and score a try with a minute to half time. Its 18-10 and I am thinking that we might be a chance.

Then VaiVai shows why he's not FG standard and House gives away one of his mandatory 2-3 penalties per game and at the 45 minute mark its 22-18 and we are done.

Some thoughts in no particular order.

We have zero depth in the club. Bronco's have 9 missing and yet any of their replacement players would be a certain starter in our best team. VaiVai and Newton were embarassing and they are the best we have.

Its amazing that after kicking the 20th mid field bomb, and it not working, we reverted to kicking mid field bombs.

The team is the dumbest football team in the comp, we just keep making simple mistakes and gifting the opposition field position and tries.

I just don't see the hype about Sione, he isn't super fast, doesn't have amazing feet, isn't the biggest, can't seem to position his winger. For the next big thing, he sure has issues compared to other young players.

Uate - The less said the better, his retention on massive money is a joke. He has no positional sense, can't tackle one on one and isn't breaking the line. What exactly is his contributing.

Our backline can't execute a simple backline movement at speed. Bronco's just shifted it left and busted us at will.

We don't look fit, the Bronco's lifted the tempo in the second half and we couldn't go with them.

Bennett was right in not endorsing Stone as the players won't play for him and he can't get the best out of them.

2016 will be worse than 2015. We are losing depth and haven't added any quality.

Why after leading at half time with a game plan that works, do we try and out arm wrestle a Bennett team, are we that stupid..................... answer - YES.

Fun fact for the night, Bennett has a very poor coaching record against his former team, he'd only won 4 of 19 games against his former teams. Of course we bucked that trend.

I walked out of the stadium, I wasn't angry, I wasn't disappointed as I have very low expectations now but I reflected on a club that is slowly dying.

Spot On

Coach

I am pleasantly surprised that the Knights played an up tempo expansive game for 35 mins and credit where due, the Sims boys lead the way, Randell was good, Gids was good and Tyrone was dynamic.

Then I see House try and barge over on the 5 tackle, so instead of getting another 6 tackles, the Bronco's march 100 metres and score a try with a minute to half time. Its 18-10 and I am thinking that we might be a chance.

Then VaiVai shows why he's not FG standard and House gives away one of his mandatory 2-3 penalties per game and at the 45 minute mark its 22-18 and we are done.

We have zero depth in the club. Bronco's have 9 missing and yet any of their replacement players would be a certain starter in our best team. VaiVai and Newton were embarassing and they are the best we have.

Its amazing that after kicking the 20th mid field bomb, and it not working, we reverted to kicking mid field bombs.

The team is the dumbest football team in the comp, we just keep making simple mistakes and gifting the opposition field position and tries.

I just don't see the hype about Sione, he isn't super fast, doesn't have amazing feet, isn't the biggest, can't seem to position his winger. For the next big thing, he sure has issues compared to other young players.

Uate - The less said the better, his retention on massive money is a joke. He has no positional sense, can't tackle one on one and isn't breaking the line. What exactly is his contributing.

Our backline can't execute a simple backline movement at speed. Bronco's just shifted it left and busted us at will.

We don't look fit, the Bronco's lifted the tempo in the second half and we couldn't go with them.

Bennett was right in not endorsing Stone as the players won't play for him and he can't get the best out of them.

2016 will be worse than 2015. We are losing depth and haven't added any quality.

Why after leading at half time with a game plan that works, do we try and out arm wrestle a Bennett team, are we that stupid..................... answer - YES.

Fun fact for the night, Bennett has a very poor coaching record against his former team, he'd only won 4 of 19 games against his former teams. Of course we bucked that trend.

I walked out of the stadium, I wasn't angry, I wasn't disappointed as I have very low expectations now but I reflected on a club that is slowly dying.

100% correct.

A few players on big money who need an axe immediately.

Saying that, the coach should be getting nervous as well.

Nuffy

Bench
100% correct.

A few players on big money who need an axe immediately.

Saying that, the coach should be getting nervous as well.

My biggest fear is that Stone will get another two year deal. The club will write 2015 off as just a series of bad luck and give him an extension.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Although I still can't muster any KOTW points in the other thread, there are a few things I will say...

I at least appreciated the effort from BJ - whilst he is a defensive liability, he did try to get involved in attack, showed more enthusiasm than most of the team combined and tried to spark something.

And as much as he is maligned, our fortunes in that game were clearly affected by Gidley's absence in all facets of our play - defence, attack and general communication and structure.

Going forward, I think the halves combination of Gidley and Mullen would be the best pairing we could put together based on available players and current form.

One of the big things Gidley brings to that team is his ability as a talker on the field...in all my time playing footy, the good defensive teams never shut up on the field and I don't know why but you watch and listen to the Knights and the on field chatter just isn't there?

On Uate - his defensive deficiencies are obvious and I don't dispute he is technically a poor tackler but he is also often the victim of poor inside reads and defensive positioning which means he is left sometimes 2 and 3 on one and having to try for a up and in 'shutdown' play or back pedalling to try and slow the attacking move. Again the general lack of communication is a factor - a good winger is counting heads, calling out defence early to make sure you're numbered up.

Like I said he is ordinary but he's not alone in that back line. I sat in the corner where Cory Oates scored and the one on one last line defence effort from Gaigai was the softest effort of the night(which is saying something!)...if he could have crawled up his own ar$ehole to get out of his way he would have.

Funnily enough 5 minutes later he made one of the hits of the night in the same corner against the same guy?!

And there are still 15 rounds to go. This is going to be a long and depressing season ](*,)

Knightmare

Coach

:clap:

Well put! Considering Bennett's record against his old teams, the Knights impressive Monday night record and the Origin casualties, last night should have been a match even this club (in its' current state) got the win from. Especially after leading 18-6, with Brisbane clearly on the back-foot.

It beggars belief how the people responsible for the direction of this club can sit through a game like that, knowing what I know, yet still think that admitting this place is a rabble is some sort of elephant in the room...

Burwood

Bench
8 tackles, 5 missed, 1 ineffective

This looks identical to when Newcastle played Parramatta when Brian Smith first came to the club. The game plan was to direct all traffic down Eric Grothe Junior's side of the field and we ran amok. Same thing happened last night- Bennett knew exactly where to target us and fully exploited our poor right-hand side defense. If every team doesn't do that for the remainder of the year I'll be amazed.

As for our performance last night, I don't think it comes down to us being physically unfit or anything like that- we were chasing teams down in the opening four rounds and being praised for our fitness levels. We just don't have any mental strength and completely switched off for the five minutes each side of half time. I'd love to know what Stone said to the boys at half time to put them into that frame of mind for the second half capitulation.

Whats Doing

Bench
To think we were lucky to have played the Tigers 2 games ago otherwise we would have 7 straight losses.

We need to be realistic in a professional sport and the performance is diabolical.

Heads need to roll and we need to start at the top.

Btw - What has happend to our NYC or is this systmatic of our NRL team

Latest posts