What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Rabbitoad

Juniors
I'm sorry, but how do you know whether or not he commands the players on the origin field? Nobody except for the players on the field would know that. It's the same with leadership. We can't really assess that from a distance we actually have to be in the squad to see what a player brings.

Well considering his team finished 2nd on the table I'd definitely say the popcorn fart bombs would've played a role in them being so high. Hence the "if it's not broke, don't fix it". When you're playing the field position game in rugby league it is very important that your kicks find grass and most of the time he does. If AR could pull off bombs like that I'd be stoked. Quite a few of his bombs this year only found the dead ball line or just went out on the full.

My question to you, is that if you're a halfback and your deep in your own end what would you do besides bomb it? I think you would be silly not to do anything else. It's the safest option. It seems unfair to compare club form and origin form but I guess I understand your point. I just can't think of any other halfbacks that would've done better than Pearce. At some point the blame has to come down to our forward pack who stand down every time the QLD pack stands up.
1-You can hear plenty of what happens in the field and if you watch good halfback's play, you can see them directing traffic.

Plenty of better judges than you or me have criticised Pearce for this.

2-Pearce's nothing bombs are his ONLY kicking option :joy: There's a time and a place for a box kick, but not every set regardless of your position on the field....and no he most certainly does not find grass most of the time. He rarely, if ever finds the grass.

It's always straight down the throat of the back three.

3-So you give Pearce's one kicking option the credit for the Roosters succeeding, but won't acknowledge their responsibility in NSW losing?

:joy::joy::joy: Wow. You're entitled to your own opinion I guess

Fwiw I think Pearce would make a terrific 5/8. At least in the old sense of playing as a 5/8 anyway. Has a fantastic running game and can find a good pass.

Old school 5/8's were a second option as a kicker and didn't really do a lot of the organising which is where I think Pearce falls over a bit.

If someone else was running the show and he just had to focus on running when he saw the opportunity and or being a back up kicker, I think he'd be great. Tbh, Keary plays in much the same way and so the roosters don't really lose out.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
Fwiw I think Pearce would make a terrific 5/8. At least in the old sense of playing as a 5/8 anyway. Has a fantastic running game and can find a good pass.

Old school 5/8's were a second option as a kicker and didn't really do a lot of the organising which is where I think Pearce falls over a bit.

If someone else was running the show and he just had to focus on running when he saw the opportunity and or being a back up kicker, I think he'd be great. Tbh, Keary plays in much the same way and so the roosters don't really lose out.
I agree with this 100%.

I also think he'd make an extremely good number 9, even if he made the switch now.

Good defender, good running game, great enthusiasm, just lacks the important skills of a number 7 (direction and kicking game)

rabbitohs95

Bench
Yep 100%. I don't buy into the whole 'halves are just either side of the field' nonsense. I'd rather the traditional setup like we have atm with Reyno and Cody. Their positives outweight the others negatives so they have a great balance.

Rabbits20

Immortal
1-You can hear plenty of what happens in the field and if you watch good halfback's play, you can see them directing traffic.

2-Pearce's nothing bombs are his ONLY kicking option :joy: There's a time and a place for a box kick, but not every set regardless of your position on the field....and no he most certainly does not find grass most of the time. He rarely, if ever finds the grass.

3-So you give Pearce's one kicking option the credit for the Roosters succeeding, but won't acknowledge their responsibility in NSW losing?

Correct.......

He does run the ball more than AR though.......

Dogmatix

Juniors
In ordinary games for 2 competition points on a Sunday arvo Pearce is a perfectly adequate half

However in big games when the pressure is on he freezes up and is useless

The Roosters want to win the comp next year so Pearce had to go. A club down the bottom of the ladder wanting to improve can make a case for signing him but if you want to win the big games you don't want Pearce

Rabbits20

Immortal
There'll be unrest amongst the refs before you know;refs whingeing & resigning------after they get their full-on rant from Madge at half-time for making an error!!
You make me laugh Doyen.....

I know you don't like the bloke but he's a good guy.....

De tmTrajic

Juniors

I was always of the opinion that we should give the young guys a crack. I'd rather of kept local boys like DWaks, Keary & the like even if it meant loosing a Burgess or two.

Right now, having lost young champions but manged to keep a full house of Burgies we must invest in structure to bring through the next generation of guns. I think that's what is going on.
With the nights buying what looks like a very good team & the Warriors finally bringing on a management structure as well as the further strengthening of the leading clubs we may find ourselves in a bit of a pickle next year.
I guess we need to have faith in Richo. We have added, effectively 2 supper stars to our backline. 3 if one of tge young lads fires.
In the forwards we are depending on the Burgies reliving 2014. If our halves can prove me wrong ( &i hope they do) i guess we can be a very good team.

doyen

Bench
You make me laugh Doyen.....

I know you don't like the bloke but he's a good guy.....

I'm reading a Jack GIBSON book at present & I quote verbatim a passage-------

"The coaches who give the half-time "blasts" that we sometimes read about are mainly getting rid of their own frustrations.....their own inability to handle the situation. Such a man doesn't know how to coach...he doesn't know what to do."

I think Madge had deficiencies as a coach that frustrated him greatly at times!!!!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

"The coaches who give the half-time "blasts" that we sometimes read about are mainly getting rid of their own frustrations.....their own inability to handle the situation. Such a man doesn't know how to coach...he doesn't know what to do."

I think Madge had deficiencies as a coach that frustrated him greatly at times!!!!!
At times the players need to be blasted......

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

c

Doyen all coaches in the NRL spray their players. Flanagan, Bennett, Green all do it. Players are only human and it's easy for them to lose focus. A good spray is sometimes the best way to snap them out of whatever they're in. Unfortunately for Madge it looked as if the players no longer respected him as the sprays weren't even working.

Rabbitoad

Juniors
There's more than one way to coach a team. It's an art, not a science.

Madge's way took us from missing the finals to two finishes in the top 4 followed by a Premiership

Latest posts