What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Rabbitoad

Juniors
McCullough, Hodgson or even a cheeky play at young Smith from Melbourne is the type of hooker I'm thinking of.
McCullough offers nothing in attack and Hodgson just resigned until 2022.

Also, I wasn't suggesting actually spending that much on another centre. I don't think we need another player in that price range at all. Just that if we were going to sign another one, centre is our weakest position at the moment.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Mitchell Pearce is awful.

Has zero game management skills and has no kicking options beyond his pop corn fart bombs straight to the back 3 when his chasers aren't in a position to get anywhere near it.

Goes missing when under pressure.

Anyone who wasn't a famous players' son with that same skill set would have either been shifted to 9 or dropped to NSW Cup.

I think you're only saying that because of your bias as a NSW fan. Mitchell Pearce tore us to shreds when we played the roosters earlier in the year. Every single kick forced us back to our own 10 metre line. I don't think I've seen Adam Reynolds kick like that since 2015.

Whilst he is probably not worth 800k, I believe he is definitely worth more than AR who is rumoured to be on around 700k.
I think you're being way too harsh on a halfback that lead his team to second place whilst we struggled to finish above the bottom 4.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think you're only saying that because of your bias as a NSW fan. Mitchell Pearce tore us to shreds when we played the roosters earlier in the year. Every single kick forced us back to our own 10 metre line. I don't think I've seen Adam Reynolds kick like that since 2015.

Whilst he is probably not worth 800k, I believe he is definitely worth more than AR who is rumoured to be on around 700k.
I think you're being way too harsh on a halfback that lead his team to second place whilst we struggled to finish above the bottom 4.
Look at the players he had around him at the Roosters compared to us....

Rabbits20

Immortal
Look at the players Jonathan Thurston or Cooper Cronk has around them. This is a 2 way street bud.

AR doesn't have bad players around him. His form was of his own accord.
Well we struggled with a fullback most of the year plus we had disappointment with Gray being injured plus Jennings and Burns plus Talakai not delivering....

Farah being pedestrian at hooker didn't help AR....... our go forward wasn't the best either and we were like 14th for conceding most metres against us in the comp.....

Plus an ageing Sutto....

Look at Mitchell, Fergo, Tupou, Cordner, Taukeiaho etc..... lots of quality......

Storm have a very good side and all players do their job there........

Rabbitoad

Juniors

Sorry mate, I totally disagree.

Even playing us it was nothing but popcorn fart bombs. Our back 3 was just poor.

He doesn't direct traffic at all. That's why he's only ever had success when he has an organiser at 5/8 (Carney, Maloney, Keary) to provide the game management for him and why he's a failure at rep level where teams can't afford to only have one half providing direction.

Stick to arguing your point man. Please don't resort to trying to invent alternative reasons for why I'm disagreeing with you to try to discredit my argument.

Last edited:

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Just finished watching us hammer the Rorters and the Dogs in the GF on fox sports,I'm f..king pumped fellas.
God I hope we fire next year,I want that all over again,from here on in nothing but positive waves from this proud Bunny!!!
GLORY GLORY.....bring it!!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Just finished watching us hammer the Rorters and the Dogs in the GF on fox sports,I'm f..king pumped fellas.
God I hope we fire next year,I want that all over again,from here on in nothing but positive waves from this proud Bunny!!!
GLORY GLORY.....bring it!!!!!!
The boys really need to get that fire, hunger and desperation back......

Hopefully the freshen up helps that.......

But the boys have to want it..........

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sorry mate, I totally disagree.

Even playing us it was nothing but popcorn fart bombs. Our back 3 was just poor.

He doesn't direct traffic at all. That's why he's only ever had success when he has an organiser at 5/8 (Carney, Maloney, Keary) to provide the game management for him and why he's a failure at rep level where teams can't afford to only have one half providing direction.

Stick to arguing your point man. Please don't resort to trying to invent alternative reasons for why I'm disagreeing with you to try to discredit my argument.

OKAY SIR. Sticking to the point.

It seems as if the bomb did the job so i don't really know whats wrong with it. If it's not broken don't fix it. He may not have a fantastic short kicking game but i think he more than makes up for it with his running game averaging 0.35 linebreaks a game which is better than DCE, Cronk and Cleary. Also has a decent offload in him compared to most halfbacks.

The point about directing traffic is pretty unfair. His ball playing is excellent. Pearce averages 0.7 try assists a game whilst averaging 1 linebreak assist a game (which im pretty sure is the top in the comp). He absolutely kills it Kick Metres averaging 357.3 a game. Unfortunately there's no statistic that proves kicking efficiency (hitting the green, kicking it straight down oppositions throat etc). So what exactly do you mean by directing traffic? Does he have to point at where he wants his players to run the ball?

Let me clarify by saying I don't put Pearce on the same level as Cronk or Thurston but i definitely put him in the top 5 halfbacks in the game currently. That's up to the clubs to decide whether he's worth 800k or not.

http://www.nrl.com/stats/telstrapremiership/playercomparison/tabid/12694/default.aspx

I suggest you look at the above link on NRL.com comparing him to 3 high profile, high paid other halfbacks. * I know Cleary isn't high profile yet but it's only a matter of time for him.

