What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R20 // Knights 16-12 Roosters @ Hunter // Fri 7.40pm

chinorocks

Juniors
I said to my non Knights supporting brother that whoever gets the job needs to let them play free flowing attacking football and needs to know how to promote and keep what appears to be our best crop of juniors in god knows how long. That game reinforced it.

Mamo, The Mata'utai's, Tyrone, Gagai, Tapine and the Sims bros will be the nucleus of our next great side hopefully with Beau there to lead them. We just need the right coach to steer them. Don't f**k it up Midley...

chinorocks

Juniors
Going on Robinsons press conference JWH got sent for something along the lines of that was a Forward f**king pass...

Given how quick he got marched I suspect he either had had a few words earlier, or there was another word or two at the end of that sentence.

I said to my non Knights supporting brother that whoever gets the job needs to let them play free flowing attacking football ...

That's fine but what took me a long time to follow was that Bennett has the same approach but there is first a foundation laid of the "simple stuff" (no errors, down their end, good kicks put in, pressure after the kick etc) that then enables them to do that.

We did that tonight. We played what worked up the middle and put ourselves in a position to "free flow" a bit.

I'd agree many of our last options in the past have become a bit too predictable but we really got them back peddling tonight to enable more options.

Yosh

Coach
I think Mamo hasn't got any good ball yet. When he got that forward pass, he was over the line in an instant. Looks like an amazing finisher.

Korbin is amazing. After the fight, put his hand up and took two or three runs that set, even though he knew the other team were looking to take his head off. The future.

Does anyone else notice how Tyrone rises to the occasion against the big sides? It has to be the way he is coached that keeps him in his shell at times. On pure instinct he is a wonderful player. Over structuring his game kills the flare. These young kids we have coming through are the only focus we should have as far as contracts go in the short term. Sione and Chanel just advertised themselves big time last night. A couple of big boppers to bring in as well.

Last edited:
I know from reports that Gids is on 400K , I thought Boyd was on the same or perhaps 500 K and Uate I have no idea but 500 K is a bit rich ?? I certainly hope we didnt pay that much for a winger did we ? :crazy:

At the time it was slightly overs but we had to keep him, he was our attacking weapon and literally a juggernaut.

Sadly old man Bennett broke him!

What a win, so impressed with the back 3, if seasoned veterans played the way they did you'd think they all had good games :)

Our line defence was insane!

Roberts what can you say, outstanding if he has couple of more games like that surely Gids can't come in for him?

Also Gagai at 5/8th was interesting as well, with a bit of practice his certainly an option there.

Noname36

First Grade
FFS Bennett didn't break Uate. He lost his speed and more importantly his evasiveness and the opposition worked him out. Nothing more to it.

He hasn't been the same player since he lost Doogs either. MacDougall never got enough credit for Aku's form in 2010/2011.

Last edited:
I completely disagree, who told him to stick to the wing and overcoached him? Seriously a guy like Uate should just be given a free reign not a rigid structure like he clearly has been.

What you said about Doogs is true though too.

Noname36

First Grade
I completely disagree, who told him to stick to the wing and overcoached him? Seriously a guy like Uate should just be given a free reign not a rigid structure like he clearly has been.

What you said about Doogs is true though too.

How has he been "over coached" exactly? Or how do you know he's been told not to come in?

I bet it's also Bennett's fault he dropped the ball 3 SETS IN A ROW last weekend which didn't surprise anyone given he can't catch. Gimme a break.

Aku isn't effective anymore because he's lost the things about his game (his speed and evasiveness) that made him great to begin with. All that's left are the errors.

He was so great for us during those few years and I desperately want him to come back, but be realistic, it doesn't matter what game plan he's given, he won't be Uate again unless he can get some speed back. He's a liability now. We had a whole backline of rookies last night and didn't lose a thing.

Whats Doing

Bench
I have been one of Roberts biggest critics and give credit where credit is due, he was fantastic in the 2nd half.

He stepped up in the 2nd half with Mullo gone and took the game by the scruff of the neck. This is something we have been waiting for the last 3 years. I would go as far and say that had Mullo, returned for the 2nd half we would not have won the game as Roberts always takes a back seat if Mullo or Gids is there.

The blue print for the future was for all to see in the second half and we need Roberts to continue to dominant the play with Mullo the link man.

Hopefully the team sees that and Roberts has the temperment to now be both the dominant lead and to do it often as he was last night.

Well done Roberts

In regards to Uate, Bennett may or may not have broke him but he did give him a ridiculous contract

I think he will be back in 2015. He needs a game where the ball moves. There are plenty of people today especially Joey who feels Gagai should be our 6. He said Sione will demand a place in the backline next year or we will lose him. Gagai with the ball in hand more often is just so dangerous. Isn't it amazing how the bleacher critics like us can see that for years and low and behold we knock off the Premiers against all odds cos we put a genuine ball runner in the 6.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
Could always move Gagai back to fullback and pair Sione up with Mamo on an edge. They know eachother a games inside out, and starred for NSW when paired together. Would also mean Gagai gets the ball more often, without the extra defensive load

PhilGould

Bench
Could always move Gagai back to fullback and pair Sione up with Mamo on an edge. They know eachother a games inside out, and starred for NSW when paired together. Would also mean Gagai gets the ball more often, without the extra defensive load
I think this is the best option. Sione needs to be in first grade next year either way.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Man, I must have missed all that good stuff that Gagai did at 5/8 because to me all he looked like was a stand in, which is exactly what he was.

Where are we suggesting Mullo plays? Have you all forgotten how important his long kicking game can be because we won a tough game without him?

Jeezus

aqua_duck

Coach
Yeah I'm sure it was Bennett's decision there...

You're saying Bennett had no say there? In the past Bennett has been renowned for letting players go who asked for too much, in particular a bloke named Petero Civoneciva. Bennett might not be the one writing up the contract but don't pretend he's got no say as to the allocation of the cap and the terms of the deal