What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R7 Sat - Panthers v Raiders *Spoilers*

Y2Eel

First Grade
nqboy said:

I'd say.. It rained almost all day in Penrith today till around 3, and taking into account Penrith had lost 3 on the trot and they were playing Canberra would not have helped the crowd...

nqboy

First Grade
Yeah, granted on all the points you raised but still...we've got to try harder to eliminate these sub 10K crowds that are torpedoing our average.

Y2Eel

First Grade
nqboy said:
Yeah, granted on all the points you raised but still...we've got to try harder to eliminate these sub 10K crowds that are torpedoing our average.

Can the NRL hire the dude who photo shoppeed the Roosters crowds?

Dave Q

Coach
No team that has been dumped on so hard pre-season has done so well.

It sounds ironic but every lad knows that Elliot had a big hand in the Raiders recruitment for this year and look at what 'his' bunch of disregarded no-names and has-beens have done.

This was one of the best performances by a club for several months.

Well done Raiders.

Dave Q

Coach
Because he was still there at the club and they were seeking his input.

That was his account on the radio last year.

He said he had certain obligations and responsibilities to the raiders whilst he was contracted to them.

I dont know if it gave rise to a conflcit of interest or not.

If so, depite all appearances, the Raiders clearly got the better end of the stick.

He changed a lot of things at the Panthers-a big restructure- he told them it wasnt an overnight proposition.

It fitted in with their board's philosophy of trying to retain the good juniors.

Its still very early of course, the whispers have started, but thats all they are. Nobody at Penrith is seriously concerned except their fickle and sometimes hysterical fans.

But the elite Panther cadre who are responsible for snaring Elliot will still back him for awhile yet.

You see they are in this "appearance of a mess" too.

If the same 2 from 7 starts next year, patience will wear thin.

The Panther forwards are in a 12 month slump.

That doesnt help Elliot but he hasnt succeeded in bringing them out of it on a consistent basis.

Thats the real worry for the Panther tragics.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Dave Q said:
Because he was still there at the club and they were seeking his input.

That was his account on the radio last year.

He said he had certain obligations and responsibilities to the raiders whilst he was contracted to them.

I dont know if it gave rise to a conflcit of interest or not.

If so, depite all appearances, the Raiders got the better end of the stick.

Hagen was still at newcastle last season and wasnt part of the recrutment same as Brian Smith/ Jason Taylor at parra..

Elliot would have had little or no input to who the club bought...

Dave Q

Coach
Y2Eel said:
Hagen was still at newcastle last season and wasnt part of the recrutment same as Brian Smith/ Jason Taylor at parra..

Elliot would have had little or no input to who the club bought...

Elliot said so himself on the radio. I told you that.

Hurriflatch

Referee
if you think that they had no inout then you are an idiot.

They may not have been on the phone with the new club 7 hours a day but they woulds've had some input

proof
Parra signed Todd Lowrie

no way he would've been signed if Hagan had no input

Penrith signed Nathan Smith
Souths signed Jeremy Smith

Dave Q

Coach
Hurriflatch said:
if you think that they had no inout then you are an idiot.

They may not have been on the phone with the new club 7 hours a day but they woulds've had some input

proof
Parra signed Todd Lowrie

no way he would've been signed if Hagan had no input

Penrith signed Nathan Smith
Souths signed Jeremy Smith

Yes thats right.

And then you have to take into account the players he wanted the year before that who were recruited and have been retained by the raiders in 2007.

Anyway, its not as important as the significance of the win for the raiders.

But lets say all things being equal and Elliot wanting a win at all costs, very few people outside of their own camp would have known them better than him. Thus any expert or inside knowledge he had, based on the result, was of little or no use.

Whether that fact is of concern to any of the elite Panther cadre, I dont know.

More worried about the players than they would be about Elliot and they cant blame him yet (publically) anyway.

The record shows that cadre victim John Lang was getting better results. As the losses mount for Elliot, so does the pressure and later, the ever-increasing expectation of long and happy days under the sun.

And if the sun isnt seen for awhile, people start get a bit nervous, ponder then jump ship and its "Nail Elliot time."

And the elite will have to conjer up another miracle plan, another coach and so forth.

And this whole pattern is pretty much repeated at almost every club in sport, not just our friendly Panther case study.

When they lose, its the players fault.

When they win, its Elliots good coaching.

And Lang was a proven premisership winner. Been there, done that but to the cadre's defence, he was unable to deliver on those elusive long and happy days.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Dave Q said:

He would probably have input to who the club kept but he wouldnt be signing new players (did the raiders sign any new players.. best springs to mind)

He would have a duty to his new club (penrith not canberra) into signings and such...

effnic

Bench
I actually thought the raiders were very average tonight, was just that penrith were that terrible, alot of dropped balls by both sides. All you raiders fans will be bought back down to earth next week though.

sydraider

First Grade
A lot of worried people are about.

Raiders won away from home, without their main playmaker.

That was a fair few points that were put on for " a team that was playing average"

Makes me smile actually, this raiders outfit that played " average" tonight managed to put on a few tries.

Still im sure we would be doing so much better if super coach elliot was still around ;-)

Im looking forward to next week, hopefully carney is fit, if we can play like we have been at home, it will be a damn good game

sydraider

First Grade
Sea eagles were exposed against the cowboys, some bloke named orford was put in the side.......

Lime_Green

Juniors
Dave Q said:

Elliott came under fire from Raiders management for being too involved in the Panthers last year. I think that's why you've heard him on the radio rabbiting on about still being heavily involved in the Raiders admin.

Just not true though in regards recruitment. Neil Henry hand picked every single signing to my knowledge. And we did sign quite a few new players (Best, Bickerstaff, Costigan, Logan, Dunemann, Kelly etc).

I think this must have been a very satisfying match for Raiders management. It's commonly reported that Elliott chose to ditch the club, but that was only because they were umming and ahhing about resigning him once his 5 year deal was up. When they initially only offered him a 1 year extension Elliott (who has a large ego IMO) had a hissy fit and went off to find greener pastures. ;-)

Mal Meninga

Bench
Elliot developed players like Tongue, Thompson and Miller who probably wouldn't have made it at other clubs but he persevered and they're more than solid first graders. However when you look at Carney, Dobson and Zillman... they never really got a chance which is why he should take no credit for them.

mongoose

Coach
effnic said:
I actually thought the raiders were very average tonight, was just that penrith were that terrible, alot of dropped balls by both sides. All you raiders fans will be bought back down to earth next week though.

You are right, if the panthers had played melbourne or NQ they would have lost by 60. However considering the circumstances the raiders played well. To win 34 - 18 away from home in greasy conditions and without our cheif playmaker is very impressive for this team.

Latest posts