What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R24 Sun - Warriors v Manly Warringah

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Garts said:
Thats true.

Anyway well done Warriors.

As for us I am not concerned, we did damn well for 60 minutes then we just lost our cool. We will towel the Dragons up at Brookie on a Sunday afternoon with our players back.

Yeah mate, 6 weeks away from Brookie, hopefully some of the hometown calls might finally come our way. Was pretty proud of their effort today

Rovelli

Bench
Manly also shot their own foot too of course.

14-24 but they had the momentum...then Orford tried to bite off too much ground and missed touch.

Cletus

First Grade
Beavers Headgear said:
Yeah mate, 6 weeks away from Brookie, hopefully some of the hometown calls might finally come our way. Was pretty proud of their effort today

We've been good defensively, and our attack is looking pretty good. It's been a great year really, I never thought we'd be in a position like this at the start of the year.

JB

Juniors
Looked like the short turnaround had an impact for Manly in the 2nd half. They were tiring.
Given the amount of injuries and niggles that were occuring it seems Dezzie had the right idea resting his players.
Well done Warriors! 1st final series in 4 years!

Shorty

Staff member
Rovelli said:
Penrith next week will be a hellishly tough game.

We can still fall to 7th (and have to play Manly in week one, with no life) if we lose.

A win, and we will come 4th or 5th.
5th.
We've got 3rd or 4th.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Rovelli said:
Manly also shot their own foot too of course.

14-24 but they had the momentum...then Orford tried to bite off too much ground and missed touch.

yep that was the 2nd turning point if any, Orford jeckle and hyde performance,
where was our $450,000 player (Lyon)

Shorty

Staff member
Fast Eddie said:
We can still come 4th.

We played pretty poor today.....but I'll take it. Good to see Wade back.
Possible.
Would actually rather it that way!

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
One of the main problems with the onstruction rule, is that it is ruining great decoy plays like the one leading to Manly's no try from Roberston. But in the end it was a 50/50 call that could have gone either way.

The last one I think was fair enough, there just wasn't that much evidence the Manly player grounded the ball.

As for the ref, well this whole year has shown up how bad the ref's have been of late so nothing really comes as a surprise anymore. (blame them all you want but their performances happen every game so get over it).

Warriors played crap the whole first half and really got away with leading 12-10 at the break through some good inividuals. I think they tried to play Manly at theri own game but were put off coz the Sea Eagles were doing a better job at it.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
We were pretty f**king sh*t today.

Manly did everything to gift us one last try and eventually just had to throw the ball to Manu to get it done.

I'll take it, but we need to improve, and a lot.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Beavers Headgear said:
Some of the best from the afternoon

Robertson pass to Hicks, 2m forward, Manly try
Rubbish penalty on Robertson playing the ball, Warriors try next set
Monaghan passes ball 1m backwards, forward pass called, Warriors try from Scrum
Menzies stripped of ball by Swann, called as lost, Warriors try that set
Robertson scores 1 of the nicest set play tries of the year, No try Manly

Those were just the obvious ones. Sadly there was a lot more poor calls than that as well. Penalty count must have been what, 10-3 in the end ?

The other glaring one was when Lauaki got penalised for dragging the manly player back into the in-goal. Teh ref claimed the tackle had been effected, except nobody had touched him! It was either a voluntary tackle and penalty to the warriors or a drop-out. Still in general Manly still copped the majority of the crap calls, and in the end I doubt it had a real effect on the end result.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I actually thought they got that one right. Robertson was collected by Vatuveis knee on the way through so that could take out the voluntary tackle doubt possibly, but i am 95% sure you are not allowed to pick the player up like that and carry them back.

IMO there is 1 galringly obvious thing that should earn Simpkins a week in PL. Straight after the Forward Pass try from Manly, the commentators mentioned his apology to Steve Price, then in the next set from the kickoff, he invented a walking off the mark penalty against Wells as the get square, and then from that ensuing set, the Warriors scored the Lauaki try.

There should be no get squares in the game from the ref, full stop, and he should be chopped on that alone

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Beavers Headgear said:
I actually thought they got that one right. Robertson was collected by Vatuveis knee on the way through so that could take out the voluntary tackle doubt possibly, but i am 95% sure you are not allowed to pick the player up like that and carry them back.

Vatuvei just clipped him on the way past but never actually grabbed him, so I don't think that counted for anything. If anything Lauaki should have stood over him and waited for him to stand up, then dragged him into the in-goal, but of couyrse the ref would probably have just called held anyway even if he'd just laid there.

Beavers Headgear said:
IMO there is 1 galringly obvious thing that should earn Simpkins a week in PL. Straight after the Forward Pass try from Manly, the commentators mentioned his apology to Steve Price, then in the next set from the kickoff, he invented a walking off the mark penalty against Wells as the get square, and then from that ensuing set, the Warriors scored the Lauaki try.

There should be no get squares in the game from the ref, full stop, and he should be chopped on that alone

I though the penalty was justifiable, although more for the shocking play the ball than for walking off the mark. He did walk a couple of metres forward, but that just shortens the 10.

Beavers Headgear said:

What they needed to do was not touch Robertson(to get a penalty for a volantary tackle).As soon as you touch a player who is on the ground he is tackled.This applies even if you drag him up in the same motion.The rule might be wrong but that ruling was right.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
oneeyedeaglesman said:
What they needed to do was not touch Robertson(to get a penalty for a volantary tackle).As soon as you touch a player who is on the ground he is tackled.This applies even if you drag him up in the same motion.The rule might be wrong but that ruling was right.

In that case I guess it was just a case of Lauaki not being smart/cynical enough, he should have just stood over him and waited. Stupid rule though.

Dutchy

Immortal
Congrats Warriors..2 good on the day...

I am over anyone from anyteam blaming losses on the ref...We should all be sued to poor ref/vid reffing by now..

See you in the GF with a full compliment of players.

Latest posts