Last edited:

doyen

Bench

It seems as if the bomb did the job so i don't really know whats wrong with it. If it's not broken don't fix it. He may not have a fantastic short kicking game but i think he more than makes up for it with his running game averaging 0.35 linebreaks a game which is better than DCE, Cronk and Cleary. Also has a decent offload in him compared to most halfbacks.

The point about directing traffic is pretty unfair. His ball playing is excellent. Pearce averages 0.7 try assists a game whilst averaging 1 linebreak assist a game (which im pretty sure is the top in the comp). He absolutely kills it Kick Metres averaging 357.3 a game. Unfortunately there's no statistic that proves kicking efficiency (hitting the green, kicking it straight down oppositions throat etc). So what exactly do you mean by directing traffic? Does he have to point at where he wants his players to run the ball?

Let me clarify by saying I don't put Pearce on the same level as Cronk or Thurston but i definitely put him in the top 5 halfbacks in the game currently. That's up to the clubs to decide whether he's worth 800k or not.

http://www.nrl.com/stats/telstrapremiership/playercomparison/tabid/12694/default.aspx

I suggest you look at the above link on NRL.com comparing him to 3 high profile, high paid other halfbacks. * I know Cleary isn't high profile yet but it's only a matter of time for him.

PEARCE has played in 17 SOO games & in each of those games had 16 mates to help him lose most of them.
For some reason the selectors have continued to pick him!!

I WONDER WHY!!!!!!!! Is it MAYBE because he's a pretty good RL player??????

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
PEARCE has played in 17 SOO games & in each of those games had 16 mates to help him lose most of them.
For some reason the selectors have continued to pick him!!

I WONDER WHY!!!!!!!! Is it MAYBE because he's a pretty good RL player??????

I don't like basing players off SOO. Queenslands dominance for the last 10 years couldn't of been stopped by any single player. Their spine is the definition of clutch.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
My point is that you don't get to play 17 SOO games[17 is a lot] unless you're a pretty good RL player!!

Yeah I get where you're coming from doyen! I don't even know why I'm defending a Roosters player I guess I just feel sorry for the bloke. Couldn't imagine working my ass off in a business for 10 years and then asked to stand down.

Rabbitoad

Juniors

Ball playing isn't directing traffic mate. Two totally different things.

"Does he have to point at where he wants his players to run?"

It'd be an improvement. Most halfbacks just call them into position, but Pearce does neither. That's why in tight games/Origin games when the pressure is on, his teams look so unorganised. Organising the team is the halfback's primary job.

That his pop corn fart bombs worked against us doesn't equate to, "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

It doesn't work in any other games he plays. Has never worked at Origin level.

That he goes with that no matter what the situation just backs up my point about game management.

Again, he'd make a decent number 9, but given he lacks the game management and kicking skills of a first grade halfback (the two major jobs of a halfback), I don't rate him.

As for the childish "Sir" crap, if I said that "you being in love with Mitchell Pearce is causing your bias", would that be a valid argument?

No? That's why it's silly to try to make up a narrative if you can't argue the point.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Yeah I get where you're coming from doyen! I don't even know why I'm defending a Roosters player I guess I just feel sorry for the bloke. Couldn't imagine working my ass off in a business for 10 years and then asked to stand down.
He wasn't asked to stand down. He was asked to compete for a spot because they weren't happy with his form.

He doesn't own the number 7 jersey, nor is he entitled to it.

This is just him being a spoiled brat.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Ball playing isn't directing traffic mate. Two totally different things.

"Does he have to point at where he wants his players to run?"

It'd be an improvement. Most halfbacks just call them into position, but Pearce does neither. That's why in tight games/Origin games when the pressure is on, his teams look so unorganised. Organising the team is the halfback's primary job.

That his pop corn fart bombs worked against us doesn't equate to, "if it's not broke, don't fix it".

It doesn't work in any other games he plays. Has never worked at Origin level.

That he goes with that no matter what the situation just backs up my point about game management.

Again, he'd make a decent number 9, but given he lacks the game management and kicking skills of a first grade halfback (the two major jobs of a halfback), I don't rate him.

As for the childish "Sir" crap, if I said that "you being in love with Mitchell Pearce is causing your bias", would that be a valid argument?

No? That's why it's silly to try to make up a narrative if you can't argue the point.

I'm sorry, but how do you know whether or not he commands the players on the origin field? Nobody except for the players on the field would know that. It's the same with leadership. We can't really assess that from a distance we actually have to be in the squad to see what a player brings.

Well considering his team finished 2nd on the table I'd definitely say the popcorn fart bombs would've played a role in them being so high. Hence the "if it's not broke, don't fix it". When you're playing the field position game in rugby league it is very important that your kicks find grass and most of the time he does. If AR could pull off bombs like that I'd be stoked. Quite a few of his bombs this year only found the dead ball line or just went out on the full.

My question to you, is that if you're a halfback and your deep in your own end what would you do besides bomb it? I think you would be silly not to do anything else. It's the safest option. It seems unfair to compare club form and origin form but I guess I understand your point. I just can't think of any other halfbacks that would've done better than Pearce. At some point the blame has to come down to our forward pack who stand down every time the QLD pack stands up.

Latest posts